joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
V Day II obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too familiar with how they do the NESIS ratings but I'm thinking this one will be pretty hightly rated. It was on the moderate end of the spectrum in SNE but definitely very severe in the deep south, mid atlantic and close to NYC.

Probably deserves an entry in the KU book too.

My parents who live a few miles north of Baltimore ended up with around 22" or possibly slightly more since they aren't the best at measuring. But they sent me a pic of 18" OTG after round 1 followed by another 4-5" with round 2. I imagine some of that 18" was settled down given how heavy and wet the snow was.

My mother-in-law in north NJ just outside of NYC ended up with around 18" from round 1 plus round 2 with a prolonged period of sleet/zr in between.

Obviously things were less impressive IMBY with totals only 3-5" in the immediate Boston area but pretty solid totals around ORH and north from there into Maine.

It's not often we have a major storm have significant impacts all the way from Georgia up to Maine.

I'm curious what the other historians on here think.

I'm not too familiar with how they do the NESIS ratings but I'm thinking this one will be pretty hightly rated. It was on the moderate end of the spectrum in SNE but definitely very severe in the deep south, mid atlantic and close to NYC.

Probably deserves an entry in the KU book too.

My parents who live a few miles north of Baltimore ended up with around 22" or possibly slightly more since they aren't the best at measuring. But they sent me a pic of 18" OTG after round 1 followed by another 4-5" with round 2. I imagine some of that 18" was settled down given how heavy and wet the snow was.

My mother-in-law in north NJ just outside of NYC ended up with around 18" from round 1 plus round 2 with a prolonged period of sleet/zr in between.

Obviously things were less impressive IMBY with totals only 3-5" in the immediate Boston area but pretty solid totals around ORH and north from there into Maine.

It's not often we have a major storm have significant impacts all the way from Georgia up to Maine.

I'm curious what the other historians on here think.

KU, we need a East coast final total map once its done with ice included

It will end up as a cat 3 on NESIS...prehaps a bit higher in the actual KU rankings since the methods are slightly different. I suppose it could sneak into low end cat 4...its easy to forget how many of our northeast storms don't give much snow to the mid-atlantic (esp south of DC) and the southeast and then back all the way up into upsate NY.

The widespread coverage of good snows will really boost the ranking even though the big 20"+ amounts were confined to isolated pockets for the most part.

I have been up there on occasions and watch guys i ride with step off the trail and dissapear in the snow pack, And i am talking guys that are 6'3", 7-8' pack not uncommon

Such depths occur, but IMO they are actually a bit uncommon.  The deepest snow I ever measured was 80", on Big Twenty Twp (northernmost township in Maine) in March 1984.  That same month saw 65" at the snowstake in Ft.Kent, also the tallest I've had and by about a foot.  I have no doubt that both measurements would've been exceeded had I been there in March 2008.  Of course, a 4-5' avg snowpack can drift over depressions and be 7+ in those mini-locations, and when amidst 4-8 ft tall spruce/fir one can disappear quite suddenly.  When I was breaking trail (on snowshoes) for the boundary maintenance crew and had that happen, our "Franglais"-speaking crew member would say, "My chum dig foxhole for German army!"

Well I decided falling short by 2 or 3 inches wasn't worth complaining about. Still made out with 8 in the end for the 2nd 8" event this month. The Depth is somewhere around 13" or so but drifts make that a tough call. The skiing was fantastic and I got to go today!

Now we're rocking up north, HIE and BML have dipped to 1/4SM in the last hour.

Upslope has taken over this way... still snowing decently in town, but really ripping up at the mountain.

This was 3pm on one of my last runs of the day, still dumping.  Although we got sort of semi-screwed last night, today has been making up for it and orographics are trying to take over.  11-13" from 1,500ft to 3,000ft as of that last 3pm run and check on the stakes.

And as of 4:30pm vis still looks quite low on the web cams with good dendrites flying.

At home, the snow has been more snow showery as upslope sometimes is here just away from the immediate spine.  One minute its just flurries, the next its 1/2 mile moderate snow, then back to flurries, etc. 

Picked up 10.5" at home through 4pm, but I can already see on the snow board that there's another few tenths in the last hour of fluffy snow, so we'll see what upslope can add to that total.  Around 20" on the ground.

The lab enjoys wading around in the new snow...I'm definitely going to lose a shoe in the next few days out there too.

Just got done clearing everything I wasn't clearing periodically yesterday and that clean-up had to be one of the toughest I've had.  The areas that I cleared every few hours yesterday had a delightful mix of sleet and ice that had to be scraped off and shoveled every few feet.  The areas that I hadn't shoveled weren't too bad but low lying areas had a nice slushy mix at the bottom making for an icy surprise if I didn't get it up.  I'm waiting for tomorrow's snow to scrape and salt that before I have an ice skating rink on my hands.

This snow is not going to melt quickly!

The snow piles around ORH this morning looked like there had been about 3-4 feet of snow in the past  ten days...but its more like 2 feet with a ton of water content. Lots of sleet (mixed with a bit of ZR) last night really cemented the stuff.

The snowshoes tomorrow will def be more handy than if the snow was fluffy....sinking into this crap would take a ton of effort to walk in.

Just saw that Philly picked up 11.3"... what a winter for PHL, and in general the coastal plain of the northeast.  And there's another one coming, too!  Can't complain up here as there's 20" on the ground now, but man the snowfall departures at the end of this season are going to be insane from like PHL-IJD-BOS compared to the northern tier from say SYR-BTV-AUG.  I still think we come in below normal snowfall (again, not a debbie comment, just objective), while that southern tier will probably double their climo or more.

Just saw that Philly picked up 11.3"... what a winter for PHL, and in general the coastal plain of the northeast.  And there's another one coming, too!  Can't complain up here as there's 20" on the ground now, but man the snowfall departures at the end of this season are going to be insane from like PHL-IJD-BOS compared to the northern tier from say SYR-BTV-AUG.  I still think we come in below normal snowfall (again, not a debbie comment, just objective), while that southern tier will probably double their climo or more.

PHL has regained their horseshoe after getting a bit shafted last winter.

BOS should make up for being the screwspot for the I-95 cities yesterday.

8.5" / 1.50" liquid total including 0.1" glaze, a thunderstorm, and 1.5" on the back side. Great storm! :snowman:

Wow, I'm surprised you only got 1.5" on the backside. Must've been on the wrong side (barely) of the E/W mid-level thermal gradient.

EDIT: Now I realize it was just that the band was a little west of you. :/

Archived