joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is hour 30 precip, look at the deform band pounding you, RDU probably flips to rain right about now, but we look to dry slot some...

I'm all-in with the UKMET.  People talk about the Euro's consistency, but the UKMET has been every bit as consistent over the last few days, too.

EDIT: At first glance, the GGEM looks amazing, too.  Very similar to the UKMET in SLP placement and strength at hr 36.

Quick question guys. If you had the chance to stay in either Fayetteville or Greensboro for this storm which one would it be? The only problem would be I would have to maybe come back to Fayetteville early Friday morning. Do you think 421 would be passable Thursday night?

Thanks!

Well, tried to take a nap from 7-11pm.  No dice.  With the radar lighting up like a Christmas tree, sleep is futile now.

Maybe I'll catch some sleep when the power goes :snowing:

ditto - lol.  figured with all the model watching and storm tracking for this one, and it looking like a monster winter se storm once i saw echos near atl and south of mby i figured bed was a no-go. maybe a nap in the chair but i doubt it

lets rock :tomato::bike:

Quick question guys. If you had the chance to stay in either Fayetteville or Greensboro for this storm which one would it be? The only problem would be I would have to maybe come back to Fayetteville early Friday morning. Do you think 421 would be passable Thursday night?

Thanks!

easy answer - be where you think the best place would be for the storm and do the best.  i would worry about trying to come back early fri on early fri. i mean if youre snowed or iced in what can you do? lol

GGEM looks to be fairly east, zoomed in at hour 36.  

Edit:  It's a hair east of it's 12z run, which was pretty good.

And with that, I'm cashing out for the night.  As far as I'm concerned, we have a good model consensus with the low track that is favorable for most of the I-85 corridor.  I'll take my chances with some sleet if I have to, but I'm calling the 0z runs a success!  Don't fail me now EURO.  Night y'all!

Thanks!

Prob no power in Fay so you'd prob be better off in Gboro....either way you will have issues at some pt traveling.

Here's the CMC precip map when the SLP is over the sounds.  By this time most of the precip has moved out which was a heavy snow in WNC and a nasty IP/freezing rain event in Central NC.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/2014021200/I_nw_r1_EST_2014021200_033.png

Thanks!

NW of GSO, 30-40 miles

Thanks!

Fayetteville looks to get moucho ice. Power issues?

The precip is way ahead of schedule ! It's in ATL already. Was suppose to be here at 7-8 am. Looks like 2-3 at latest! My temp is stuck at 32.5, has been for 4 hours!

does seem to be a little of schedule.  was trying to figure out timing for a possible nap. gave up on that idea and will just zone in the chair in front of the fire lol.  what is your dewpoint?  its below freezing here, so you are close to that magical mark as well.  if your dewpoint is a little lower when the precip arrives should be frozen.

The precip is way ahead of schedule ! It's in ATL already. Was suppose to be here at 7-8 am. Looks like 2-3 at latest! My temp is stuck at 32.5, has been for 4 hours!

Agreed! Just comparing Lanie Popes timing and her estimates were significantly off given the actuals we are seeing on radar. This thing is easily 4-6 hours early....or...this is the finger we've been waiting for?

Busick, the road crews do a good job out here, IMO.  I mean, they're not perfect, but we get enough snow each year that the primary roads should be passable.  The secondary roads might be a disaster, though, and therein lies your issue.  If you can find somewhere close to a primary road, you should be fine.  Well, unless the UKMET is right and we're still hammering well into Thursday...........

Busick, the road crews do a good job out here, IMO.  I mean, they're not perfect, but we get enough snow each year that the primary roads should be passable.  The secondary roads might be a disaster, though, and therein lies your issue.  If you can find somewhere close to a primary road, you should be fine.  Well, unless the UKMET is right and we're still hammering well into Thursday...........

I can't find a place for totaled accumulated precip for UK and some of the 6 hour panels are not showing the precip on the maps. Do you have any more details in regard to the total precip?

Here's the CMC precip map when the SLP is over the sounds.  By this time most of the precip has moved out which was a heavy snow in WNC and a nasty IP/freezing rain event in Central NC.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/2014021200/I_nw_r1_EST_2014021200_033.png

what time frame is this because here in Greensboro they say it stays all snow for this event. Current temp outside my house sits at 22F which is a degree colder than forecast.

Thanks!

Definitely Greensboro...we have plows and whatnot.  421 will be good in Guilford County by then...I can't make any promises after that.  Fayetteville may be ground zero for the ice apocalypse.

what time frame is this because here in Greensboro they say it stays all snow for this event. Current temp outside my house sits at 22F which is a degree colder than forecast.

This would be early Thursday morning, just before daylight.  As the main batch of precip pulls away.

Agreed! Just comparing Lanie Popes timing and her estimates were significantly off given the actuals we are seeing on radar. This thing is easily 4-6 hours early....or...this is the finger we've been waiting for?

We might just be getting the finger! If we get an extra 4 or 5 hours of snow / sleet from this finger, but can only help totals. Just imagine, you get the finger first and deform band to finish, epic!

Archived