amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2-3 Storm Disco, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I notice about the Euro on Sunday night: The 850mb temp tracks right along with the surface temps, maybe even a tad bit south of the surface temps. If this holds, no sleet. Once the surface drops sub-freezing, we get all snow.

That's a big shift from yesterday, where the 850mb temps were running about 50-100 miles north of the surface temps.

Local forecasters always go conservative. Is it true they rely on the RPM too much?

He doesn't use the RPM. I don't think he even looks at the Euro. He never mentions it and is too busy acting like the GGEM is the best model ever and its never wrong.

I do know that Tom T and John C love that RPM and its low snow totals.

I think JB missed the Euro, but he does stress it's just his first call and the numbers he posted are the absolute lowest he expects to fall. Literally every meteorologist does this with our big storms, including TWC, Accuweather, etc. They all start on the low end and as the event gets closer, slowly start to increase numbers. Often the numbers continue to increase as the storm hits our region. The big February storm certainly saw that. Numbers started low and increased gradually until we had a lot of 8-14 and 12-18 predictions.

Temp snapshot panels on the euro are wild.

Low to mid 30's at 7pm Sun

Right around freezing or slightly below at 1 am for the cities imediate nw burbs and colder further nw

Low to mid 20's at 7am but teens northern tier.

Mid teens by 1pm.

So a 10 degree drop during the meat. Awesome

Right around freezing or slightly below at 1 am for the cities imediate nw burbs and colder further nw

Mid teens by 1pm.

Don't tell needsbiggergoat.

Mid teens by 1pm.

Look at Tuesday morning on the ECMWF. 32F line reaches all the way to the gulf coast across a wide area. Parts of WV are showing -20F.

This is bitterly cold.

Look at Tuesday morning on the ECMWF. 32F line reaches all the way to the gulf coast across a wide area. Parts of WV are showing -20F.

This is bitterly cold.

ECMWF has a well documented cold bias in the lowest levels in the mid-latitudes. Has been an issue since Nov.

not upper teens, but low 20s and ripping on March 2nd 2009 and mid 20s on 3/9/99....I got 7.5" from the 1st and 9.5" from the 2nd.....

3/9/99 was a nice storm, and it was definitely cold...felt more like an early Feb. storm.

Archived