joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an addendum to the discussion earlier, the Davis web site says their rain gauge is accurate to within 4%. Since precipitation is one of those variables that is zero bound, I'd say that means they are saying it will be zero to minus 4% accurate. If you don't have perfect siting and have a Davis, it is not crazy to think your rain gauge is under reporting by 10%, perhaps more, and over the course of a month or year that really adds up. Trees and buildings (houses) really do impact your measurement ability because they not only create rain shadows, but also record the blow off. One of my gauges is a Davis, but I also have the necessary tools for calibration, and my Davis gauge out of the box way underestimated rainfall. Knowing the characteristics of the Davis tipping bucket, I was able to calibrate it so it would be more accurate in heavier rainfall. If as a result of calibration I measure 0.27 in those truly 0.25 events so be it, the error is much larger and meaningful on the high end when 2 inches fall but Davis gauges are all showing 1.50 inches.

March can offer a biggie, however November is a nice month. Going into winter so you have winter weather to look forward to and the weather starts to turn cold and the whole feel begins to change.

I really like November, always have, dont know why

Most do enjoy more than Morch. Wouldn't be terrible if we could skip Morch and move into Mid -late May

I love November over March for some reasons already mentioned, but snow is not one of them. Name me all of the March KUs and all of the November ones. If an anafrontal sloppy 1-2" is your thing then congrats.

Since they changed DST in March I love it, skiing until 7 is awesome, March can be mid winter or deep spring, great month, skiing or playing softball in the same day. The one month that I feel like I live in California.

Since they changed DST in March I love it, skiing until 7 is awesome, March can be mid winter or deep spring, great month, skiing or playing softball in the same day. The one month that I feel like I live in California.

I agree. I like November too though...the step down into winter, the holidays, football, etc.

Archived