• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

I know you are excited, but I definitely would keep in mind that the euro could tick east over the next run or two. Maybe it doesn't it and scores a huge victory....but as someone who has been on the line and disappointed before....I just hate to see some of you get let down. Hopefully it works out.

Oh I expect disappointment..lol.

We will know in 90 min. Any tick eastward by the euro and I expect nothing more than 2"..

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ggem is significantly west. There's no denying what happened at 12z IMO. I doubt that focus change is over. Even if that drops us in the middle of the euro/this run compromise it's a major late year snow down here.

Uk didn't seem to back off to me. Assuming because of panel lapse but looks like 1+ on the cape?

People don't give you enough credit. Keep up the PBP!

Nothing has changed regarding the ern low itself. What could change is the low position...those are two different things. 

Will disagree.  Superficially maybe not, but aloft it has. 

With the slower and deeper approach of the trailing energy we will have a more northerly trajectory of that offshore low.   The result is the eventual bombogenesis occurs much further west.

The NAM/GFS and some others are still really struggling offshore and IMO are allowing that to run amuck a bit too much, and still escape just a little (few hours) too far.  Changes the whole outcome.

I'm actually with Bastardi for once, but I don't think the GGEM this run is dramatically far off one way or the other.  This is a pretty good solution IMO for the hand off.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html  perfect example there....picture a slightly more intense western system and an eastern system that doesn't escape as far out before it all starts to rotate.   Dramatically different to a POINT and people need to realize that. It can only go so far west because it's the pivoting of two systems.

My feeling on it is the low should be about 1/3 or maybe 1/2 the way further NW towards the BM vs this prog at 48 hours

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Comfortable with that for now, a stronger western low inevitably tugs the development a little further west and we get a more rapid consolidation down around 70 as the low moves SE of the BM. 

I think that tweet implies something entirely different which is no real offshore "low" at that point and instead the low off Hatteras blowing up.  I don't think that's really the case, I think it may be strong enough though to help slam everything a little further NW just in time.

We'll see.

GFS ENS?

Will disagree. Superficially maybe not, but aloft it has.

With the slower and deeper approach of the trailing energy we will have a more northerly trajectory of that offshore low. The result is the eventual bombogenesis occurs much further west.

The NAM/GFS and some others are still really struggling offshore and IMO are allowing that to run amuck a bit too much, and still escape just a little (few hours) too far. Changes the whole outcome.

I'm actually with Bastardi for once, but I don't think the GGEM this run is dramatically far off one way or the other. This is a pretty good solution IMO for the hand off.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html perfect example there....picture a slightly more intense western system and an eastern system that doesn't escape as far out before it all starts to rotate. Dramatically different to a POINT and people need to realize that. It can only go so far west because it's the pivoting of two systems.

I said nothing about aloft. Eastern low is an eastern low. I said location could change which means farther west and more north, or east and farther out to sea. Obviously that is driven by changes aloft.

I had a feeling you would PBP this yesterday. Remember when I told you last week you weren't done? Trust Scooter.

I said nothing about aloft. Eastern low is an eastern low. I said location could change which means farther west and more north, or east and farther out to sea. Obviously that is driven by changes aloft.

I had a feeling you would PBP this yesterday. Remember when I told you last week you weren't done? Trust Scooter.

Was mostly disinterested until these shifts this morning.  We've had several systems that failed to congeal in time this winter so those eastern solutions weren't standing out.   But it's no longer a matter of a 500mb developing out of nowhere..there's a large shift in the speed of the features aloft and that's playing out pretty dramatically.

It can only get so far NW.  But with the gradient that will be there on such a development, even 50 more miles is an enormous difference.

The GGEM seems like a reasonable compromise to me which is somewhere between 1 and 46" for me because I can't tell due to the map quality.  It's very close, and the RGEM too.  

east of the canal is a different world

Not according to the GEFS which is still just a very minor/nuisance event until ACK.  Coating to an inch or two for the entire Cape on the 12z GEFS.    Will have to see what the Euro does, given what the GFS was doing offshore I think I'd lean away from anything GFS based.

NCEP model diagnostic seems very reasonable.  An overall adjustment east in the OP Euro seems likely but I do think there will be an inevitable shift west up this way in some of the eastern outliers.  The net result is the focus is where KTAN has it. 

