joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At what point do you worry about watch/warning fatigue for the general public though? I'm not trying to bash the SPC/LWX in regards to watch/warning issuance, but a watch for this evening seems a bit much, and the same goes ffor many of our watches in recent years.

Good question.. we prob should already. Last year wasn't even that active but you can see our area had a max in the region of both svr (sans PA which had a few "derechos") and tor watches:

post-1615-0-19312200-1394658806_thumb.pn

post-1615-0-74932000-1394658802_thumb.pn

I can only assume several things including the high population density leading to more watches than would otherwise be issued, plus it must help with verification scores? To me if you expect just a handful of warnings or a two hour window of potential it might be best to go unwatched. Though perhaps I'm thinking about it wrong. But, even with a few warnings in most cases you're going to get very isolated true severe conditions.  

I think it's probably LWX pushing SPC to include our region in cases like this. Looking at current conditions it seems more warranted to the south but probably could have been left out of this area. 

I don't think it is even a question.  Would be an interesting stat to see, though.

Could probably cook up something through IEM data.. not quite sure how to go about it though.  

Archived