CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 2-3 Storm Disco, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am struck by the flatter look on the 18Z GFS. It doesn't dig as much.

It's a tricky dance with favorable confluence from the pv. We have to have it or it's warm and rainy. But a byproduct is a less amped system. I'll root for a weaker/colder/snowier system at this point. If I get 4" I'll be thrilled. Anything over that is outstanding. 

Then it would be about .60-.70 snow @ DCA. Lock that up man. 

That's about what my guesstimate was, maybe on the order of ~0.7 verbatim in the DC area that's all snow and getting quite cold as Monday goes on.  There's definitely something like sleet/mix between 03Z (or shortly after) through about 09Z or so.

It's a tricky dance with favorable confluence from the pv. We have to have it or it's warm and rainy. But a byproduct is a less amped system. I'll root for a weaker/colder/snowier system at this point. If I get 4" I'll be thrilled. Anything over that is outstanding. 

I'm with you 100% on this, Bob. 4" in the beginning of March would be sweet. Too strong and she comes too far north. I like where we sit right now.

That's about what my guesstimate was, maybe on the order of ~0.7 verbatim in the DC area that's all snow and getting quite cold as Monday goes on.  There's definitely something like sleet/mix between 03Z (or shortly after) through about 09Z or so.

I'm not going to pick apart this run too much. 0z is pretty important irt the south trend. I can't imagine that it gets pushed so far south that it becomes a non event. If anything, the envelope has us mostly in the crosshairs. That's a bit of a surprise considering last night.

This is a 6hr euro ens precip panel from 12z-18z monday. It's a very bullish panel and shows tight clustering. But look at the jackpot. Not really that far off of the 18z gfs. Interesting. But I will say the euro ens have moved around every bit as much as the op. Today was the first time they had a noticeable difference. I think the south trend isn't a blip now. But I also think a shift north is equally as possible as another shift south. Fun storm and very difficult to analyze. 

post-2035-0-49192100-1393626296_thumb.jp

Maybe I'm drink off the earlier part of the GFS run, but I'm looking the surface precip type map.  It shows snow from hr 129-153 so far..

Don't see that, but then again I'm stuck on the NCEP maps at 135.  Through that time there's definitely something offshore, but no precip up into VA/DC/MD and it looks like that "something" offshore goes out to sea.  I'm not sure how reliable those precip type maps are in terms of actual precip occurring; I want to say I've seen them show a precip type even when there's none indicated.

I'm not going to pick apart this run too much. 0z is pretty important irt the south trend. I can't imagine that it gets pushed so far south that it becomes a non event. If anything, the envelope has us mostly in the crosshairs. That's a bit of a surprise considering last night.

This is a 6hr euro ens precip panel from 12z-18z monday. It's a very bullish panel and shows tight clustering. But look at the jackpot. Not really that far off of the 18z gfs. Interesting. But I will say the euro ens have moved around every bit as much as the op. Today was the first time they had a noticeable difference. I think the south trend isn't a blip now. But I also think a shift north is equally as possible as another shift south. Fun storm and very difficult to analyze. 

attachicon.gifepsqpf78.JPG

Oh, I agree with you here.  Wasn't tryint to parse out the GFS details too much, just that I saw more or less the same thing you were saying on what it's showing verbatim as all snow at this point.

Interesting panel from the Euro ensembles.  I'm not sure how much a "too far" south shift is to worry about right now, but we'll have to see.  Or for that matter, if the GFS goes slightly farther north.  I like that we seem to have some room to play with here, though.  As you say, it's fun to analyze even if trying on the nerves!

Don't see that, but then again I'm stuck on the NCEP maps at 135.  Through that time there's definitely something offshore, but no precip up into VA/DC/MD and it looks like that "something" offshore goes out to sea.  I'm not sure how reliable those precip type maps are in terms of actual precip occurring; I want to say I've seen them show a precip type even when there's none indicated.

Please take a look at insta weather and tell me this Ithaca Flower Power IPA has not impaired my vision. ;-)

Oh, I agree with you here.  Wasn't tryint to parse out the GFS details too much, just that I saw more or less the same thing you were saying on what it's showing verbatim as all snow at this point.

Interesting panel from the Euro ensembles.  I'm not sure how much a "too far" south shift is to worry about right now, but we'll have to see.  Or for that matter, if the GFS goes slightly farther north.  I like that we seem to have some room to play with here, though.  As you say, it's fun to analyze even if trying on the nerves!

I guess we're supposed to feel good right now. The shifting has been around us and not away from us. And having the max now just to the south should be a great thing. But I'm nervous. We're all nervous. lol

I'm waiting for the big juicy run in the next 24 hours that gives us all 12"+. SQL x 1000

Archived