joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell we have had temps near 60 in torch cutters during January.

A very good point.  The hateful night where you go to bed with snow cover and rain tapering off to mild air and the snow-eating fog begins to form.  Waking up the next morning to brown grass with patchy snow.  Just the worst. 

That's bizarre. Why wouldn't you open the windows and get some fresh air in the house? I've had everything open all day and night to keep things nice and fresh. 

By keeping windows shut and house mostly shade this time of year..it keeps it cooler than if i open them and let low 60 dews and 80's into the house

That's bizarre. Why wouldn't you open the windows and get some fresh air in the house? I've had everything open all day and night to keep things nice and fresh.

I'm actually trying to warm the house up into the mid 70s just to store a little extra heat energy in the walls for the next cool down.

Must be fall when the fog sticks around for longer than 12 hours each night...although its technically been sunny or clear for the past 5 days, we've spent more than 50% of those hours at visibilities under 10sm, lol.  Its like 10-14 hours per day of fog.

I keep waiting for it to burn...MVL still with 1/4sm visibility at 10am, and we started to fog out last night at 8pm.  This stuff is tenacious this time of year, especially up here wedged between the two 3000-4000ft ridgelines in north-central VT.  Looks like the entire CT Valley is still fogged in too.

I was just reading Heather Archembault's web-page of listed achievements and accolades ...

Man am I a piece of sh!t 

Although I do pay a mortgage on my own house, and implement occasional fixes when need be.  I just rehung a brand new front door, for example, and yesterday ... began sanding and painting the new trim, now aglow in interior/exterior semi-gloss satin white micro-accomplishment.  I have recently finished composing a science fiction novel, and am submitting query letters to various inevitable rejections ... As well, I hold a solid employment as a software engineer, which affords me these comparatively menial conceits. I come home every day, after having engineered some IT object that makes someone's professional life, it is hoped, just a little more fluent, and think perhaps my next pay-check is procured for having delivered satisfaction to the man in do time... 

This is the life of the intelligent provincial.  Thoreau once spoke of how most men live out their lives in some kind of silent desperation (suppose he mean people in general).  It's funny how just when peering around about your petty little semblances of comfort and glory, is when along comes an Archembault.  They expose the phantasm that is one's self-inflicted allegory ... putting our worlds on display in the shimmering gallery of mediocrity.  

And what pisses you off the most?  It's not that others have it so good - no.  It's just that most of what is out there, that have catapulted these others to lives reserved for fantasies, are things you, your self, have thought of before.  

I was just reading Heather Archembault's web-page of listed achievements and accolades ...

Man am I a piece of sh!t 

Although I do pay a mortgage on my own house, and implement occasional fixes when need be.  I just rehung a brand new front door, for example, and yesterday ... began sanding and painting the new trim, now aglow in interior/exterior semi-gloss satin white micro-accomplishment.  I have recently finished composing a science fiction novel, and am submitting query letters to various inevitable rejections ... As well, I hold a solid employment as a software engineer, which affords me these comparatively menial conceits. I come home every day, after having engineered some IT object that makes someone's professional life, it is hoped, just a little more fluent, and think perhaps my next pay-check is procured for having delivered satisfaction to the man in do time... 

This is the life of the intelligent provincial.  Thoreau once spoke of how most men live out their lives in some kind of silent desperation (suppose he mean people in general).  It's funny how just when peering around about your petty little semblances of comfort and glory, is when along comes an Archembault.  They expose the phantasm that is one's self-inflicted allegory ... putting our worlds on display in the shimmering gallery of mediocrity.  

And what pisses you off the most?  It's not that others have it so good - no.  It's just that most of what is out there, that have catapulted these others to lives reserved for fantasies, are things you, your self, have thought of before.  

Don't be so modest... ;)

j/k Tippy...hope you find what you're looking for someday.

They actually are old windows..One of the things on the to do list

The first thing we did when we moved here 6 years ago was replace the 32 windows.  What a b**ch that was on the bank account.

I'm actually trying to warm the house up into the mid 70s just to store a little extra heat energy in the walls for the next cool down.

This--let the air flow while it can.

Turned the heater on the pool for my wife and daughter's last swim of the  season as leaves drop incessantly all around.

69.7/62

Don't be so modest... ;)

j/k Tippy...hope you find what you're looking for someday.

J/k or not,  I didn't say "me, my self"  ... I said, "you, your self" , because it's a phenomenon that probably applies more unilaterally to most people. 

My dream is to owe nothing to anyone.

Btw, speaking of drought ... Blue Hill is apparently about to put up the driest September on record - hm.  Maybe this has legs.  I don't know, tho.  In the three-plus decades I've lived in this part of the country ... something always happens to stop an anomaly from getting "that" out of hand.  Your going along with a 1995ian snow pack roof imploder winter and whoops!  Rosby roll-back throws a couple of cutters into Minnesota that fire hose the East Coast with 60F DP air.  Or when it floods ... for whom and where?  The geology/geography of sharp yet shallow hills stops it from ever being a scene out of 1994 in the Mississippi Valley. 

We do occasionally get the large single event.  1938.   Worcester 1953 ...etc.  You know ... in 175 something, a mere 20 or so miles east of Cape Ann, a "dormant" fault unleashed a  ~6.3 caliber jolt that violently rang the Terran soils clear to NY and VA.  Can you imagine that, now ... with Boston's sky-line?     Or, just a reduxed 1938, even adding 20mph of wind force to atone for greater suppliant energy via GW.   Blue Hill put up a sustained 121mph sustained wind in that beyotch, which could quite feasibly kiss some of the higher structures of said sky-line should such recur.  

We really have erected society's architectures and infrastructures during a multi-decadal time span of relative climate quiescence.   Society is sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb.   Some day, in the future, however improbable as it would seem to be, a 1938 wind monster will denude the earth right on top of a simultaneous 6.3 quake (triggered ...hell by the pressure variance from said storm), and at just the incredibly bad-luck timing, the electromagnetic surge off a 50 X-Class solar eruption takes any hope of a surviving grid down to utter non-existence (1853?) ... Oh, all, this happening during the inevitable Ebola outbreak that WHO has said wouldn't ever make it into areas of the U.S.  

Enjoy this lovely autumn folks.

I still have my pull down storms. I replaced the windows but managed a way to keep those adding a layer of warmth in winter and silence as well.

I like the storms you need to hang from the outside.  That's a good chore.

Closest I get to that is hanging up the barn doors.  I prefer the look with that one--probably because its winteresque.

75.3/64

Archived