Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late Spring and Summer banter thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing here about that winter was when it ended

Was a total disaster on the valley floor, in downtown Noho I got less than the IDW method suggests... mid 20s...

But the best thing was clearly the heavy, heavy arctic squall which was one of my favorite winter 'events' despite the obvious fact I got just an inch and a half lol.

Was a total disaster on the valley floor, in downtown Noho I got less than the IDW method suggests... mid 20s...

But the best thing was clearly the heavy, heavy arctic squall which was one of my favorite winter 'events' despite the obvious fact I got just an inch and a half lol.

That winter, Pretty much a fluke Eric, And i would gladly take another winter like it with a modest -NAO but more west based

That winter, Pretty much a fluke Eric, And i would gladly take another winter like it with a modest -NAO but more west based

I thought the NAO was very far west based that winter...

You are right that there was a fluky element about it, especially here.  Up there a -NAO falling off the scale might screw you more times than not.  We were missed repeatedly to the south and then the snowicane trended up into W VT/ NY over time after initial modeling showed the potential for a hit.    I was able to enjoy the skiing in over 3' of course, but a little IMBY would've been nice too.

I thought the NAO was very far west based that winter...

You are right that there was a fluky element about it, especially here.  Up there a -NAO falling off the scale might screw you more times than not.  We were missed repeatedly to the south and then the snowicane trended up into W VT/ NY over time after initial modeling showed the potential for a hit.    I was able to enjoy the skiing in over 3' of course, but a little IMBY would've been nice too.

Well i thought its was more east as we had a good 50/50 set in place as the -NAO was off the charts, I could be off with the positioning but the strength really hurt us as you noted, Great for folks further south but when your closer to the source, Not so great, We can still snow here with a less then perfect set up also where as others need more help with the pattern and high placement to the north

Hmm...is that accurate? thought there was less snowfall in sw ct. Wasn't winter of 08/09 another mid Atlantic special? Maybe that's the one I was originally thinking of.

I had thought that folks down your way had a decent winter, That's why i was a little puzzled, I knew Will had the map, But wasn't sure if he would see the post or not, I believe it to be accurate as its based off of spotters and or CoCoRaHS reports i think

March is not a winter month

;)

Guess that means we had January twice this year, with J2 actually bringing some snow.

March was comical-multiple days in the 70's and even a few 80's.  No rain either.  Had to be plus 8-10 or something like that for most locales

Despite the record-crushing heat of 3/18-23, March 2012 was 0.64F less mild than March 2010 at my place.  The AN-to-BN ratio for 3/12 was 20/11, though that included a 5-day run at +20 to +27, and the month also a day at 14F BN with a low of -10.  Ratio for 3/10 was 28/3, and that month is the only March of 16 here that never had a subzero minimum, and in fact never got colder than low teens.  The 2012 warmth was more spectacular; the 2010 mild was constant and dull, also wet with 6" RA during the final 9 days.

Guess that means we had January twice this year, with J2 actually bringing some snow.

March was comical-multiple days in the 70's and even a few 80's.  No rain either.  Had to be plus 8-10 or something like that for most locales

Despite the record-crushing heat of 3/18-23, March 2012 was 0.64F less mild than March 2010 at my place.  The AN-to-BN ratio for 3/12 was 20/11, though that included a 5-day run at +20 to +27, and the month also a day at 14F BN with a low of -10.  Ratio for 3/10 was 28/3, and that month is the only March of 16 here that never had a subzero minimum, and in fact never got colder than low teens.  The 2012 warmth was more spectacular; the 2010 mild was constant and dull, also wet with 6" RA during the final 9 days.

There are some here that actually believe or think its not a winter month......lol

Hmm...is that accurate? thought there was less snowfall in sw ct. Wasn't winter of 08/09 another mid Atlantic special? Maybe that's the one I was originally thinking of.

'08-'09 wasn't a M.A. special...it was actually a New England special. I have that map too...but not at my fingertips. I'll have to post later.

But the '09-'10 map is accurate. I check them fairly carefulyl and often post many revisions to them after aquiring more data from both posters here and reliable coop totals they are late to the party.

'08-'09 wasn't a M.A. special...it was actually a New England special. I have that map too...but not at my fingertips. I'll have to post later.

