M. C30
N. 12345 / 07
O. 0.02 / 3 nm
P. AF301 1101A ARTHUR             OB 04
MAX FL WIND 62 KT 199 / 18 NM 14:57:00Z
MAX OUTBOUND FL WIND 79 KT 048 / 23 NM 15:10:00Z
MAX FL TEMP 16 C 179 / 13 NM FROM FL CNTR
;

Look at how much of the convection has moved West during the loop.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SATRAPID/anim16ir.html

If were just basing on satellite xtrap we'd be coming onshore mid SC

Comparatively estimating the center by radar it appears to be moving slightly East in the last hour.

A bit confusing to observe, and probably a bit maddening for those in the SC/NC coasts.

Comparatively estimating the center by radar it appears to be moving slightly East in the last hour.

A bit confusing to observe, and probably a bit maddening for those in the SC/NC coasts.

Yeah, I noticed a little wobble to the east as well. We'll have to wait and see if this becomes a trend rather than a blip.

intensifying storms will wobble, and throughout the morning the storm has made the turn more NE instead of north.  we deal with this every year where people go crazy watching the radar for small wobbles east and west.  it is important to focus on the overall heading rather than comparing radar updates in 15 minute intervals.

intensifying storms will wobble, and throughout the morning the storm has made the turn more NE instead of north.  we deal with this every year where people go crazy watching the radar for small wobbles east and west.  it is important to focus on the overall heading rather than comparing radar updates in 15 minute intervals.

Yeah, I am aware of this and not going crazy.  It's why I used a longer time scale and compared two products rather than a single one and used terms like "appears" rather than declaring.

I only comment on this storm because the movement on the satellite is so pronounced.

First center pass actually raises some questions...

Check out the temp differential. 

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 13°C (55°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,046m (9,993ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 14°C (57°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,046m (9,993ft)
[attachment=130594:grearth 2014-07-03 11-50-27-08.png]

Maybe this is temporary, but radar indicates that the dry air in the S quadrant may be mixing out, with a band of convection developing south of the eye. How much time is needed for the dry air to be converted into moist adiabatic state?

Eye is closing up big time on radar and the visible presentation has improved markedly since daybreak. I'd say that we've already reached that point. 

First center pass actually raises some questions...

Check out the temp differential. 

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 13°C (55°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,046m (9,993ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 14°C (57°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,046m (9,993ft)

What does this mean? Sorry, not very informed in the TC department.

Typically you'd like to see a bigger temp spread between the outside environment and the eye, but this first pass seems a little strange in my opinion. The second pass should hopefully clear things up. 

Arthur took a gulp of dry air and it seems to have disrupted the core for a time.  However, right now the storm seems to be mixing it out rather rapidly and I also wouldn't be surprised to see it look much stronger in the next couple passes.

Structural inner core changes may be dictating some of the more left than expected translation movement. I'm fairly confident this will be a landfall farther to the left of the forecast, and maybe straddle the NC coast for a good stretch.

Archived