joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh! I'm 3 miles north of KGRD (Greenwood, SC) and that deformation band this morning was pure awesomeness. I haven't seen it snow like that since I lived in Iowa. We picked up a quick 5.5" before the darn warm nose decided to ruin our snow party and switch us over to all sleet. Whoever is luckily enough to be under the deformation band and stays all snow during the full or majority duration will feel like it's the first day of Christmas all over again. For my location though it looks like I'm on the boarder of a lot of sleet and I'f we're lucky enough (fingers crossed) we'll avoid the damaging freezing rain... 

Ugh! I'm 3 miles north of KGRD (Greenwood, SC) and that deformation band this morning was pure awesomeness. I haven't seen it snow like that since I lived in Iowa. We picked up a quick 5.5" before the darn warm nose decided to ruin our snow party and switch us over to all sleet. Whoever is luckily enough to be under the deformation band and stays all snow during the full or majority duration will feel like it's the first day of Christmas all over again. For my location though it looks like I'm on the boarder of a lot of sleet and I'f we're lucky enough (fingers crossed) we'll avoid the damaging freezing rain... 

Tiny point of clarification. The word "deformation" gets thrown around a lot, and the band this morning was really more WAA induced widespread snowfall. Really when people say the "deformation zone" they refer to the area that is located on the NE side of a 850 or 700 hPa low where air stream "stretches" the flow, causing it to be deformed. Here, its just a broad area of WAA aloft (veering winds) that induces isentropic lift that is going over an area of frontogenesis. 

Tiny point of clarification. The word "deformation" gets thrown around a lot, and the band this morning was really more WAA induced widespread snowfall. Really when people say the "deformation zone" they refer to the area that is located on the NE side of a 850 or 700 hPa low where air stream "stretches" the flow, causing it to be deformed. Here, its just a broad area of WAA aloft (veering winds) that induces isentropic lift that is going over an area of frontogenesis. 

You're shouting into a wind tunnel, my friend.  "Deformation band" is this month's "polar vortex".  ;)

i don't know but add me to the list of customers without power. Transformers blew out on ladson rd and fire trucks immediately responded. Be back on as i can be to conserve cell phone

West Ashley (where I live) and downtown (where I am at work now) are basically outage free.  I'm at 34 degrees on King Street.

post-294-0-57591600-1392223227_thumb.png

Archived