joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy - I'm near 485 and 77 north and been snowing since 10 AM!

Same here to about 8 miles to you SW, but still can't maintain a decent flake size. Intensity is there to stay now it seems though, have a dusting so far. Best band is right along the south side of 85 for now.

Tiny point of clarification. The word "deformation" gets thrown around a lot, and the band this morning was really more WAA induced widespread snowfall. Really when people say the "deformation zone" they refer to the area that is located on the NE side of a 850 or 700 hPa low where air stream "stretches" the flow, causing it to be deformed. Here, its just a broad area of WAA aloft (veering winds) that induces isentropic lift that is going over an area of frontogenesis. 

This is why I've loved this forum since 2010. Thank you very much for the clarification and education on what exactly led to our quick burst of heavy snow this AM. It's my bad for the pure sloppiness of posting quickly without first thinking about the correct usage of the term. 

yep, its back on now :)

Cool.  That was quick!

I'm keeping the Georgia Power map up in a tab because I'm keeping any eye on my mom's house down in Cobb.  Really, things are not going too badly for them, so far.  This certainly could have been a lot worse on the trees to this point if we hadn't hit this giant hole of little to no serious precip.  Hopefully the break will help them get caught up.

This is why I've loved this forum since 2010. Thank you very much for the clarification and education on what exactly led to our quick burst of heavy snow this AM. It's my bad for the pure sloppiness of posting quickly without first thinking about the correct usage of the term. 

Not a problem at all... all these terms can get confusing. In some cases, you can actually get a deformation band that forms along the warm front where WAA and CAA are battling each other, helping to tighten the temperature gradient and form the front (frontogenesis). This case though the frontogenesis is "tilted" since the CAD wedge and associated CAA is strongest around 925 hPa and the WAA associated with the warm front is riding over between 850-700 hPa. So the "deformation" doesn't occur at one specific level you can point to on the map, and it typically results in a pretty widespread area of snowfall as a result. 

The radar is beginning to shape up in some of the dry slot areas over toward eastern Alabama.  It looks like banding features may be our best bet to reaching some of the big totals that were forecast but I seriously doubt it.  We have about 1.5 inches of sleet/snow (mostly sleet) on the ground.  I think it's way too early to declare a bust, but I think unless something changes drastically between now and this evening, the whole catastrophic/biblical wording that was put out earlier was way too much.  From some of the radar watching overnight into this morning, it looked to me like the whole initial thump just plain out moved too fast through the area.  On a positive note, 1.5 inches of concrete made for some incredible sledding down our street this morning.  It was like Sochi out there (only with more ice and more running water!  :lmao: )

I'm hoping so.  Very light snow in west charlotte near the airport.  Radar to the SW looks very underwhelming.  Everything is directly south and moving east. 

What radar are you looking at?  Looks like it's headed straight for us, and more building behind it as it comes into view.

Archived