joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The transition line usually starts between Smithfield and Clayton, NC in situations like this event with more snow as you go west. If the low tracks over the Coastal Plain near or between I-95 and US 17,Raleigh usually gets ice or rain. Every storm is different, but usually this is how I remember the big coastal set ups.

If it does happen, it's amazing the stature this winter will have achieved considering we all but threw away December.

After how much cold weather we have had, I'd put this winter up there with the best of them I know that much.

Btw, I just mentioned this in the other thread but surface winds are going to be on the order of 15 to 20 knots substained (not counting higher gusts) so that is only going to make things much worse for areas hit hard with freezing rain.

But even those areas that get all snow or a lot of it, it looks like it's going to be fairly wet..especially near the transition zone and that could bring some trees down itself.

After how much cold weather we have had, I'd put this winter up there with the best of them I know that much.

Btw, I just mentioned this in the other thread but surface winds are going to be on the order of 15 to 20 knots substained (not counting higher gusts) so that is only going to make things much worse for areas hit hard with freezing rain.

But even those areas that get all snow or a lot of it, it looks like it's going to be fairly wet..especially near the transition zone and that could bring some trees down itself.

Yes, the wind is gonna make things go nuts!!  BTW, throw this at ya, I know think we need as much QPF across our states with first wave, models with more tend to have a colder profile quicker.  Hope that makes sense...what you think?

Yes, the wind is gonna make things go nuts!!  BTW, throw this at ya, I know think we need as much QPF across our states with first wave, models with more tend to have a colder profile quicker.  Hope that makes sense...what you think?

yeah it helps keep the temp profiles down. This mornings nam is much colder at the surface here and is showing all snow now for athens. Earlier runs had it in the 36 or 37 degree range..now it's just barely above freezing by hour 27.

The nam says this first wave is no joke..has 0.50 liquid here..so a really good snow here. Ratios probably will be fairly low so 2 to 4 inches look good. For atlanta, it looks close to snow with a near isothermal layer near freezing. i mean it's right on the line with temps just barely above freezing aloft

Any other time this wave would be getting tons of attention..now it's mostly an after thought..amazing

850 line looks like it's either right over or just south of ATL at 36. It looks to me like at 5h it's going to phase later than the 6z. Only time will tell.

The southern energy however at 36 is much stronger over around the Dallas area and the energy diving down the Rockies this should be fun to watch here in a couple frames

09Z SREF plumes are looking really good for WNC. Here is the graph for KHKY. The mean is around 7.5 inches. The max is greater than 20 inches. Of course, the min is also just above 1 inch...

GSP mean was around the same, highest member was a tick under 25! Phone messes up every time I try to pull up the CLT plume

Archived