Newest Member
    amirah5
End of Winter & Early Spring General Obs + Banter

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BC foot ball is huge

Not really...its big if you go to the school and the alumni base is pretty loyal, but you can get a ticket no problem to any BC game here. I have been to two BC football games the last two seasons (both against Virginia Tech) and the stadium was maybe 2/3rds full.

Its too bad too, because BC has pretty good sports. They have won it all in hockey recently...and both football and basketball have had pretty high ranked teams within the past decade, and they never really get much fanfare in the general public here. Even when Matt Ryan was QB at BC and they made it up to #2 in the country for a bit, they still didn't get much shake.

If Uconn ever got a Matt Ryan at QB, I can't imagine the insanity down there. Hell, even when they somehow got into Fiesta Bowl as 800 point underdogs, it was craziness as I recall....though their fans didn't exactly travel well that week. :lol:

Not really...its big if you go to the school and the alumni base is pretty loyal, but you can get a ticket no problem to any BC game here. I have been to two BC football games the last two seasons (both against Virginia Tech) and the stadium was maybe 2/3rds full.

Its too bad too, because BC has pretty good sports. They have won it all in hockey recently...and both football and basketball have had pretty high ranked teams within the past decade, and they never really get much fanfare in the general public here. Even when Matt Ryan was QB at BC and they made it up to #2 in the country for a bit, they still didn't get much shake.

If Uconn ever got a Matt Ryan at QB, I can't imagine the insanity down there. Hell, even when they somehow got into Fiesta Bowl as 800 point underdogs, it was craziness as I recall....though their fans didn't exactly travel well that week. :lol:

CT only has one Div 1 college too and no pros but you can go to any game you want. To me college bball is much more entertaining than pros, football no,baseball definite no. The unbelievable success of a small rural college is really special.

Orlovsky was pretty big at UCONN.  UCONN football has produced some decent players with Donald Brown probably being the best 

Yes. That's what happens when you have no professional sports teams.

It's the same up here with University of Vermont sports, particularly hockey as that is what they've done well in the past. Whether or not folks go to UVM or went there, they all are fans.

I think of it as if your a kid growing up somewhere with out a pro team, you go to the college games and then generally become a life-long fan whether it not you go to that school.

It's the same up here with University of Vermont sports, particularly hockey as that is what they've done well in the past. Whether or not folks go to UVM or went there, they all are fans.

I think of it as if your a kid growing up somewhere with out a pro team, you go to the college games and then generally become a life-long fan whether it not you go to that school.

Yup...I'm a major Notre Dame fan, although I follow football much more closely than basketball...by follow I mean I watch pretty much all their football games...don't watch much basketball but I get all the alerts on my phone.  My grandfather is a huge Notre Dame fan so growing up I would watch games with him and I just became a fan

CT only has one Div 1 college too and no pros but you can go to any game you want. To me college bball is much more entertaining than pros, football no,baseball definite no. The unbelievable success of a small rural college is really special.

Agreed on the college hoops...I love the March madness stuff but will never watch a NBA game. Baseball and hockey though are my two favs...baseball is by far better at the pro level, though college hockey is awesome and similar IMO to the pros as far as excitement.

Is UCONN considered a small rural college?! Don't like 35,000 students go there?

Agreed on the college hoops...I love the March madness stuff but will never watch a NBA game. Baseball and hockey though are my two favs...baseball is by far better at the pro level, though college hockey is awesome and similar IMO to the pros as far as excitement.

Is UCONN considered a small rural college?!

Hockey, particularly in person, is great.  I love college hockey (went to Clarkson with D1 hockey and D3 everything else) but the speed difference from college to pro is a ton.  Both great to watch though.

Is UCONN considered a small rural college?! Don't like 35,000 students go there?

17,528 Undergraduates at main campus,143 rd ranked enrollment in the USA,rural location

So for my next speech in my Public Speaking class (it's a 5 min speech) you have to teach the class something...I obviously want to do something with weather but not sure exactly what.  I was thinking of doing something about how thunderstorms form...this isn't something that can be too technical so I'm not going to be going into met terms and such.  I figured since we are getting into the warm season that would be cool.  

Anyways just wondering if anyone had any ideas or such.  Would like to have something in place by tomorrow night b/c I told my professor I would send him a rough copy of my idea, including my introduction.  

Was even thinking of doing something on how forecasts are generated and such...just have to keep in mind the speech can't be any longer than 5:05 

17,528 Undergraduates at main campus,143 rd ranked enrollment in the USA,rural location

I guess "rural" is a relative term...ever been to Lyndon State College, or most upstate NY schools like Colgate, Hamilton, or the St Lawrence Valley spots like Clarkson and Potsdam. And 143rd out of 2,360 4-year colleges in the US means there are over 2,000 smaller schools. I'd consider UCONN a large university for terms of sports recruiting and available money for sports programs but it's a petty argument that really doesn't matter.

I guess "rural" is a relative term...ever been to Lyndon State College, or most upstate NY schools like Colgate, Hamilton, or the St Lawrence Valley spots like Clarkson and Potsdam. And 143rd out of 2,360 4-year colleges in the US means there are over 2,000 smaller schools. I'd consider UCONN a large university for terms of sports recruiting and available money for sports programs but it's a petty argument that really doesn't matter.

division 1 dude talking sports,343 schools

BC football fans; old men over 60 with white hair. College basketball is nothing in boston. College hockey dominates that space.

What a boring time of year wx wise.

One of the reasons I pushed for April when Megan and I were planning our Hawaii trip. :lol:

If the Euro is right, I picked a great weekend to be gone next week...lol. Days and day of onshore flow and 45F drizzle.

One of the reasons I pushed for April when Megan and I were planning our Hawaii trip. :lol:

If the Euro is right, I picked a great weekend to be gone next week...lol. Days and day of onshore flow and 45F drizzle.

Yeah timed that nicely. You'll have a blast there. Mai Tai's FTW.

Ugggh.  Time for Kev and Scott to debate pros and cons of coastal living.

That's not right. "@NWSCaribou: A peak out our office window this morning. #mewx. pic.twitter.com/1tzHKDgpQt"

Never ending winter.  How deep is that?

Ugggh.  Time for Kev and Scott to debate pros and cons of coastal living.

Never ending winter.  How deep is that?

CAR had a 20" depth yesterday.

Kevin wouldn't escape the murk the Euro shows...all of SNE would be engulfed in it. But its still a ways out.

12z nam has an interesting thing overnight...  Show LI's down to 0, with weird 4-6 hour height implosion that dips to 539-ish DM, before popping back up to above 545dm by noon tomorrow. also has a .3+ QPF in the region, with a discerned upon S/W and v-max.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some crackles around the skies of the overnight. 

CAR had a 20" depth yesterday.

Kevin wouldn't escape the murk the Euro shows...all of SNE would be engulfed in it. But its still a ways out.

21" at the stake this morning, but I think today is the first 3-4" hit of the spring melting. Only reasons we're even close to CAR are because we didn't torch during the Jan cutters, and our Feb-Mar snow had about 40% more LE though 10" lower total snowfall.

Archived