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

101 PM EDT MON MAR 24 2014

VALID MAR 24/1200 UTC THRU MAR 28/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

==================================================

12Z NAM/GFS EVALUATION AND PRELIMINARY PREFERENCES

NAM/GFS INITIALIZATION ERRORS DO NOT APPEAR TO

SIGNIFICANTLY AFFECT THEIR LARGE SCALE OUTPUT.

...STORM AFFECTING THE EAST COAST...

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 00Z ECMWF WITH ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN

OTHER APPLICABLE SOLUTIONS: 12Z NAM/GFS AND 00Z UKMET

THE MODELS SHOW GOOD AGREEMENT ALOFT AND ARE INCREASINGLY

AGREEABLE IN THE LOW LEVELS. BY 26/00Z ELONGATED LOW PRESSURE

SHOULD EXIST OFF THE CAROLINA COAST WITH TWO EMBEDDED CIRCULATION

CENTERS. THE LOW FARTHER OUT TO SEA WILL BE IN THE PRIMARY

BAROCLINIC ZONE AND SHOULD BE THE DOMINANT INFLUENCE ON STORM

TRACK THROUGH TIME. SOME SOLUTIONS...HOWEVER...SUCH AS THE 00Z

ECMWF AND UKMET EMPHASIZE THE INTENSITY OF THE SECOND LOW...CLOSER

TO THE COAST...AND TUCKED UNDER THE GREATER MID LEVEL HEIGHT

FALLS. THE EFFECT OF THIS IS TO PULL THE OVERALL STORM TRACK

CLOSER TO THE COAST ONCE A CONSOLIDATED LOW LEVEL CYCLONE FORMS BY

WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE ECMWF HAS HAD A TENDENCY TO DO THIS OVER

THE WINTER WITH VARIED RESULTS. THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN SHOWS LESS

EMPHASIS ON THE SECONDARY LOW...WITH A RESULTANT TRACK ABOUT 75 NM

EAST OF THE ECMWF. OVERALL...THE RUN TO RUN CONSISTENCY OF THE

ECMWF AND ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN GIVE US GREATER CONFIDENCE IN

BLENDING THEIR SOLUTIONS TO ARRIVE AT THE MOST LIKELY SOLUTION.

BUT CONVERGENCE OF THE OTHER MODELS DOES BRING THEM INTO PLAY.

THE 12Z NAM IS ACTUALLY VERY SIMILAR TO THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE

MEAN FOR INTENSITY AND TRACK. IT IS SLIGHTLY COOLER IN THE THERMAL

FIELDS...ESPECIALLY ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE SYSTEM. THE 12Z GFS

ALSO TRACKS ALONG WITH THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN...BUT SOMEWHAT WEAK

AT THE SURFACE AND 850 MB. THERE ARE NUMEROUS 06Z GEFS MEMBERS

THAT SUPPORT THE DEEPER SOLUTIONS...DIPPING BELOW 970 MB BY 26/12Z.

post-910-0-15493300-1395675059_zpseeda11

This should be the image that captures the biggest issue with this system right now. The uncertainty HAS NOT decreased much in the last 2-4 days. This is because most of the uncertainty is driven by convective processes which haven't yet taken place. I was trying to key on a shortwave feature ejecting out of NW Canada, but truth be told, the uncertainty is really being driven by this shortwave interacting with the strong baroclinicity downstream in the eastern US. This is why we are seeing a double barrel low situation, where one sea level pressure minima is driven by the dynamics and the other driven by the explosion of convection expected in the 24-48 hour range.

The problem is that convective processes in the global models are still parameterized and are likely helping to increase the uncertainty between the different model agencies.  

This should be the image that captures the biggest issue with this system right now. The uncertainty HAS NOT decreased much in the last 2-4 days. This is because most of the uncertainty is driven by convective processes which haven't yet taken place. I was trying to key on a shortwave feature ejecting out of NW Canada, but truth be told, the uncertainty is really being driven by this shortwave interacting with the strong baroclinicity downstream in the eastern US. This is why we are seeing a double barrel low situation, where one sea level pressure minima is driven by the dynamics and the other driven by the explosion of convection expected in the 24-48 hour range.

The problem is that convective processes in the global models are still parameterized and are likely helping to increase the uncertainty between the different model agencies.  

I agree 100%, I will absolutely not be surprised if the evolution of this storm from the coast of GA to Cape Cod is a total nowcast deal.

I am simply bullish on the uncertainty associated with this system.

Archived