joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would there be a reason not to have it running during a snow event? Might be a dumb question, but if it puts limitations on the other higher level scans...I would think it would be ok.

SAILS only operates in VCP 12, which has added elevations in the lower levels for convective storm interrogation. The scan is also faster, so it puts stress on the radar. That and the fact that in synoptic events the extra elevations aren't as critical are usually the reasons why VCP 12 isn't used in the winter storms.

There have been discussions though about creating new VCPs that have the added elevations, but a slower completion time so that it doesn't put as much stress on the radar itself. So conceivably it could be something that happens in the future.

It said dry conditions promote brown leaves. There are not an abundance over bright colors this season in our area. Yes there are some..but the dulls/browns/yellows are the norm

Actually it said cool (but above freezing), sunny, and dry weather promotes sugars that produce the reds and purples. Drought on the other hand produces dull colors and early leaf drop. Big difference.

SAILS only operates in VCP 12, which has added elevations in the lower levels for convective storm interrogation. The scan is also faster, so it puts stress on the radar. That and the fact that in synoptic events the extra elevations aren't as critical are usually the reasons why VCP 12 isn't used in the winter storms.

There have been discussions though about creating new VCPs that have the added elevations, but a slower completion time so that it doesn't put as much stress on the radar itself. So conceivably it could be something that happens in the future.

radar stress is the worst, I've seen them with PTSD after a tornado outbreak

Really? Looks better actually. That is horrible logic from BOX. It's sort of a sheared out system so if there is a lack of precip, it's not because of the "dry pattern." 

But it's a very strong cold front..which did look like it could drop sig. rains even as of yesterday..but it seems to be backing off.

Tomorrow looks like you guys see very little too..Just can't catch a break

But it's a very strong cold front..which did look like it could drop sig. rains even as of yesterday..but it seems to be backing off.

Tomorrow looks like you guys see very little too..Just can't catch a break

Well I'm not sure if you looked at much. Tomorrow looks wet here and even for you. Saturday will have some needed rain as well. Both aren't going to be prolific rain producers, but it will be needed rain.

Well I'm not sure if you looked at much. Tomorrow looks wet here and even for you. Saturday will have some needed rain as well. Both aren't going to be prolific rain producers, but it will be needed rain.

I don't see areas west of 495 getting rain tomorrow. Just some drizzle. If it rains it's an ENE deal..and even there don't expect much

Hopefully some decent rains tomorrow.

Maybe the NAM will verify lol

Yeah... OKX is running in VCP 212 this morning. They've been putting it in 12/212 for every rain event recently. I like getting the extra slice for no other reason than the cool looking loops.

Archived