amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it is a real possibility, though I wouldn't favor it.

No offense but it's a nonsensical thought. Every major big coastal has an inverted trof component. To say this is even modeled as the predominant feature in this case is wrong, A big coastal has been in the guidance ...all guidance just different loci for days and days and now.

No offense but it's a nonsensical thought. Every major big coastal has an inverted trof component. To say this is even modeled as the predominant feature in this case is wrong, A big coastal has been in the guidance ...all guidance just different loci for days and days and now.

No one is favoring that as an outcome in this particular case, but it does happen, Jerry.

I'm not so sure, Jerry.  There has been a considerable amount of solutions showing a double-barreled low.  I believe this a symptom of a combination of convection and the lead shortwave getting out too far ahead of the northern stream.  If they get a bit further separated, you'll have the primary being the escaping southern low with an inverted trough back to the coast with the northern stream energy pouring in. 

my thoughts mean little but this run reminded me very much of Jan 11 modeling, what ended up happening is the Eastern lp sig faded with time. That was an interesting development today,one the GGEM had 2 days ago. When you see the boobs look on models often one LP ends up being real the other a Convective feedback issue. Something to watch tomorrow.

@BigJoeBastardi: UKMET now with same map for Wednesday for 3 straight days. Like this position best Wed am http://t.co/plBvBti7Nu

Ill give JB credit here, going with the most consistent model right now the past three days is smart IMO. It literally hasnt wavered much at all, i dont know the UKMET verification scores at this rangr but it cant be too far from the rest of the globals

All part of the waffle game. I actually liked how the west looked and a second piece of energy coming down.

Yea, its out to 72 hours on Levi's website and there is definitely more energy hanging back west (kicking trough is also further west). The problem is the first s/w that's ahead of the more potent shortwave is stronger and thus there is not as much ridging downstream (subtropical ridging weaker). A good case of one portion of the initial conditions counteracting the other. 

Yea, its out to 72 hours on Levi's website and there is definitely more energy hanging back west (kicking trough is also further west). The problem is the GFS phasing of energy is less clean. Just the solution is weaker in roughly the same location. 

Yeah You can see that early in the game. The heights from the Great lakes eastward had a more zonal flow and didn't buckle as much as 12z did. It really does not sway me one bit either way to be honest.

Ill give JB credit here, going with the most consistent model right now the past three days is smart IMO. It literally hasnt wavered much at all, i dont know the UKMET verification scores at this rangr but it cant be too far from the rest of the globals

Gfs hasnt wavered much either. I cant recall ukie being a preferred guidance of choice for big coastals, but joe knows this and joes knows that...i know crap.

Gfs hasnt wavered much either. I cant recall ukie being a preferred guidance of choice for big coastals, but joe knows this and joes knows that...i know crap.

As far as the forecast map goes its pretty much been dead set for three days now and the EURO/GFS have actually wavered some. Who knows, may be just noise and i do agree the UKMET really isnt the global model of choice i know that! :lol:

Yeah You can see that early in the game. The heights from the Great lakes eastward had a more zonal flow and didn't buckle as much as 12z did. It really does not sway me one bit either way to be honest.

I edited my post, but it also appears to leading shortwave is stronger which pushes the heights down ahead of the next shortwave. Its subtle, but it delays the phase of energy of the next shortwaves till the system is further offshore. 

I edited my post, but it also appears to leading shortwave is stronger which pushes the heights down ahead of the next shortwave. Its subtle, but it delays the phase of energy of the next shortwaves till the system is further offshore.

We've seen this before this year where a lead shortwave drags the baraclonic zone too far east and the "bigger" storm actually goes OTS instead. Guess we'll have to see tonight and 12z tommorow for some definitive answers...

not concerned by 18z GFS...

- ridging actually better out west (vs. 12z)

- issue 1: lead shortwave energy scoots out off NC further east and spoils downstream ridging keeping flow just a touch more progressive

- issue 2: followup shortwave energy does not dig as much as in 12z (compare 18z 3/25 timepoint: 18z has energy north/central NC, 12z has energy into SC)... this followup shortwave energy is less able to capture the lead wave

This may be closer to reality, maybe not. But these subtle nuances make a huge difference and probably can't be sorted out this far out.

Issue 1/2 obvious here:

18z

post-3106-0-34822600-1395526705_thumb.pn

12z (also notice followup shortwave digging into SC)

post-3106-0-66758700-1395526709_thumb.pn

The large scale features (ridging out west, placement of Hudson Bay ULL) are just fine on this 18z run. But these subtle nuances of how the pieces of energy interact probably won't be sorted out this far out. Going forward we watch for signs of a dissociated lead low (dumb-bell or elongated SLPs as seen on some earlier guidance?), but clearly too subtle nuances to say anything definitively.

Archived