Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

QPF Totals:

GSO: 2.0" (probably all-snow, but it's very borderline for a few hours)

INT: 2.0" (probably all-snow)

MWK: 2.2" (Big Frosty is crushed......)

GSP: 1.7-2.0" (All-snow)

CLT: ~2.0" (Definitely mixing, but still crushed)

RDU: 1.5" (First ~0.6" is snow)

CAE: 2.0"

This is the greatest Euro run of my life.  Even if it's overdone........ Wow

Copied from forecast and discussion. I can only hope for that here in Spartanburg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, Raleigh gets 0.6" QPF or so before the changeover.  850s warm to 7C by hr 36, but crash back below 0C by hr 42.  Insane...  Raleigh does flip to 35 and rain after that...

Does it ever switch back over to snow in Raleigh or does it get hit at all by the deformation band?

The euro is the most incredible model run I've seen in my lifetime for snow in WNC, I'm speechless :weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie:

No doubt! Buries my parents up in Northern Catawba County, shoot all of the county just about, in 16". If winds are again modeled strong, there will be widespread damage to trees and powerlines even with it being all snow

Thanks and one more question any idea on how much ZR before we switch over to rain?

Not much... there's not a lot of icing that I can see in E NC.  The warm nose is piping hot in the mid-levels (850s of 7-8C at one point).  A lot of areas get icing, but temperatures warm into the mid-30s fairly quickly with that monstrous low pressure system just off to the east (and the 850 low passing well to the west).

LOL, I guess DT went to bed.  I was hoping for an *ALEEEEEEEEET* *ALEEEEEEEEEEEEEET* after that Euro run.

he must have lol.  either that or threw his computer out his window earlier

i was thinking about trying to sleep a bit but looked out a little while ago and flakes were already flying ahead of schedule.  thinking sleeping about now is probably not likely :lol:

I think this place might be a lot quieter tomorrow as grids start to go across SC and GA  :(  Shame.....would be fun to have everyone enjoy this together.

Just hold it together for the UNC/Dook game TAPCO, you hear me?

??

Well, I was able to get 2 hours of sleep anyways.

I woke up, checked the radar and that’s game over for my sleep.  Looks like it will start here in the next 30 minutes!

at least you were smart and got a little sleep :lol: i looked outside right before laying down and saw the first flakes starting. that did it for me. it started quite a bit ahead of schedule :weight_lift:   we are into stead light snow now, and i am stoked for the heavier returns near gainesville to make here (should be not too long.)

i hope whatever it is makes thur morning unworkable around here.  i am going to need to crash at some point haha

what is yalls temp over that way now?

??

at least you were smart and got a little sleep :lol: i looked outside right before laying down and saw the first flakes starting. that did it for me. it started quite a bit ahead of schedule :weight_lift:   we are into stead light snow now, and i am stoked for the heavier returns near gainesville to make here (should be not too long.)

i hope whatever it is makes thur morning unworkable around here.  i am going to need to crash at some point haha

what is yalls temp over that way now?

I’m sitting at 31 over here. I’m hoping that we will drop a little more once the snow gets cranking. 

We are getting a better handle on things and I feel pretty confident in this forecast for most areas. Unfortunately, Raleigh is still in a position very difficult to forecast, but I give my best guess below and I feel relatively good about it.

Raleigh: Snow begins between 11AM and 2PM tomorrow. 2-4" of snow accumulates before switching to freezing rain sometime tomorrow evening/night. Freezing rain falls through the night. Ice accumulations between 0.25-0.5" This is enough to down power lines. Freezing rain may change to plain old rain for awhile, but, honestly, I don't see this happening, at least not for long enough to make a huge difference. Storm ends with a quick 1-3" of snow on the backside. Precip finishes by mid-late afternoon Thursday.

Statesville: Snow starts between 10AM and 1PM tomorrow and continues through at least noon Thursday. Some sleet may mix in overnight Wednesday, but total accumulations should be between 8-12"

Charlotte: Snow begins between 9AM and Noon. 3-6" of snow accumulates before switching to sleet and freezing rain. Up to 0.25" of freezing rain and 1" of sleet expected. An additional 1-2" of snow could occur Thursday before the storm exits by noon.

Greensboro: Snow begins between 11AM and 2PM tomorrow. Snow should mix with sleet overnight. Some freezing rain not out of the question. Storm ends as snow and exits by mid-afternoon Thursday 6-10" of snow, Trace-0.2" of freezing rain.

Concord: Snow begins between 10 AM and 1PM tomorrow. Snow will mix with sleet and freezing rain overnight. Solid snow returns to end the system by early afternoon Thursday. 4-8" of snow and 0.1-0.25" of freezing rain. 

Greenville: Plain old rain for most of the system. Some sleet may mix in at onset of precip (around noon).

New Bern: Rain. Some sleet could mix in at the beginning (10AM - noon timeframe). Enjoy today's 9" while it lasts!

Boone: Snow begins by early-late afternoon and goes strong through Thursday afternoon. 8-12"+

Lenoir/Hickory: Snow begins sometime between 10AM and 1PM. Should stay all snow. 8-12"

**Let me be clear, this is going to be a major storm for many people. It has been several years since we have seen an event of this magnitude, so please be prepared:

**Checklist of things that need to be done by tomorrow at 11AM (should have already been done):
1. Fill gas tank
2. Get enough food and drinking water to last you for at least 2 days. Remember, if power goes out, you will not be able to prepare many foods, or even heat up a can of soup! Kind of a"duhh," but often overlooked or forgotten.
3. Have some cash. Winter storms often affect store's abilities to process credit/debit transactions.
4. Have flashlights and fresh batteries. 
5. Charge devices, such as cell phones, laptops, etc. 
6. Once the storm sets in, stay put. Roads are expected to become extremely dangerous, and in some places, impassable. 

Archived