• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late Spring and Summer banter thread

Damage In Tolland

Bad news for sure, and you're taking the right course, IMO.  I hope it's as correctable (or moreso) as my experience early in 2011.  My cordination and function began to deteriorate in late Feb, and within a month I found it very difficult to walk on uneven terrain, and my shoe-tying skill had regressed to that of a 4-yr-old.  An MRI revealed spinal stenosis at C-4 due to a herniated disc, and my PCP added that one wrong landing from a simple fall could mean quadriplegia.  The neurosurgeon to whom he referred me added that the site was probably high enough that breathing would also be affected.  He also said he had an opening the next afternoon in which he could perform fusion surgery, and "I highly recommend that you take it."  Sold!!  He cautioned that while the surgery was essentially 100% successful at halting further degradation, only about half the patients with this condition and resulting nerve damage gained back significant function, though he felt confident I'd be in that half.  He said that the trigger for the herniation probably occurred years before, and that my spinal cord had "hidden" in the channel but had finally run out of room.  Thirty years before, I was in a pickup that ran head-on into a fully loaded logging truck (2 tons vs 70, +25 mph to -20 in a fraction fo a second) and I think that may have begun the process.

My operation was two-level fusion, with the front of C-4 removed along with the discs above and below, and a piece of cadaver bone (they used to take it from patient's hip, which meant ++pain and no better outcome) put in place between C-3 and C-5, then anchored with a plate and four screws.  (Trivia:  Same location as Peyton's surgery, though his was one level. Thus the only significant difference between us was 30 yr and $100 million.)  Surgery was Friday afternoon, and by luchtime Saturday I could feel an increase in function, enough so I was allowed to go home that afternoon.  Post-op I feel that I've regained about 80% of the lost strength but only about 60% of coordination, so I need to be careful when bushwhacking thru the woods.  That recovery occurred over a 6-9 month period, as is the usual.  The plate/screws were proven to be strong, as 8 months post-op I tripped over a log while rapidly walking downhill in the woods and did a solid faceplant that produced a neck stinger.  Some residual stiff neck pains on occasion, which I'm confident are related only to the fall and not to the previous issue.

Ugh, That is the procedure i am avoiding except its in the lumbar area of the back, When dealing with the spine, There are always complicating factors no matter where the issues lie, Mine are pretty extensive but not the point that yours and Jays could possibly be yet

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB cancels winter for good!!!

-

JB..... Enjoy it ( THIS WINTER ) , as there will be a flip in the coming few years, and a series of non winters is likely to develop for Winter weather lovers in the east and south..

Many of you who have really only been interested since 2000 would think the last 15 years or so are the norm . They were not .

When the flip does come , and it will and we get to re live the winters of the 1980`s again and you will look back at the last 15 years

with astonishment and say wow those winters were truly great .

-

guess he's banking on the -AMO sucking for us as it did in the 80's

So does anyone have any ideas why a weather station would suddenly produce large error in dew points at night, but seem perfectly reasonable during the day?  The last several nights the Davis here has been dropping to dews in the mid 30s... but after sunrise it comes back up to the 50s where it belongs... puzzling

So does anyone have any ideas why a weather station would suddenly produce large error in dew points at night, but seem perfectly reasonable during the day?  The last several nights the Davis here has been dropping to dews in the mid 30s... but after sunrise it comes back up to the 50s where it belongs... puzzling

Actual dew/condensation on the unit itself?

Archived