amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2-3 Storm Disco, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you live? Apartment? Townhouse? Rent? Own?

Yeah, there was a time when I thought ice was cool too.

I'm 14. I suffer nothing from ice so bring it I guess. (I did fall on my ass running outside on feb 5th, so there's something) It's not like I can control the weather so I might as well enjoy it. 

I'm 14. I suffer nothing from ice so bring it I guess. (I did fall on my ass running outside on feb 5th, so there's something) It's not like I can control the weather so I might as well enjoy it.

LOL. Ok, in 20 years try to remember this and gauge how your views will have changed.

Not to beat a dead horse, but snow easily accumulated on my road during the day during the October snow a few years ago... temps were around 31f with moderate snow. The ground was nowhere close to frozen. If the temps are below freezing with moderate snow it's going to accumulate quite nicely on March 3rd.

lol you're still a kid and likely not old enough to remember any serious ice storm and what it can do. Trust me, losing power for days at a time, especially with bitter cold outside, is no fun at all. I can enjoy a little bit of ice (up to 1/4" at most, anything more is too risky), but once it gets to the point of losing power, no thanks. I'll take 40 degree rain.

2" of ice with wind would be a f***ing catastrophe, likely much more crippling than a 40" snowstorm.

Ok, I hope the "can it stick in March with the death Sun angle" argument is done.

Back to the storm...I'm with Wes...if we get another cycle of good runs, I'm going in...fully vested.   I actually mean it when I say this...I like where we are...we have room for a north trend (which is probably gonna happen).

Ok, I hope the "can it stick in March with the death Sun angle" argument is done.

Back to the storm...I'm with Wes...if we get another cycle of good runs, I'm going in...fully vested.   I actually mean it when I say this...I like where we are...we have room for a north trend (which is probably gonna happen).

Sorry for the OT.  Storm, can you check your PM's?

lol you're still a kid and likely not old enough to remember any serious ice storm and what it can do. Trust me, losing power for days at a time, especially with bitter cold outside, is no fun at all. I can enjoy a little bit of ice (up to 1/4" at most, anything more is too risky), but once it gets to the point of losing power, no thanks. I'll take 40 degree rain.

2" of ice with wind would be a f***ing catastrophe, likely much more crippling than a 40" snowstorm.

Fozz, let me add to what you said. A 2" ice storm would take YEARS to recover from. The environmental damage would be unimaginable.

As having gone through the 1998 ice storm in NNY (Clayton NY), I can assure you NO ONE in this region really wants 2in of ice.  I love ice as much as the next to get some nice pictures, but being without power for well over a month wears on one after about the first 3 days...this area would fare FAR worse due to the number of trees approximate to homes and power lines..up there, most of the issue was just the weight of the ice on the power lines, NOT trees interacting because at the time Niagra Mohawk was cautious to clear trees from areas that could be impacted by weighted/snapping trees.  Over 10k phone poles from Watertown NY down Route 12 to Clayton NY had to be replaced...that's a SINGLE run of ~12 miles....trust me,you REALLY don't want that much ice in the DC Metro.

I was back here for the storm of 1999 and even THAT was crippling power outage wise.

Here's what 2in of ice does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Ice_Storm_of_1998

Specific from NNY:

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/icestorm.html

I really wanted the 0z GFS from feb 26th to verify. Literally 30 hours of ice accretion with over an inch.

Yeah, maybe I'm a whack-job, but I'd actually prefer ZR pwnage instead of snow at this point. I got my snow fix back on Feb 13th.

That said, climo doesn't offer much precedent to an outcome like that, so wise to be skeptical.

I lost power for 6 days after the derecho in 90 degree heat. That was awful, but the derecho was still fun to track.

Speaking of crippling ice storms, I was in Calvert in 1994 which was the worst hit of the area.  We got very little sleet; it was THREE INCHES of ice glaze with temps in the low 20s throughout.  It was devastating.  There were people that had no electricity and no water for two weeks, and they used the closed public schools as shelters.  I stood outside at night and heard trees crashing down from all directions and saw the sky lighting up with transformers blowing.  It was awful.  The damage to the treeline in the woods there was visible for years after.  I have no use for ice storms.

Back to the topic at hand -- I love that things have trended to actually "jackpotting" the qpf south of us -- it WILL trend north!  I can only imagine the NY forum right now.

I remember a fairly big one in 1999. After ~0.5" the pines started shedding all their branches...electricity was soon to follow.

This was posted on the NYC Forum this evening and I thought it would be appropriate here..........

"Guaranteed to happen between now and the 00z suite

1. Weenie suicides

2. Crazy international models will be used to show this is still coming north (cue the Korean)

3. "Initialization errors" will be found in the 18z gfs so we can discount it

4. The once consistent GFS is now erratic, therefore we toss

5. Some sort of epic argument in THIS thread about how even though its further south, the ratios with the colder atmosphere will make up for lack of QPF

6. A drastic slowing of the board right around the time the 00z NAM is due so everyone can pray for the NAMBomb

And finally last but not least

7. Our daily sun angle battle"

Archived