Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

Just a disaster for foliage lovers this year..just destroyed things

Dry, Dry, Dry... last 60 days, much of the Northeast running 2-6" behind in the rainfall department. #7news pic.twitter.com/7DwZT6ODqe

Bytd2AlCQAADCUQ.png

I'm not sure where you've been looking but we took a drive yesterday through Stafford, Willington, Ashford, Eastford and Union and the foliage looked awesome.  There were small areas nearing peak but most in the 25-50% range.  Most oaks haven't started changing much but the colors that are out there were awesome.  Lots of vibrant colors - even my 5 year old son noted the great colors in places.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure where you've been looking but we took a drive yesterday through Stafford, Willington, Ashford, Eastford and Union and the foliage looked awesome. There were small areas nearing peak but most in the 25-50% range. Most oaks haven't started changing much but the colors that are out there were awesome. Lots of vibrant colors - even my 5 year old son noted the great colors in places.

Well as most have been saying there are certainly some scattered brighter maples, but overall everything is very muted brown and yellow due to the dryness

I'm not sure where you've been looking but we took a drive yesterday through Stafford, Willington, Ashford, Eastford and Union and the foliage looked awesome. There were small areas nearing peak but most in the 25-50% range. Most oaks haven't started changing much but the colors that are out there were awesome. Lots of vibrant colors - even my 5 year old son noted the great colors in places.

don't bother,he doesn't leave his neighborhood full of oaks

don't bother,he doesn't leave his neighborhood full of oaks

Yeah, I think it's mostly a fishing expedition.  I see lures cast all the time and every once and a while I take the bait.

It really was a great early season drive with lots of vibrant colors.  I'm glad that I live in an area that gets over looked!  I'm hoping something will translate to a good sugar content in the spring, but I don't think there is a correlation to that.  My understanding is the most of the sugar produced in the spring is actually produced all summer.  Perhaps the fact that we were spot on normal will be good though!

Yeah, I think it's mostly a fishing expedition. I see lures cast all the time and every once and a while I take the bait.

It really was a great early season drive with lots of vibrant colors. I'm glad that I live in an area that gets over looked! I'm hoping something will translate to a good sugar content in the spring, but I don't think there is a correlation to that. My understanding is the most of the sugar produced in the spring is actually produced all summer. Perhaps the fact that we were spot on normal will be good though!

I posted a NWS graphic that showed dry fall conditions produce more sugar leading to more brilliant reds.

I think the rain threat is real. With that trof over the area, were going to have more than a couple threats of rain. One could be sizeable. Hints of a transition to something more zonal at the end of the run.

not so sure of that-i've seen many runs with rains and pattern changes on it the last 4-6 weeks-end result is this-dry/warm or dry/cool

2-3 inches of rain in the eastern half drought portions of sne on the 12z euro.

Be careful on that. Euro has been soaking us the last 5 weeks with a  rainstorm per week ..and instead we're all in the midst of a moderate drought..I could see some showers Saturday evening with the fropa..but a soaking seems unlikely

It said dry conditions promote brown leaves. There are not an abundance over bright colors this season in our area. Yes there are some..but the dulls/browns/yellows are the norm

I saw your pics in the other thread...totally UNrepresentative of the area.  You really need to get out.  Take a ride down 74 over to Willington and then loop back on 89 and go through Boston Hollow and the Yale Forest and return home on 190 and then tell us the colors are all muted and brown.  You can't point your camera at the oaks in your backyard and say this is what all of NE CT looks like!

I saw your pics in the other thread...totally UNrepresentative of the area.  You really need to get out.  Take a ride down 74 over to Willington and then loop back on 89 and go through Boston Hollow and the Yale Forest and return home on 190 and then tell us the colors are all muted and brown.  You can't point your camera at the oaks in your backyard and say this is what all of NE CT looks like!

I traversed the state this weekend from Tolland to Danbury and back and Tolland to south Coventry for soccer games. I saw more of the state than you've seen in a month lol.  There is some bright color as we said..but there is an overabundance of dull,muted colors.

I traversed the state this weekend from Tolland to Danbury and back and Tolland to south Coventry for soccer games. I saw more of the state than you've seen in a month lol. There is some bright color as we said..but there is an overabundance of dull,muted colors.

so 84 to 91 and back, you need to get into real hilly ECT,spectacular yesterday, North and east of you off the interstates. Met Herb is spot on.

so 84 to 91 and back, you need to get into real hilly ECT,spectacular yesterday, North and east of you off the interstates. Met Herb is spot on.

LOL...thanks for backing me up on that.  I've been as far west as Northfield in the NW hills and down to Middletown and several towns in-between delivering syrup and there is definitely more color here and just east of here.  It was better yesterday with the blue skies and it really looked nice with the sunset and ground fog that just seemed to popup right as the sun went down.

Archived