Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Arthur

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean the storm has been moving left of the NHC track for some time now (last 3-6 hours)... this is a bit more than just a wobble at this point. 

If the storm does manage to take the same track the 12z GFS is suggesting, the outer banks will gets the strongest winds in the east quadrant. That is defiantly the worst case scenario. Impact would probably be as substantial as Irene 2011 if not greater. 

I mean the storm has been moving left of the NHC track for some time now (last 3-6 hours)... this is a bit more than just a wobble at this point. 

If the storm does manage to take the same track the 12z GFS is suggesting, the outer banks will gets the strongest winds in the east quadrant. That is defiantly the worst case scenario. Impact would probably be as substantial as Irene 2011 if not greater. 

Looking at the radar loop it just seems to me that the east influence isn't happening or is much weaker than progged, watching how the precip field is expanding north into NC and westward in SC I just don't see why this thing is going to start going east a lot. Here in inland eastern NC no one is expecting conditions to be bad, if it follows a similar path to Irene or Bertha 1996 which this is starting to remind me of A LOT....then people even inland here will have to deal with near hurricane conditions.

FL winds, wrt it being a NW/SE pass, still very underwhelming on this pass. Little change in estimated pressure as well.

That's because they didn't fly into the E quadrant... did NW/N pass... not sure why.

Radar shows the eywall is finally starting to consolidate into a solid ring. I think intensification is not far behind. There is still plenty of time to get to cat 2 intensity, and possibly cat 3 if it continues to intensify right up to landfall.

URNT12 KNHC 031636
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL012014
A. 03/16:17:00Z
B. 32 deg 37 min N
  078 deg 31 min W
C. 700 mb 2920 m
D. 70 kt
E. 302 deg 13 nm
F. 028 deg 55 kt
G. 303 deg 15 nm
H. 980 mb
I. 9 C / 3048 m
J. 13 C / 3044 m
K. NA / NA
L. CLOSED
M. C30
N. 12345 / 07
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF301 1101A ARTHUR             OB 09
MAX FL WIND 79 KT 058 / 10 NM 15:10:00Z
MAX OUTBOUND FL WIND 69 KT 005 / 18 NM 16:22:30Z

Before I head out...

HRRR 

keep in mind that the HRRR is initialized from the RAP, which brings in a background from the GFS twice per day.   It's quite possible that this idea of a landfall in NC is legit, but this solution could also be caused by whatever in the GFS has its solution further to the left than most guidance.

That's because they didn't fly into the E quadrant... did NW/N pass... not sure why.

Radar shows the eywall is finally starting to consolidate into a solid ring. I think intensification is not far behind. There is still plenty of time to get to cat 2 intensity, and possibly cat 3 if it continues to intensify right up to landfall.

I think they may have called that pass off, and wanted to get a east to west path as soon as possible, it looks like that is what they are setting up for.

The dry air that did enter the circulation does appear to be short lived. Storms are increasing across the Eastern quadrant as well as partial eyewall clearing. I still see no evidence of the infringement from the frontal boundary over Western NC as of yet. Typically we would notice a flattening on the Western flank of the cloud canopy as the front advances E.  

The dry air that did enter the circulation does appear to be short lived. Storms are increasing across the Eastern quadrant as well as partial eyewall clearing. I still see no evidence of the infringement from the frontal boundary over Western NC as of yet. Typically we would notice a flattening on the Western flank of the cloud canopy as the front advances E.  

Microwave imagery getting impressive also... Looks like the storm is still strengthening...

gifsBy12hr_03.gif

Yup... And pressure has increased ever so slightly on this last pass through the eye.

Yep... the difference between today and yesterday is that the shear over the system is effectively gone since its moving with an eastward component of motion. The dry air that was around it yesterday has been getting mixed out, and now that we have a closed eyewall its only a matter of time till new towers go up in the eyewall and start another period of strengthening. SSTs again don't decrease at all till it gets past the outer banks so we still have another 12-18 hours before possible peak intensity.

Archived