joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.. lowest is 6... highest is a two footer. Looks like most centered around a foot. Simply amazing to look at.

Only thing is that you are dealing with the same issue on those charts of not knowing ptype for sure.  I think the more interesting figure is that the Euro Ensemble Mean had 1.6 inches of liquid equivalent for Charlotte.  Euro Ens Mean is probably as good as any tool with QPF...so it's a big storm no matter how the precip type shakes out - snow/sleet

Only thing is that you are dealing with the same issue on those charts of not knowing ptype for sure. I think the more interesting figure is that the Euro Ensemble Mean had 1.6 inches of liquid equivalent for Charlotte. Euro Ens Mean is probably as good as any tool with QPF...so it's a big storm no matter how the precip type shakes out - snow/sleet

Right.. I'm sure some of those high totals are more of a sleet event.. but the trend of more QPF is clear.

The RGEM is now precariously close to ATL with snow tomorrow AM...it has them going over at the airport at least 16-18Z as the first wave starts winding down but from 13Z onward its entirely possible north of 285 is snowing...again the boundary layer may be too warm due to earlier rains to really get surface temps below 34-35 at this time but its good news as far as the 2nd wave which the RGEM now shows as mainly sleet over NRN GA or a mix of FZRA and sleet.

gemreg12_PT.17.gif?t=1392045872

The RGEM is now precariously close to ATL with snow tomorrow AM...it has them going over at the airport at least 16-18Z as the first wave starts winding down but from 13Z onward its entirely possible north of 285 is snowing...again the boundary layer may be too warm due to earlier rains to really get surface temps below 34-35 at this time but its good news as far as the 2nd wave which the RGEM now shows as mainly sleet over NRN GA or a mix of FZRA and sleet.

gemreg12_PT.17.gif?t=1392045872

TY for posting that...That is starting to show a ZR threat *verbatim on runs* down to me in MCN

Has anyone viewed soundings for RDU or locations near there from the 12z NAM. Looking strictly at 850s, it looks like the temp stays right at the freezing line through much of the storm. Would this not likely translate into more snow for RDU?

There will be a warm layer in there somewhere other than 850. Pray it's thin and the near surface freezing layer is thick.

has their been any consensus regarding timing? I have been trying to keep an eye on the forecast and the models the last few days as I had to travel to greenville, sc and will be (hopefully) driving home up 85 tomorrow to asheboro, nc. am i right in it appears to be mostly light stuff until late tuesday early wednesday?

has their been any consensus regarding timing? I have been trying to keep an eye on the forecast and the models the last few days as I had to travel to greenville, sc and will be (hopefully) driving home up 85 tomorrow to asheboro, nc. am i right in it appears to be mostly light stuff until late tuesday early wednesday?

Yes, main show is overnight Tues into Wed for that route

Holy Crap!  Check out the bufkit data from the 12z nam!  Shows 19.6 inches of snow in Greensboro!

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=nam&site=kgso

Something interesting about this and different than the previous storm is the predicted high ratios due to excellent omega (lift) occurring in the favored snow growth zone. Compare this to the previous storm where the lift and optimal DGZ were not overlapping so we got the little crystals instead of nice aggregates. I do think such a high ratio per the bufkit data is unlikely, however.

Archived