• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

For RDU folks, not sure what I think about the latest runs. Looks like both the NAM and GFS setup the significant wintery precip line around the US 1 corridor. Snow fall maps for both models have 6+ inches from about US 1 westward with a very sharp drop off to the east. 850s would scream that a lot of this was ice, so I would halve this to about 3" (of snow, sleet, freezing rain) from US1 to actually 6+ near the Triad.

Just what I see in the models. I will say we are on the line. We do not want this thing to go anymore westward. In fact even a weaker storm is good.

EDIT:

NAM:

http://www.twisterdata.com/data/models/nam/221/maps/2014/02/10/06/NAM_221_2014021006_F81_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

GFS

http://www.twisterdata.com/data/models/gfs/3/maps/2014/02/10/06/GFS_3_2014021006_F78_SNOWIN_SURFACE.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GEFS keeps the low off shore and it looks like 6z GEFS is going to do the same. Now it's the Euro vs. the NAM/CMC/GFS and UKMet. Will be interesting to see who wins out.

I am a little conflicted on what to believe as I'm sure you, and most folks on the mixing lines, are. Normally there is a NW trend as we near go time with these southern systems, which makes me think the GFS may shift towards the other models. I know that the nam tends to over amp systems which means the qpf totals won't be as insane as they look, and that it may shift east a bit due to being weaker. The euro tends to hold energy back too long which would mean the phase may not happen as far west as it's showing if our energy is a little more progressive. It's no fun being on the line. Luckily, I don't see getting a significant amount of freezing rain because I think (and hope) it will be primarily snow and sleet.

The bottom line is that the western half of NC will get a major winter storm no matter which model is correct. I just don't know if it will be 2 inches of concrete or 6 inches of mashed potatoes.

packfan 98: For our county if it's all snow (best scenario) we will cash in with 9-12+. However we are on the transition line and 40 mile shift east-west is gonna tell the tale. Right now worst case modled for us is 3 inches on the front followed by another inch of sleet, then 1-3 on the backside. Compact that down and you will end up with an accum of 5 inches. Not concerned at the moment for having to deal with any freezing rain. However it shakes out we are gonna have a nice winter storm.

packfan 98: For our county if it's all snow (best scenario) we will cash in with 9-12+. However we are on the transition line and 40 mile shift east-west is gonna tell the tale. Right now worst case modled for us is 3 inches on the front followed by another inch of sleet, then 1-3 on the backside. Compact that down and you will end up with an accum of 5 inches. Not concerned at the moment for having to deal with any freezing rain. However it shakes out we are gonna have a nice winter storm.

Bro, you better not have just jinxed us. :facepalm:

The 6z nam was crazy.  The bufkit data shows 2.3 inches of snow, followed by .12" sleet, .99" of FREEZING RAIN, and then it switches back to snow and we get 6.9 more inches!  What a mess that would be. Here's the meteogram for GSO for the latest nam and gfs:

prec.png

prec.png

00z GEFS keeps the low off shore and it looks like 6z GEFS is going to do the same. Now it's the Euro vs. the NAM/CMC/GFS and UKMet. Will be interesting to see who wins out.

Looks like 6z GEFS keeps the track just inland.

I am not concerned with sleet myself. The models always underestimate the CAD and the I inyesity should make this mainly snow with IP/zr during slow periods.

I wouldn't say you are ground zero..I think those "honors" will go to augusta over toward columbia. That area has consistently been shown to go below freezing early.

At least the models have consistently insisted that I will be without power for days   :P  If this actually happens, it will be the most ice I have ever seen  ;) 

post-279-0-10257200-1392037466_thumb.png

post-279-0-56511000-1392037485_thumb.png

post-279-0-74935800-1392037505_thumb.png

9z SREF also looks to setup the "surface freezing line" in lines with RAH (US 401 westward).

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=075ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F09%2Fsref_namer_075_2m_temp.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=2m_temp&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=

This would be a major ice storm for Raleigh westward (..to where the snow/sleet predomanates more)

6z NAM gives CLT 4" of Snow and 1.69" of FZR while the 6z GFS gives us 4.5" of snow and just under 3/4 of an inch of ice based on the Cobb output. That isn't counting the 2" of snow the GFS has in round 1 on tomorrow.

6z NAM: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm&site=kclt

6z GFS: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=kclt

Archived