• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 2-3 Storm Disco, Part II

stormtracker

I am completelyt baffled by the SREF.     It has consistently been way warm in the mid-Atlantic.

By 12z Monday, pretty much all of the deterministic guidance has the 2-m  freezing line south, and

in some cases well south, of DC.    The 15z SREF has the line up in central PA, and its probability of the 2-m temperature being below freezing in DC is under 20%.   I can't recall ever seeing it behave like this.

Cause for concern?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like the trends today. I just have think QPF will increase a bit. I mean, have you seen that sw out ithe PAC ? And the gulf is open. Think like all events this year we trend somewhat wetter. Just my take. Any thoughts ?

It's a pretty wet system as is considering the speed that it's in an out of here. We would need to score both pieces (not likely) or have the second slug slow down as it moves through. I think 1" of liquid is pretty significant and upside is limited unless the evolution changes. 

Euro ensembles looking pretty tight and definitely south of the op. We're about .6-.7 on the means. Looks like a big cva bulleye between 7am-1pm Monday but plenty good for us too. Honestly, i like the breathing room. I'm finding myself accepting the fact that it will snow so I want to be on the cold midlevel side as much as possible. Euro ens show just that. Solid run with precip/850's/slp track. 

The 12z NAMX parallel (headed for operations in a few months) looks much more in line with the 12z GFS and Euro.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/nampll_namx/

It handles the upper features over southeast Canada differently than the ops NAM, and this leads to a colder, slower, snowier solution.    This isn't too surprising, given that the para is using the background error covariances from the GFS analysis.    Not that y'all needed any more reason to toss the 12z operational NAM, but this is another vote in the camp of a snowier Monday morning here.

Archived