gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
2/18/14 snow event

weathafella

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously...who had an inch. Looked great on radar here for a couple hours...and we managed only a meager 1/8"

If NAM is right...interior CT is looking nice tomorrow. Looks like 0.8" QPF along the shoreline...but how much falls before we warm?

NAM verbatim (lol) is pretty much an isothermal snow bomb for you. Maybe a bit iffy toward GON but that would produce for sure. 

Yeah you can see that we may struggle with snow growth for quite some time south of the Pike... but could put down a pretty impressive 1-2 hour window of snow when omega is deeper through the column.

The GFS actually has the DGZ totally dried out for a window (NAM doesn't) so that could mess with thing.

One thing I like for my viewing area is that boundary layer issues for the coast seem to have been wiped away on overnight runs. Some of those runs yesterday were a torch. Even GON may put down a couple inches. Probably a paste bomb for the valley/shore with us being isothermal around -1C for a good 100mb.

GFS is still toasty. I didn't get a chance to look at the non American guidance...but I take it that it's colder than the GFS? NAM usually does well with temp profiles in these borderline events...and it certainly looks promising for staying mostly frozen

Yeah you can see that we may struggle with snow growth for quite some time south of the Pike... but could put down a pretty impressive 1-2 hour window of snow when omega is deeper through the column. 

The GFS actually has the DGZ totally dried out for a window (NAM doesn't) so that could mess with thing.

One thing I like for my viewing area is that boundary layer issues for the coast seem to have been wiped away on overnight runs. Some of those runs yesterday were a torch. Even GON may put down a couple inches. Probably a paste bomb for the valley/shore with us being isothermal around -1C for a good 100mb. 

Yup...you were correct...I certainly overplayed that warmth.  Have to do a complete 180 from what I did yesterday.  

GFS is still toasty. I didn't get a chance to look at the non American guidance...but I take it that it's colder than the GFS? NAM usually does well with temp profiles in these borderline events...and it certainly looks promising for staying mostly frozen

Yeah just pulled up the GFS bufkit soundings... it is pretty warm. I didn't expect it to be that warm based off the maps I was looking at. 

Drag special LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/

***TUESDAY NEEDS TO BE MONITORED FOR ANOTHER POTENTIALLY SUBSTANTIAL

SNOW EVENT I78 REGION NORTHWARD***

500MB: ENERGETIC FLOW WITH MULTIPLE RELATIVELY STRONG SHORT WAVES

PASSING THROUGH OUR AREA AS THE MEAN TROUGH IN THE EAST EVOLVES

WESTWARD TO A POSITIVE TILT TROUGH BY NEXT WEEKEND...AXISED FROM

HUDSON BAY TO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS. THIS PATTERN CONTINUES THE TREND

FOR A BRIEF SIGNIFICANT WARMUP FOR MAYBE A FEW DAYS HERE LATE THIS

WEEK.

TEMPERATURES: SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT WILL BE QUITE COLD

WITH CALENDAR DAY AVERAGE TEMPERATURES NEARLY 15 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL

MONDAY BEFORE EASING TO ABOUT 3 TO 5 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL TUESDAY...

THEN ABOUT 3 TO 10 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL DAILY WEDNESDAY THROUGH NEXT

SATURDAY.

THE FORECAST BASIS...SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT-USED MOSTLY THE

COLDER GFS TEMP GUIDANCE WHICH WAS A CLOSER MATCH TO THE 12Z/15 ECMWF

MOS AND 2M TEMPS. TUESDAY USED MAINLY THE 12Z/15 ECMWF/GGEM COMBO

WITH NAM/GFS SUPPORT BUT ONLY ECMWF PARTIAL THICKNESSES! NO BIG WARMUP

FORESEEN TUESDAY...IN FACT THIS COULD BE A DAY WITH 0.5 TO 0.9 WATER

EQUIVALENT SNOW!

bump in Pickles rump

Hey did you see parts of western southern CT had an inch of snow last nite?

Tomorrow looks like a day that is going to produce for most of New Eng

You must mean this one report of around an inch in Fairfield County?

post-44-0-92324300-1392648687_thumb.png

Sometimes it's okay to step away and realize it doesn't snow every day or that a dusting is just a dusting.

Yeah just pulled up the GFS bufkit soundings... it is pretty warm. I didn't expect it to be that warm based off the maps I was looking at. 

They are still warm (at least for BDL) but it still looks like it would have a pretty decent thump...not bad looking omega getting into the best snow growth zone late morning through early afternoon.  

We did have an inch. I was so caught off guard on my way to dinner that i ran off the road into a snow bank. #hitskeepcoming

People in the restaurant talking about worst winter they cAn remember and that they feel like its been snowing every day since thanksgiving.

Another little one will send the public over the edge..

To piggy back on what you were saying yesterday, I took some GFS images of the theta-e plume.

attachicon.gif18z.jpg

attachicon.gif00z.jpg

attachicon.gif06z.jpg

You want to be on the nose of that plume, and I highlighted the axis and the area I would expect the best snows to develop based on the GFS prog.

that's a thing of beauty !!!!  :thumbsup:

+TSSNPL at CMI (Champaign, IL) and that PL could just be heavily rimed flakes. Good sign all around.

Indeed... was actually just going to post that. A buddy of mine from PSU is a professor out there and he's been geeking out on Twitter about the +TSSN. 

Pretty decent signal with a MAUL. Not a lock but the radar/obs out west make me think that we're looking good for tomorrow. 

Archived