• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter

mackerel_sky

I had it, my whole family got it, it was awful.  It took 3 weeks to get over, we all went on antibiotics for some ailment because of it, I was on 2 inhalers too.

I think my family also had it(or something) for the last couple of weeks. My youngest kid (21 months), is the last one to get sick. He's doing ok but he did get a rash yesterday(gone today) that tells me this is the virus.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got nipped by a seagull. Yikes!

Glass you guys are ok. Hopefully Brick doesn't have that.

Dude!  Turn off your autocorrect, CR.  It's not helping.  :P

I had it, my whole family got it, it was awful.  It took 3 weeks to get over, we all went on antibiotics for some ailment because of it, I was on 2 inhalers too.

Sorry to hear about that, packbacker.  It sounds rough.  Glad your family is now recovering.

Folks,

It is time for my annual Savannah webworm report. There are ZERO webworms where I live. Zero! This comes exactly one year after the record high webworm infestation of 2013! The trees had then looked like they had been invaded by webs associated with these webworms. Almost all of the leaves were brown way before the normal autumn leaf change. That infestation had been caused by an abnormally wet early summer followed by a sudden turn to an abnormally dry late summer. Currently, all of the leaves are healthy green.

Since a connection was found between high webworm activity and a cold winter, things are currently not looking good for the next winter. :(

Please put the guns and knives down. I'm just a friendly messenger. :)

Folks,

It is time for my annual Savannah webworm report. There are ZERO webworms where I live. Zero! This comes exactly one year after the record high webworm infestation of 2013! The trees had then looked like they had been invaded by webs associated with these webworms. Almost all of the leaves were brown way before the normal autumn leaf change. That infestation had been caused by an abnormally wet early summer followed by a sudden turn to an abnormally dry late summer. Currently, all of the leaves are healthy green.

Since a connection was found between high webworm activity and a cold winter, things are currently not looking good for the next winter. :(

I'm going to withhold comment on these thoughts until I consult a few wooly worms !

Folks,

It is time for my annual Savannah webworm report. There are ZERO webworms where I live. Zero! This comes exactly one year after the record high webworm infestation of 2013! The trees had then looked like they had been invaded by webs associated with these webworms. Almost all of the leaves were brown way before the normal autumn leaf change. That infestation had been caused by an abnormally wet early summer followed by a sudden turn to an abnormally dry late summer. Currently, all of the leaves are healthy green.

You damn worms. :-)

I'm going to withhold comment on these thoughts until I consult a few wooly worms !

I've had quite a few orange striped oakworms fall out of the trees recently.  I've captured one that was in the middle of the driveway a few days ago.  He's already eaten through 6 full size oak leaves I've given him.  I'll take that as a good sign.   :snowwindow:

Plenty of webworms as well.

I've had quite a few orange striped oakworms fall out of the trees recently. I've captured one that was in the middle of the driveway a few days ago. He's already eaten through 6 full size oak leaves I've given him. I'll take that as a good sign. :snowwindow:

Plenty of webworms as well.

I actually had a pretty bad infestation of green maple worms. They were ugly creatures with red heads and some black spikes. They ate two entire branches of leaves down to only the harder

" rib" areas! Nasty buggers, supposedly harmless, upon Internet reasearch, but tell that to the branches!

If anyone here has an Acu-rite home weather station, would you be kind enough to post your thoughts on it over in the "Weather Marketplace forum? They have a sale on them right now... $149 marked down to $114.

I have not had good luck with their products. Had a digital rain gauge from them and it lasted about two weeks and crapped out. Their small weather stations , seems like the batteries are constantly being drained and if I recall, fairly hard to set and did not have the atomic clock automatic setting . I still like La Crosse and Oregon Scientific products better.

My bit of advice is get a Davis station, you'll be a LOt happier in the end. And even if your budget is low, you can get a Vantage Vue (which is what I'm still running, at least through the end of the year) for less than $300 (you will also need one of their data-loggers).

You're best bet to to talk to people here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=collapse;c=7;sa=collapse;e89067d127=314b51f7baff03c21b304ddc83e0a34c#c7

If anyone here has an Acu-rite home weather station, would you be kind enough to post your thoughts on it over in the "Weather Marketplace forum? They have a sale on them right now... $149 marked down to $114.

I am 100% satisfied with my Davis Vantage Vue (4 years old and running well).  I strongly encourage you to go in that direction.

Later this year, I'm going to be purchasing a VP2+ with a wireless anemometer to replace my Vue. But the Vue isn't going away, it's getting sent back for a refurb and I'll take it with me when I go racing or on vacations. It will become my portable weather station. :-)

Mine's been running almost 6 years now with no issues and only one battery replacement. 

I recently built a new weather computer using a Mini-ITX format box and I absolutely love it. I did a blog post about it a couple of months ago. http://northgeorgiaweather.weebly.com/weather-blog/time-for-weather-equipment-upgrades-060614

Basically, it's a dual Atom motherboard with 4GB of RAM running Win7 professional. It uses a 64GB solid state hard drive for storage. I use to use two computers to do all my weather stuff, and combined, the whole setup pulled about 150-180 watts of power. With this one computer doing all the work, my power consumption has dwindled to 12-13 watts. The computer is totally silent and for all practical purposes has no moving parts. There are two very small fans that spin when the computer begins to boot, but they don't run after that, it's all passive cooling. 

I recently built a new weather computer using a Mini-ITX format box and I absolutely love it. I did a blog post about it a couple of months ago. http://northgeorgiaweather.weebly.com/weather-blog/time-for-weather-equipment-upgrades-060614

Basically, it's a dual Atom motherboard with 4GB of RAM running Win7 professional. It uses a 64GB solid state hard drive for storage. I use to use two computers to do all my weather stuff, and combined, the whole setup pulled about 150-180 watts of power. With this one computer doing all the work, my power consumption has dwindled to 12-13 watts. The computer is totally silent and for all practical purposes has no moving parts. There are two very small fans that spin when the computer begins to boot, but they don't run after that, it's all passive cooling.

What is it showing for the upcoming winter? :)

I recently built a new weather computer using a Mini-ITX format box and I absolutely love it. I did a blog post about it a couple of months ago. http://northgeorgiaweather.weebly.com/weather-blog/time-for-weather-equipment-upgrades-060614

Steve, I just got done reading your blog post, and you have a fantastic setup there.  I wish I had the technical know-how and monetary freedom to do something similar.  I think I'm probably going to have to wait until the kids grow up and move through college, before I can do something at this level.  For some reason, my wife doesn't have the same priorities that I do...  ;)

Archived