joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, I just got done reading your blog post, and you have a fantastic setup there.  I wish I had the technical know-how and monetary freedom to do something similar.  I think I'm probably going to have to wait until the kids grow up and move through college, before I can do something at this level.  For some reason, my wife doesn't have the same priorities that I do...  ;)

Thanks! That computer was about $400 including Win7 Professional, which was about $140 by itself.

I'm getting ready to build a Media Server using this box. It's an Intel NUC. It supports Ultra High-Def video also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Unit_of_Computing

post-594-0-72086000-1410633344_thumb.jpg

Uncovered 3 fully black woolly worms today. So that happened....

That is awesome! That means almost non-stop winter from Nov-Feb, just like the Old Farmers Almanac said, we got Bastardi on board , we are batting a thousand! I think this winter will be epic for some in the SE and we will be telling our grand kids about!!

^ I'm guessing that the verification of the forecast is tied to the high country area. The article doesn't really say, unless I missed it. It would be cool if it turns out to be right.

On another note, I'll be up in West Jeff sometime in October. Can't wait! I love that area. I've got my eye on a nice track of land up there. It's just under $1.21 mil, which puts me only about $1.2 mil short. Another 250 years and it's mine!!

On another note, I'll be up in West Jeff sometime in October. Can't wait! I love that area. I've got my eye on a nice track of land up there. It's just under $1.21 mil, which puts me only about $1.2 mil short. Another 250 years and it's mine!!

Hahahahahaha!!!

You just haven't found the right interest rate, my friend.  Your $10K can grow to $1.21M in only 10 years if you can find a 61.54% interest rate somewhere.  Just shop around a little.  I know a friend, who knows a friend, who has a cousin, that says he can make it happen.

Hahahahahaha!!!

You just haven't found the right interest rate, my friend. Your $10K can grow to $1.21M in only 10 years if you can find a 61.54% interest rate somewhere. Just shop around a little. I know a friend, who knows a friend, who has a cousin, that says he can make it happen.

Is he overseas? As a matter of fact, I just got an email from a guy overseas who's brother was wrongly imprisoned. He needs me to cash a check for him so he can post bail, and get this: he's writing the check for more than he needs and I get to keep the difference for my troubles. I can help someone out AND pick up a little loose change in the process. On my way to that $1.2 mil!

Is he overseas? As a matter of fact, I just got an email from a guy overseas who's brother was wrongly imprisoned. He needs me to cash a check for him so he can post bail, and get this: he's writing the check for more than he needs and I get to keep the difference for my troubles. I can help someone out AND pick up a little loose change in the process. On my way to that $1.2 mil!

How could you not do that deal?  Winner!!

I recently built a new weather computer using a Mini-ITX format box and I absolutely love it. I did a blog post about it a couple of months ago. http://northgeorgiaweather.weebly.com/weather-blog/time-for-weather-equipment-upgrades-060614

Basically, it's a dual Atom motherboard with 4GB of RAM running Win7 professional. It uses a 64GB solid state hard drive for storage. I use to use two computers to do all my weather stuff, and combined, the whole setup pulled about 150-180 watts of power. With this one computer doing all the work, my power consumption has dwindled to 12-13 watts. The computer is totally silent and for all practical purposes has no moving parts. There are two very small fans that spin when the computer begins to boot, but they don't run after that, it's all passive cooling. 

I have GR3, three HD weather cameras constantly running, plus Cumulus, and the programs that upload the weather cam images on my desktop PC solely for my weather stuff. This would be a great option and something I need to look into.

With everything I'm running, it runs about 30-40% utilization. That includes two instances of Sebectec IP cam software, VWS, WD, WXMesg Server and EMWIN receiver, Virtual VP, Startwatch, VWSAprs, and Fling that uploads to two websites. It also does a Cron job from the Task Scheduler too. 

I use to upload 4 different GRL3 sites with probably 8 different products, but it got to be a pain. Since Mike has no interest in auto-starting the publish feature in GRL3, and I've gotten tired of fixing scripts to automate that process, I quit doing it. 

^ I'm guessing that the verification of the forecast is tied to the high country area. The article doesn't really say, unless I missed it. It would be cool if it turns out to be right.

I know one thing, if Joe Mullis pulls 9 big beans out of that jar this winter, there's going to be some tired folks around here come March.

I know one thing, if Joe Mullis pulls 9 big beans out of that jar this winter, there's going to be some tired folks around here come March.

Weren't there 8 more beans for smaller snows also?  It's going to be a busy, busy winter!  Packbacker and GaWx are going to have a lot of long nights reporting the Euro!

Weren't there 8 more beans for smaller snows also? It's going to be a busy, busy winter! Packbacker and GaWx are going to have a lot of long nights reporting the Euro!

CR, as of the result of the threat of a very severe winter, have you heard about the Congressional proposal to make us fall back three hours instead of just one when the time is changed so that the 0z Euro release will finish just before midnight this winter? If that is for real and not made up, I for one will be thrilled and I bet Pack will also be very pleased. The heck with my late day walks. Furthermore, I always have my IPhone flashlight to guide me.

CR, as of the result of the threat of a very severe winter, have you heard about the Congressional proposal to make us fall back three hours instead of just one when the time is changed so that the 0z Euro release will finish just before midnight this winter? If that is for real and not made up, I for one will be thrilled and I bet Pack will also be very pleased. The heck with my late day walks. Furthermore, I always have my IPhone flashlight to guide me.

I will support that bill!  Your late day walks would still be late day walks, relatively speaking....

Archived