Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2/18/14 snow event

weathafella

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed... was actually just going to post that. A buddy of mine from PSU is a professor out there and he's been geeking out on Twitter about the +TSSN. 

Pretty decent signal with a MAUL. Not a lock but the radar/obs out west make me think that we're looking good for tomorrow. 

Agree, looks real close for a good chunk of the area. Should pound for a few hours regardless.

Both models look great for moisture advection up the valley, particularly during the transfer.  Deerfield to Brattleboro especially might benefit from WAA snows initially, later wrap around in the comma head. But as the latter is more likely to downslope or miss parts of the valley further south, seeing the former is a big deal. 

Studied the BUFKIT data for Orange over to Worcester ... Boston and Beverly.  Looks like the best omega drilling into the sn growth region of the sounding is between ORH/BOS using the NAM (I didn't check the GFS input).  

Somewhere in that zone gets over 25 @ > 90% RH into the middle of the sn growth band for about a 1.5 to 2 hour span.  Could be some very good snow fall rates if these data inputs off the NAM are correct ...always a risk there.  But all four sites do well for a short duration period of moderate to potentially heavy snow.  

The blend using all available guidance provides for a high confidence ... it doesn't look like the region will be spared.  There are some uncertainties as to how significant, however.  These compact sort of "meso-beta" scaled systems are fickle little beasts. Anywhere that ends up with a thunderstorm could get a 5" hour book ended by a couple of 1.5ers, where two towns over gets half that total. Or, in the case Dec 2005, the whole thing gets well organized and you get a micro-version of synoptic scaled bomb, replete with comma head and all.    

This thing without a doubt is going to do screwy things...it just will. I almost see two max zones...one near the deformation area which may be western CT and up through the Berks and into nrn MA/SE NH....maybe another near the low and just inland with max low level convergence.

Def could see western CT up into the Berks getting smoked and interior NE MA into SE NH should be another sweet spot...and in fact, that area should come out with the highest totals I would think...especially if those llvl circulations close off early enough.  The GFS really increases sfc frontogenesis across interior NE MA during the afternoon/early evening.  

Archived