Newest Member
    Toothache
September Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently he has a masters degree from Penn State in Severe Storms

Ah, David Chandley's replacement. Well, not his exact replacement since he's not taking over his previous shifts, his replacement in the sense that WSB had to scramble to find a 5th met to add to the team after he suddenly signed off. Brian seems like he would be a good fit with the rest of the team. My guess is that he'll start next Saturday October 4th since he's supposed to be the new weekend met. The only thing is Katie Walls is the weekend met also, so are they splitting weekend shifts or is she already being moved up to weekdays with Glenn and Brad?

I also mentioned this on another wx forum, but for those who still watch The Weather Channel and know a meteorologist there named Julie Martin, she'll be leaving TWC to join WXIA (11Alive) as the new weekend met there. I don't know the exact airdate of when she starts, but my guess is tomorrow morning. She's already been working with Chesley McNeil (behind the scenes I assume) since last weekend. According to Julie, she'll still be a freelancer for The Weather Channel. She said the reasoning for leaving TWC for WXIA was so she could be closer to her home.

Article

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/julie-martin-joins-wxia-from-the-weather-channel_b127789

Ah, David Chandley's replacement. Well, not his exact replacement since he's not taking over his previous shifts, his replacement in the sense that WSB had to scramble to find a 5th met to add to the team after he suddenly signed off. Brian seems like he would be a good fit with the rest of the team. My guess is that he'll start next Saturday October 4th since he's supposed to be the new weekend met. The only thing is Katie Walls is the weekend met also, so are they splitting weekend shifts or is she already being moved up to weekdays with Glenn and Brad?

I also mentioned this on another wx forum, but for those who still watch The Weather Channel and know a meteorologist there named Julie Martin, she'll be leaving TWC to join WXIA (11Alive) as the new weekend met there. I don't know the exact airdate of when she starts, but my guess is tomorrow morning. She's already been working with Chesley McNeil (behind the scenes I assume) since last weekend. According to Julie, she'll still be a freelancer for The Weather Channel. She said the reasoning for leaving TWC for WXIA was so she could be closer to her home.

Article

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/julie-martin-joins-wxia-from-the-weather-channel_b127789

All great information, I really like Julie Martin.  I thin kshe would be a good addition to that team.   My reason for posting was "Master's Degree in Severe Storms"  WTF??  Why would this guy allow them to post such a non-scientific term to their FB page describing him?  Not wanting to rock the boat maybe?  Is there a Severe Storms Masters you can get?

All great information, I really like Julie Martin.  I thin kshe would be a good addition to that team.   My reason for posting was "Master's Degree in Severe Storms"  WTF??  Why would this guy allow them to post such a non-scientific term to their FB page describing him?  Not wanting to rock the boat maybe?  Is there a Severe Storms Masters you can get?

I'm not sure, it is an odd way of describing a meteorologist. I take it that they're trying to say that although he has a masters degree in meteorology, his special skills/expertise is specifically severe weather. I believe it's the same case with Katie Walls, her expertise is flooding/flood events which is likely why she was given the special assignment of covering the 5th anniversary of the Great Flood of 2009 this month.

Figured you would all appreciate this.  I was up cleaning out mom's house in NY last week (she passed earlier this year).  Back in the day she would call TWC on Sunday mornings to report the local conditions, I thought it was cool because they would say mom's name on TV and I even got to call in once and they wished me a happy birthday on air.  Well, while sorting through the piles and piles of stuff (let's just say mom was a "collector" of just about everything ever made) I stumbled upon an autographed, framed headshot of Jim Cantore from so long ago that he still had a full head of hair. :lmao:

Needless to say that went in the "keep" pile and will be displayed somewhere in my house when I bring it down here.

Figured you would all appreciate this.  I was up cleaning out mom's house in NY last week (she passed earlier this year).  Back in the day she would call TWC on Sunday mornings to report the local conditions, I thought it was cool because they would say mom's name on TV and I even got to call in once and they wished me a happy birthday on air.  Well, while sorting through the piles and piles of stuff (let's just say mom was a "collector" of just about everything ever made) I stumbled upon an autographed, framed headshot of Jim Cantore from so long ago that he still had a full head of hair. :lmao:

Needless to say that went in the "keep" pile and will be displayed somewhere in my house when I bring it down here.

That's awesome!

I know a minute of my GoPro videos in 1080 are 500 MB in size, how large is that 4k video?

I'm doing a bit of playing around with quality settings to settle on something that balances quality vs file size that works for me.  Since this was the first attempt I cranked it down quite a bit.  The file is just 325MB.

25,585,752 bytes (325.6 MB on disk)

H.264, AAC

Video looks good jB. 4k wouldn't run on my laptop, had to drop back to 1080. Unless you have a super duper monitor, the extra pixels the 4k gets you are wasted.

For all practical purposes, 720p is good enough for most computers, and most display cards and monitors don't support the extra resolution. 

Even with my GoPro uploads, 720p seems to work better.

I'm sure it looks GREAT on your TV though! I watch all my GoPro videos that way. Actually, I have a Samsung Smart TV and it has the YouTube app. I'll try your video at home that way and see what it looks like.

Thanks.  I realize most can not view in full 4k presently, but that will change.  Since all the videos will be available in multiple resolutions I don't see a downside.  Hell, I might not live long enough for most to get 4k.  I might as well leave some clear vids behind.   :)

We still need a Woodstock, Schroeder and Peppermint Patty.

PPatty is awesome and it is an immense honor to be her, one of my favorites! Also, she often seems quite content. However, this may not last too long. Being without ice cream isn't easy, especially considering that I'm supposed to entertain Tony's ice cream (and liquor) loving moles at Tybee any day now.

PPatty is awesome and it is an immense honor to be her, one of my favorites! Also, she often seems quite content. However, this may not last too long. Being without ice cream isn't easy, especially considering that I'm supposed to entertain Tony's ice cream (and liquor) loving moles at Tybee any day now.

Haha! Awesome. That just leaves Schroeder, I guess....and maybe Pig Pen? I can't remember. Hvward did the list. Just don't call me Chuck. :)

Surprising.  Having to choose between an LCD or 4k at 30fps.  Get ready for a lot of grumbling if that is correct.

I want to play!?

Haha I love it!  All we need is a Franklin (any brothers in the house?), Schroeder, Violet and Marcie?(maybe)

Archived