But the '09-'10 map is accurate. I check them fairly carefulyl and often post many revisions to them after aquiring more data from both posters here and reliable coop totals they are late to the party.

Man that gradient between the 27" near CEF to the 92.9" that looks like it's near Savoy is incredible.

:lol:

That winter better not happen again...we got some ski vouchers for Sunday River that expire next March, so we're definitely using them this winter.

Hoping for more of a '07-'08 winter...or if it is of weak El Nino flavor, maybe '77-'78. :lol:

That winter better not happen again...we got some ski vouchers for Sunday River that expire next March, so we're definitely using them this winter.

Hoping for more of a '07-'08 winter...or if it is of weak El Nino flavor, maybe '77-'78. :lol:

I really like your thinking, Luv to lock those up, I don't want to see that winter again an am not alone on that one as well. Lol

Man that gradient between the 27" near CEF to the 92.9" that looks like it's near Savoy is incredible.

The 2-3' in the snowicane up in the high country compared to the 2-3 tenths in the valley is responsible for a large part of that.   I also recall a Dec. storm well to the west lifting a warm front overhead... while certainly not a classic elevation event setup, I'd guess they did quite a bit better than the 5" of slop we got on the floor.  Also the nickel and dime stuff adds up of course.

The 2-3' in the snowicane up in the high country compared to the 2-3 tenths in the valley is responsible for a large part of that.   I also recall a Dec. storm well to the west lifting a warm front overhead... while certainly not a classic elevation event setup, I'd guess they did quite a bit better than the 5" of slop we got on the floor.  Also the nickel and dime stuff adds up of course.

Most of it was definitely in the Feb 24-28 timeframe...the event right before the snowicane on 2/24 was actually quite a bit more prolific...dumping around 25" of snow there...the snowicane itself was a lot of rain in the Berkshires...but once it occluded, it gave that band of heavy snow that had started in N ORH county (I remember because i got screwed by 5 miles) and then plowed westward into the east slope giving another 10-15" to them. It probably could have been something like 5+ feet of snow had the meat of the snowicane not been rain.

Also, the New Years retro storm I believe was very tough on the valley floor as the wind was out of the NNW for most of it.There was really a perfect storm of events to give the valley a garbage winter. Add on the 12/20/09 whiff to the southeast that got SE MA/SE CT/RI. Even my area got around 6-8" in that.

Bizarre winter on more than one level.

Most of it was definitely in the Feb 24-28 timeframe...the event right before the snowicane on 2/24 was actually quite a bit more prolific...dumping around 25" of snow there...the snowicane itself was a lot of rain in the Berkshires...but once it occluded, it gave that band of heavy snow that had started in N ORH county (I remember because i got screwed by 5 miles) and then plowed westward into the east slope giving another 10-15" to them. It probably could have been something like 5+ feet of snow had the meat of the snowicane not been rain.

Also, the New Years retro storm I believe was very tough on the valley floor as the wind was out of the NNW for most of it.There was really a perfect storm of events to give the valley a garbage winter. Add on the 12/20/09 whiff to the southeast that got SE MA/SE CT/RI. Even my area got around 6-8" in that.

Bizarre winter on more than one level.

Good point on the double barrel nature of those days in February.  The events were lumped together in my mind. I know folks like Logan were buried with obscene amounts and some of our poor friends in the lower Champlain valley that have been screwed in recent years getting hit very hard with high winds and heavy snow.   Was a great event to ski, but hard to find enough pitch in the S VT mountains to avoid getting stuck in chest deep drifts.

Good point on the double barrel nature of those days in February.  The events were lumped together in my mind. I know folks like Logan were buried with obscene amounts and some of our poor friends in the lower Champlain valley that have been screwed in recent years getting hit very hard with high winds and heavy snow.   Was a great event to ski, but hard to find enough pitch in the S VT mountains to avoid getting stuck in chest deep drifts.

Yeah I think logan11 had like 46" in the two combined, lol. The snowicane he mixed briefly i think, but pretty much was sweet spot in getting snow in both events..outside of maybe some place like Slide Mountain. The first event was pretty warm at the sfc, so you needed elevation.

That winter was pretty frustrating though from the standpoint of "what could have been"...one of these years the perfect storm of ingredients will happen where we get 5 feet of snow in a week. :lol:

Archived