• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Arthur

Good to get a confirmed dropsonde on the 977 there. That should clarify things pressure wise.  Also to note on the latest pass is a slight uptick by 1 C in the temperature differential.  With that said, FL winds are still only maxing out at about 85 KT...only a 1 KT increase from what we have seen previously.  I'd like to see another pass from the NE quad before landfall.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps it would of been good as precaution to extend warnings further south.    It seems there has bit a jog more eat of north the last few frames.   It should be enough to spare the coast line just to north of Arthur right now.   Seems Arthur is behaving as expected over all and land fall will be further up and east of where it s right now.

The eye of Arthur has become more distinct in visible satellite imagery this afternoon, although the overall radar presentation has changed very little. The latest flight-level and SFMR wind observations are 84 kt and 82 kt respectively. These data support maintaining the 80-kt initial intensity.

I guess what the NHC is doing here is that they only round down with wind obs, not up. The last few passes also have been less impressive so that probably made the decision easier to stay with 80 knots. Either way its splitting hairs.

Yea that is a little strange... especially given this wind swath. They are playing a bit of catch up with the last two or three advisories having to shift the track westward.

I know they believe hard in the turn to the NE...but I don't think it's going to be sharp enough at this point for Wilmington to miss hurricane-force winds.  I mean the center is literally 35 miles from Cape Fear and not showing too many signs of turning well enough.

can't scare away the tourists

That kind of claim is inappropriate and does not factor into the NHC's decisions at all.

I guess what the NHC is doing here is that they only round down with wind obs, not up. The last few passes also have been less impressive so that probably made the decision easier to stay with 80 knots. Either way its splitting hairs.

Yeah so far that one 84 KT SFMR ob is the only surface wind in cat 2 territory.  Everything else has been 82 or lower, solidly in category one territory which makes sense until the NHC sees more obs that can confirm a cat 2.

As aforementioned, for the first time really in Arthur's life, we're starting to see pronounced outflow on the western side as the upper-level trough approaches and enhances divergence aloft. This should ultimately help the storm begin to intensify. Although landfall is in 12 hours or sooner, the Outer Banks are very swamp-like; it wouldn't surprise me to see this try to develop even as it moves ashore. We've seen tropical cyclones intensify in similar situations before, including Fay 2008 which intensified over Lake Okeechobee.

you5Mb1.jpg

Yeah, it's always hard to tell in situations like this about the change of movement.  I think two things are happening simultaneously here.  As Arthur works to start to fill in that SW portion that was invade by the dry air, it gives the illusion that the center is moving further eastward than it actually is (as the center of the entire "clear area" shifts).  In addition, if you try to follow the old, larger clear area to gather a broader direction of the cyclone as a whole, there is a *slight* eastward shift in direction.  So when you combine those two, it looks to be moving way further eastward than it actually is (appearance is ENE due to closeoff, actual is probably somewhere around 25-35 degreesish).

Hey, what's up man? It's good to be talking weather again! Haha, it's been a boring couple of months...

Yes it is definitely starting to get more interesting. The core is in pretty good condition and he's attempting to strengthen. As someone mentioned earlier, the interaction and friction of the land could help the core tighten and strengthen just prior landfall

Yeah, it's always hard to tell in situations like this about the change of movement.  I think two things are happening simultaneously here.  As Arthur works to start to fill in that SW portion that was invade by the dry air, it gives the illusion that the center is moving further eastward than it actually is (as the center of the entire "clear area" shifts).  In addition, if you try to follow the old, larger clear area to gather a broader direction of the cyclone as a whole, there is a *slight* eastward shift in direction.  So when you combine those two, it looks to be moving way further eastward than it actually is (appearance is ENE due to closeoff, actual is probably somewhere around 35-40 degreesish).

That makes sense, thanks for the analysis.

Yeah, it's always hard to tell in situations like this about the change of movement. I think two things are happening simultaneously here. As Arthur works to start to fill in that SW portion that was invade by the dry air, it gives the illusion that the center is moving further eastward than it actually is (as the center of the entire "clear area" shifts). In addition, if you try to follow the old, larger clear area to gather a broader direction of the cyclone as a whole, there is a *slight* eastward shift in direction. So when you combine those two, it looks to be moving way further eastward than it actually is (appearance is ENE due to closeoff, actual is probably somewhere around 35-40 degreesish).

Yes, at the time Julian posted, you could see that the latest clear area was also clear at the start of the loop. But it will start moving more east eventually.

Best guess is Landfall in Beaufort/Morehead City in 6-7 hours Even with better organization that's not enough time for more than 5-10 mph increase in winds.

I think that will be the east side of the eyewall the west side will be back near Swanboro the entire island of Emerald isle will get hit pretty good but I think if anyone is going to see gust to 100 its going to be the east end and out towards Hatteras.

Archived