Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather bug lightning detection shows all of it down in NC. Not that there was ever much chance of that around here today. Beginning to clear, wasn't much rain, we had stronger winds earlier this afternoon.

Still, a temperature drop of some 30-40 degrees in 12 hours or so doesn't happen that often around here.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys don't mind I plan on using this thread to help get better knowledge of storms in general.

Nice little bowling ball on the gfs on the 29th. 1000kj of cape looks to be close or overhead. Strong/moist sw flow in front of the slp and cold front. This would indicate possible cells followed by a line right? Just trying to get my bearings.

ETA: dews near 60 also. Does the lifted index mean much? Looks like that is favorable too but I'm a nOOb

Haven't really looked that closely though the setup seems a little tricky at first glance. Usually want the 500 vort further northwest to get more into the warm sector etc. As is it may work though the GFS appears to blow stuff thru pretty early.  Will have to look more later. 

Haven't really looked that closely though the setup seems a little tricky at first glance. Usually want the 500 vort further northwest to get more into the warm sector etc. As is it may work though the GFS appears to blow stuff thru pretty early. Will have to look more later.

Thanks, just looking at pattern recognition. You know me. My favorite period to analyze is 5-15 days. It's a fun puzzle digesting med-long lead trends and making a logical decision on what might happen.

Thanks, just looking at pattern recognition. You know me. My favorite period to analyze is 5-15 days. It's a fun puzzle digesting med-long lead trends and making a logical decision on what might happen.

It's worth eying I suppose. On the GFS it's just a small window and polluted by morning activity. And the prior runs don't even really have it at all.. so maybe it's convective feedback in part at least.  GFS op has several things to watch beyond as well though it may be in lala land.  

A general local storm viewing question......are there any favored locales for viewing storms in the greater DC metro area? Im in a heavily wooded, elevation free area, so storm viewing isn't the greatest. Would love a spot I could use for pics on days when I have some free time or after work.

It's worth eying I suppose. On the GFS it's just a small window and polluted by morning activity. And the prior runs don't even really have it at all.. so maybe it's convective feedback in part at least.  GFS op has several things to watch beyond as well though it may be in lala land.  

Thanks Ian. I was just looking verbatim at the run and thinking it had a setup for tstorms in general. I'm not going to pester you guys every 6 hours or anything. Just getting used to signs of potential. 

Thanks Ian. I was just looking verbatim at the run and thinking it had a setup for tstorms in general. I'm not going to pester you guys every 6 hours or anything. Just getting used to signs of potential. 

Divergence aloft looks quite strong and the resulting clouds are going to hamper daytime heating. Verbatim this is more of a embedded thundershower threat than a true severe storm setup.

Divergence aloft looks quite strong and the resulting clouds are going to hamper daytime heating. Verbatim this is more of a embedded thundershower threat than a true severe storm setup.

Thanks wxm. I'm starting off practicing wirh Tstorm pattern recognition in general so at least I picked up on some clues. If I only start tracking severe in these parts i'll forget everything I learn in between events. ;)

A general local storm viewing question......are there any favored locales for viewing storms in the greater DC metro area? Im in a heavily wooded, elevation free area, so storm viewing isn't the greatest. Would love a spot I could use for pics on days when I have some free time or after work.

I second this question...  I used to have an apartment with a rooftop looking up the Potomac towards Georgetown, which was great to see storms approaching...  But no good viewing point these days.

Sometimes on my day off and storms are likely. I head over to the eastern shore. Crab alley bay marine is prime. Looks west across the eastern bay. Beautiful spot. I know it's not local. But it's worth the 30min drive.

That's not bad. I was also thinking of Terrapin Park in Stevensville. 

Sometimes on my day off and storms are likely. I head over to the eastern shore. Crab alley bay marine is prime. Looks west across the eastern bay. Beautiful spot. I know it's not local. But it's worth the 30min drive.

That's not bad. I was also thinking of Terrapin Park in Stevensville.

Never been to that spot. I like crab alley because you can sit right in your car. I was there about 3 years ago during a severe warned storm/squall line. The lightning was amazing. You could see it hitting the open water. My car was rocking when the storm reached me. My buddy has a pier there also. I drop handlines and catch a few crabs while I'm waiting for storms to pop. Your welcome to come along if Sunday/ Monday's work for you.

I second this question...  I used to have an apartment with a rooftop looking up the Potomac towards Georgetown, which was great to see storms approaching...  But no good viewing point these days.

I've found that the tops of garages, especially Metro garages are great places for watching and photographing storms.

The Mall and riverbank/tidal basin area is good.. problem is generally finding cover. Lincoln is kind of my go to for the Mall.  I'm tempted to start rigging up in a way I can just get blasted by rain and hope not to get killed in the open so I can photo near the Capitol etc. Iwo Jima is good too.. but same cover issue if you don't have a car. Ft Reno.. not much cover.  I dunno anything outside DC really.. the valley east of the blue ridge in N MD is pretty nice.

Archived