• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12-13 Winter Storm Observations Thread

powderfreak

now more standard dendrites here- a bit small, but still dendrites.  Still not a bonafide fluff stuff here but lighter for sure.  temps down a bit @ 18F with wind moving stuff around- probably gusts to 20+.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's modeled fairly well. There will be some QPF left over. I don't see anything wrong currently with radar and model match ups.

At least for SNE near the BOS area. I only expect maybe an inch..perhaps a little more if lucky especially north. Could be a lot of FZDZ or very light FZRA as the column aloft dries out and we lose nucleation for a little while.

what a crap airmass we had to start over the region....this could have been a decent storm for BOS North with a decent airmass....wether it was sleet or zr for areas i don't know but the LP track was not bad for most or area.

looks like Killington....to Cannon....maybe waterville attitash wildcat and the maine mtns cashed

An elongated low over SE MA is not so good

The past half hour it has been absolutely dumping...flake size just went through the roof, much more efficient accumulating stuff.

A few scenes from outside.  Almost an inch in 30 minutes, so near 2"/hr rates.

yeah it's cranking out.  definitely puking.  It's been going 1-2"/hr since 5pm here.  It'll be deeeep tomorrow.  

Nice PF, pretty typical synoptic front end, although Pickles would say awful. Time to rack up champagne

Yeah it was like a switch was flipped.  Its actually snowing harder than it was when we were getting 0.1-0.15" melted per hour, except now I bet hourly precip rates are down near 0.05"/hr. 

Funny, almost an immediate change in consistency, like mid-level cold just surged in deepening the snow growth zone ten-fold.

The past half hour it has been absolutely dumping...flake size just went through the roof, much more efficient accumulating stuff.

A few scenes from outside.  Almost an inch in 30 minutes, so near 2"/hr rates.

attachicon.gifunnamed3.jpg

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

attachicon.gifunnamed2.jpg

Nice shots, Scott.

Tickling down EVER so slowly, winds have picked up substantially.

32.5/32

Yeah it was like a switch was flipped. Its actually snowing harder than it was when we were getting 0.1-0.15" melted per hour, except now I bet hourly precip rates are down near 0.05"/hr.

Funny, almost an immediate change in consistency, like mid-level cold just surged in deepening the snow growth zone ten-fold.

not unexpected at all, peeps, not you,actually complained about snow growth with 10 OTG. Better staying power then fluff on top,perfect snow storm and very typical for March.

AQW down to 23

Williamstown down to 24.

Like Ryan said, really struggling to get to the east side of the hills.

Well at least it is spilling through/over the Taconics into the Hoosic River Valley. Also made it over the Taconics into Great Barrington now. Will take some time to get over the Berkshires now. 

Down to 21.3 degrees but precip has shut off for the time being. Some echoes are redeveloping overhead though so we should see some on and off light snow if it picks back up. As of right now though, almost no snow accumulation, the vast majority was sleet and freezing rain. 

VAD profile shows that the CAA is only in the lowest 2k feet so this is still pretty shallow. Only very slowly getting deeper.

post-1749-0-49074500-1394673332_thumb.gi

1184' here off Bradford Rd in Newport….

Yeah...this was not an elevation event for the snow versus no snow. The further NW you are the more likely you were to escape the midlevel warmth. I think Gene had 4-5" at Newfound though and the Springfield RWIS had some pretty heavy snow for a couple hours this morning.

Well at least it is spilling through/over the Taconics into the Hoosic River Valley. Also made it over the Taconics into Great Barrington now. Will take some time to get over the Berkshires now. 

It is dropping here now though.  So maybe there's hope before things shut off.

32.3/31, just gusted to 21 at my crappy siting.

Archived