joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about a major, and I mean major, off-the-charts blowtorch being advertised by the CFS. I think this model nailed December 2011's forecast. If this verifies, we will be heading for a December that would be worse than 2011's in terms of record warmth:

(courtesy of Don S. in main weather forum)

AO11262014_2.jpg

lol after its biblical bust for November its re-named "Cant Forecast Sh*t" :lol:

Yeah out of the broadcast mets in the NYC area Craig is definitely my favorite. One of the only respectable mets that are left in tv land besides Nick Gregory, Lee Goldberg, etc.

Lee did a good job with this storm. He kept pushing elevation with November storms. That worked out great . Although he did bust in NYC along with NWS he at least acknowledged elevation would be key north and west.

lol after its biblical bust for November its re-named "Cant Forecast Sh*t" :lol:

That would mean the most insane zonal flow ever with the polar jet locked in place with little movement.

Notice the insane torch south and the below normal in central Canada. That would take a jet stuck completely in place to happen .

Based on recent climo it has almost a zero percent chance of verifying

It was right around this time back in November 2011 when the posters in this entire forum began cancelling winter left and right based on the death Alaskan vortex, +NAO and raging +AO/+EPO. Hell, even AccuWeather's Henry Margusity began to poo-poo the upcoming winter back then. That winter just brings shivers down my spine, and not in a good way.

Currently, I am re-reading the bullish 2011-2012 winter outlooks from various AmericanWx meteorologists that were made in October 2011. It's funny when you look at the one common image that they used to support their methodology for their cold and snowy winter forecasts: the November Atlantic SST anomalies snapshot which "should" imply a moderate-strong -NAO for the overall winter. That image from November 2011, at least on the Atlantic side, looks fairly similar to November 2014 with regards to the SST anomalies. If one looks back at the SST anomalies on November 2010, the waters just south of Greenland were so much warmer than the above mentioned cases and we know how that winter of 2010-2011 played out.

So where am I going with this? I would like to know the source of such confidence elicited from most meteorologists in here that there will be at least a moderate -NAO this winter, even though current North Atlantic SSTs are fairly similar to those from November 2011. Moreover, there was a moderate -QBO in November 2011, which supposedly promotes blocking, just like we have now.

No disrespect intended for any meteorologist here, of course.

It was right around this time back in November 2011 when the posters in this entire forum began cancelling winter left and right based on the death Alaskan vortex, +NAO and raging +AO/+EPO. Hell, even AccuWeather's Henry Margusity began to poo-poo the upcoming winter back then. That winter just brings shivers down my spine, and not in a good way.

Currently, I am re-reading the bullish 2011-2012 winter outlooks from various AmericanWx meteorologists that were made in October 2011. It's funny when you look at the one common image that they used to support their methodology for their cold and snowy winter forecasts: the November Atlantic SST anomalies snapshot which "should" imply a moderate-strong -NAO for the overall winter. That image from November 2011, at least on the Atlantic side, looks fairly similar to November 2014 with regards to the SST anomalies. If one looks back at the SST anomalies on November 2010, the waters just south of Greenland were so much warmer than the above mentioned cases and we know how that winter of 2010-2011 played out.

So where am I going with this? I would like to know the source of such confidence elicited from most meteorologists in here that there will be at least a moderate -NAO this winter, even though current North Atlantic SSTs are fairly similar to those from November 2011. Moreover, there was a moderate -QBO in November 2011, which supposedly promotes blocking, just like we have now.

We didn't have a weak El Nino in November 2011...El Nino causes ozone transport which warms the stratosphere and makes blocking more likely. If you look at other weak Nino winters like 63-64, 76-77, 77-78, etc, most of them had high latitude blocking. 

Also, we have more of a +PDO configuration in the Pacific, which means that there's more of a chance for a Pacific ridge/+PNA. This should also keep heights high over AK and allow cold air to filter into Canada and the Northern Tier.

I think there's more confidence in a favorable Pacific this winter than a favorable Atlantic, though both may be promising.

We didn't have a weak El Nino in November 2011...El Nino causes ozone transport which warms the stratosphere and makes blocking more likely. If you look at other weak Nino winters like 63-64, 76-77, 77-78, etc, most of them had high latitude blocking. 

Also, we have more of a +PDO configuration in the Pacific, which means that there's more of a chance for a Pacific ridge/+PNA. This should also keep heights high over AK and allow cold air to filter into Canada and the Northern Tier.

I think there's more confidence in a favorable Pacific this winter than a favorable Atlantic, though both may be promising.

Thank you for the reassuring words and reasoning. It just amazes me that we were able to muster out a great winter last year without any El Nino, pronounced +PNA and -NAO. I hope this applies to this upcoming winter as well, if we do not have any luck with the -NAO. At least this year we should have the El Nino.

When tracking season snowfall totals how is a trace added in? For example I had 3.25" on Wednesday and a trace yesterday, is the season total 3.25"? 3.35"? Thanks

Depends how badly you want that extra tenth of an inch. :whistle:

For my own personal records, I enter .1" if there's any coating whatsoever. It's probably true if you account for melting, compacting, sublimation, blowing, etc. (or at least that's what I tell myself).

Officially, though, I believe a trace of frozen precipitation is anything below 0.1", but as that is the smallest allowed increment for snow records, it shouldn't count toward any quantifiable accumulations. Since you make use of the hundredths place, though, it's your call. 

Its best to just ignore all the "noise" around here - and that  includes whatever type of tag you see below their  screen name. Also it amazes me when I hear of moderators that delete posts of us hobbyists with little formal MET training just because they post their own opinions of the weather and what they think might happen down the road  and it doesn't agree with the current thinking of the METS - or they are harrased by the few know it alls in this forum - well just for your info - Upton which includes METS with all sorts of degrees and experience in forecasting really busted during this past storm especially in the immediate NYC metro area  and not the first time this has happened - think about that for a while.......

When tracking season snowfall totals how is a trace added in? For example I had 3.25" on Wednesday and a trace yesterday, is the season total 3.25"? 3.35"? Thanks

its not counted at all - example is Upton received 0.2 inches Wednesday and they had a trace previous to that one and they have .02 for the season total

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.cdus41.NYC.KOKX.html

Uh, oh. Boy, does this sound familiar. I just got word that the 12z Euro and GFS 11-15 day 850 mean temp anomaly just roasts Canada which would cause the snow pack to shrink greatly. So, North America essentially gets devoid of cold air towards mid-month. Shades of December 2011, for sure.  :yikes:

Bottles and bottles of Xanax

Uh, oh. Boy, does this sound familiar. I just got word that the 12z Euro and GFS 11-15 day 850 mean temp anomaly just roasts Canada which would cause the snow pack to shrink greatly. So, North America essentially gets devoid of cold air towards mid-month. Shades of December 2011, for sure. :yikes:

Zomg

Looks like parts of Mid-Atlantic get some mood snow with a brief cold shot early this week from the gfs.

Looks like things aren't going to plan with the NAO at least. No signs of it ever going negative and that's huge in a Nino because there's no way we're gonna have the same severe -EPO like last winter to bail us out this time.

We should still get plenty of brief cold shots but the chances for snows will be few and far between.

Archived