joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAILS might be cool in the winter as well. You'll probably be able to better see the development and dissipation of snow bands.

Be curious to see if they implement in a snowstorm... my guess would be that they won't except possibly as a test.  In general the spacetime scale of a synoptic scale snow event is such that revisit times can be extended.  Mesoscale snow, upslope bands, and frontogenesis Windex events might be useful though.  It's easier to see orographic effects in a loop with extra frames. 

Be curious to see if they implement in a snowstorm... my guess would be that they won't except possibly as a test.  In general the spacetime scale of a synoptic scale snow event is such that revisit times can be extended.  Mesoscale snow, upslope bands, and frontogenesis Windex events might be useful though.  It's easier to see orographic effects in a loop with extra frames. 

Would there be a reason not to have it running during a snow event? Might be a dumb question, but if it puts limitations on the other higher level scans...I would think it would be ok.

Would there be a reason not to have it running during a snow event? Might be a dumb question, but if it puts limitations on the other higher level scans...I would think it would be ok.

It's a fair question.... in fact one might wonder if it will become the norm all the time?  Even if it doesn't add much utility in synoptic snow events, it has to be compared against the utility of more frequent updates of the higher tilts.   The investigation of this was the raison d'etre of our radar program.  In general our approach was always to weight the lower scans more heavily in the scan optimization, and do sector scans up high to look for storm tops in severe cells, but, like sails, always coming back to the lowest level one scan every minute.  In snow events, I would generally split the time between low level scans and scans tilting vertically, profiler like, or just off the vertical to do a makeshift VAD.  That's something you see more in Canada where snow scans have more prominence in general radar ops.

It's a fair question.... in fact one might wonder if it will become the norm all the time?  Even if it doesn't add much utility in synoptic snow events, it has to be compared against the utility of more frequent updates of the higher tilts.   The investigation of this was the raison d'etre of our radar program.  In general our approach was always to weight the lower scans more heavily in the scan optimization, and do sector scans up high to look for storm tops in severe cells, but, like sails, always coming back to the lowest level one scan every minute.  In snow events, I would generally split the time between low level scans and scans tilting vertically, profiler like, or just off the vertical to do a makeshift VAD.  That's something you see more in Canada where snow scans have more prominence in general radar ops.

I've seen it a lot recently even for meh synoptic scale rainfalls. Not sure if it's automatically put into place when is moved out of clear air mode. 

Definitely has to do with the type of trees too. 

Not familiar with South Shore, but north of BOS and into S. Maine has a high oak component, and they turn late with most trees having rather muted colors.  Red maple turns fairly early, and it's also able to grow on infertile sites (like swamps or snadbanks) where stress causes early color.

Overcast and 60s in AUG, but the wind is light north so CAA on the way.  FVE was 47 at noon.

Edit:  We've had barely 1" rain since mid August (though plenty before that) and the colors are the best, and earliest, in several years here.  The reds in particular are great.

Not familiar with South Shore, but north of BOS and into S. Maine has a high oak component, and they turn late with most trees having rather muted colors.  Red maple turns fairly early, and it's also able to grow on infertile sites (like swamps or snadbanks) where stress causes early color.

Overcast and 60s in AUG, but the wind is light north so CAA on the way.  FVE was 47 at noon.

Edit:  We've had barely 1" rain since mid August (though plenty before that) and the colors are the best, and earliest, in several years here.  The reds in particular are great.

We have many oaks, probably more than the north shore. But, a lot of the low lands of SE MA have vibrant maples facilitated by the cold nights. 

Archived