wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Burns' Big Banter Bonanza

NCsandhills

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be interesting to see how the day goes here in ENC. Temperatures are lower than forecasted but it is predicted to warm up pretty quickly. I imagine anything we get today will be gone tomorrow due to the forecasted rain. The 4 inches yesterday was more than we expected to get anyway.

I think this is due to sleet cutting down on totals in the upstate.

that's what I thinking as well. Which model(s) do you think they are putting the most weight in? Seems like they always take a broad brush/blend approach which is probally the best approach.....but if the euro turned out to be right......whoa nelly!!

Good morning, everyone! That was a terrible night of sleep for me, but here I am. Hopefully, the same Sudafed that kept me awake tonight will do the trick tomorrow night, too, LOL. This nasty cold virus just won't quit.

Thanks for pming me the update... btw look outside for me? Radar shows returns.

Snow soon to start for you.

Good morning SE crew...The radar is looking great this morning. Even though we won't be all snow here in RDU, it has been a long time since we've seen the radar look like that for a winter storm. I'm hoping the western part of the state has a great storm. It has been a long time coming for places like Hickory and Asheville. For my area, 3" of snow is the number I'm hoping for. 3" w/ ice on top would be a heck of a storm. Also those to the south in SC/Ga...stay safe in this ice!

A little worried that the Triangle area has setup a 2005 or Atlanta 2014 situation. No one in the business world seems to be taking this seriously. Wouldn't be surprised to see long traffic this afternoon.

Most of the roads are treated this time, so hopefully it won't be as bad. Plus the schools are out. Those two components were the two biggest issues in 2005.

Good morning SE crew...The radar is looking great this morning. Even though we won't be all snow here in RDU, it has been a long time since we've seen the radar look like that for a winter storm. I'm hoping the western part of the state has a great storm. It has been a long time coming for places like Hickory and Asheville. For my area, 3" of snow is the number I'm hoping for. 3" w/ ice on top would be a heck of a storm. Also those to the south in SC/Ga...stay safe in this ice!

Yeah, this is going to be a fun ride here! Last 3 years had been frustrating back home in Johnston County, but look like all I had to do was to go to college here in order to get a big one :)

James, feel better. You have sledding, snowman making, snow cream eating, and snowball fighting to do!I like Raleigh's post about the pressure falls. :)

Just waiting on Franklin and others to start going crazy with that, LOL. So the Euro is 25 miles to far west, doesn't change what they are going to see, where the deform band sets up will decide who gets 6-8" and who gets 12"+. I like GSO/INT down to CLT/HKY, but will see, maybe it will be farther west.

Good morning, everyone! That was a terrible night of sleep for me, but here I am. Hopefully, the same Sudafed that kept me awake tonight will do the trick tomorrow night, too, LOL. This nasty cold virus just won't quit.

Just woke up too, you know what they say, board members who don't sleep together stay together.

Most of the roads are treated this time, so hopefully it won't be as bad. Plus the schools are out. Those two components were the two biggest issues in 2005.

They treated the roads in Atlanta this time and the only thing keeping the Interstates open is the lack of traffic. The vast majority of surface streets are covered in ice/IP.

another seldom posting Raleigh guy reporting for duty and echoing the well wishes for the folks caught in the worst of the ice.  we won't see the worst of it but I've got about 20 mature pines behind the building that were just cackling at the icier solutions yesterday - here's hoping a track slightly east comes to fruition!

I don't think that does much of anything. Agreed that schools being out will make everything far better.

It helps if rates are low.  Even if high snow rates cover the roads the brine keeps the packed down snow from adhering to the pavement and make it much easier to plow clean with one pass.

another seldom posting Raleigh guy reporting for duty and echoing the well wishes for the folks caught in the worst of the ice.  we won't see the worst of it but I've got about 20 mature pines behind the building that were just cackling at the icier solutions yesterday - here's hoping a track slightly east comes to fruition!

Good luck. We have one pine left in our yard. I had two cut down. Fortunately, this one is leaning away from the house.

We have lots of pines in our yard, also. Oh, well, we've been talking about having some of them taken down, maybe the ice will save us the trouble of having to get HOA approval. As much as I'd like to see some snow in central NC, I want no part of another glaze storm.

BTW, long-time lurker here... thanks to all you folks who make this place a fascinating read. I'm more of a climate/oceanography guy than meteorology, so I learn a lot reading these threads.

Archived