northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Do We have one More in Us?

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, that would be absolutely insane(ly awesome). That clustering for a bump NW is definitely good to see.

Well, even box seems to be saying give this another 24 hours before clinging to any notions of confidence in the models. Really cool that a hit from a system with this kind of power is on the table, in late march no less.

I need 14" to crack the top 10 seasons, so here's to hoping.

Ironically, the season that I would displace....1982.

Another cold, late season juggernaut that year.

I actually agree with this, but until we see that manifest itself in the mean, paint me skeptical.

Makes no sense. Anyone who knows statistics understands that the mean is the weakest representation as it is skewed by outliers which in this case is way se.

I mean if you're tossing outliers you'd have to toss the few way left as well lol, but the clustering just to the west of the mean is a good look.

The spread is much greater to the east, though....those two love children of Forky are def. skewing the mean (984 and 1000mb).

Once we can muster up enough money to take a back-alley rusty coat hanger to those, it may nudge nw.

That cluster just to the nw looks as though it may pass near the BM.

The spread is much greater to the east, though....those two love children of Forky are def. skewing the mean (984 and 1000mb).

Once we can muster up enough money to take a back-alley rusty coat hanger to those, it may nudge nw.

That cluster just to the nw looks as though it may pass near the BM.

Yeah definite signal that the Euro and its ens may nudge west later. BM would probably be good for you but I'll be smoking CCB exhaust.

Makes no sense. Anyone who knows statistics understands that the mean is the weakest representation as it is skewed by outliers which in this case is way se.

I do think in this case that the spread NW isn't as big of a factor as many of the models are developing a pseudo-inverted trough at the surface NW of the "low center" prior to it really wrapping up. That is probably giving you some artificial looking spread to the NW. 

I do think in this case that the spread NW isn't as big of a factor as many of the models are developing a pseudo-inverted trough at the surface NW of the "low center" prior to it really wrapping up. That is probably giving you some artificial looking spread to the NW. 

Never, ever, ever like seeing those because that implies interference, and is usually an illustration of the model trying to figure out how exactly it wants to fu** you, and deconstruct potential.

Why qpf mean is often useless

The ensemble mean (EM) forecast is a simple but effective product from the EPS. The averaging serves as a dynamic filter to reduce or remove atmospheric features that vary amongst the members and are therefore likely to be regarded as less predictable at the time. Any non-predictable features that have been removed are not lost but re-enter as probabilities.

The EM is most suited to parameters like temperature and pressure, which usually have a rather symmetric Gaussian distribution. It is less suitable for wind speeds and precipitation because of their skewed distributions. For these parameters, the median might be more useful. It is defined as the value of the 25th ensemble member, if the 50 members are ordered according to rising (ranked) values.

Archived