amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep the storm on Monday 17th twc is showing a high of 52 but then a mix on wednesday the 19th.  I thought march according to twc was suppose to be colder than normal in the entire east,  well we have 70 today and 70 tomorrow.  something wrong with this picture, doesn't match up with the month of march forecast.    :banned:

Surprised more aren't talking about this one. Now inside 200 hours.

12z CMC found it, although has a weird track/look, it bombs

cBzPY0z.gif

18z GFS has a similar look.

Screams of cold chasing moisture though, we'll see. Should be fun to track.

isn't it 95 percent of the time cold chasing moisture.  just 40 percent of the time I'd like to have the cold air in place where its moisture coming in to cold air already here.  

yep the storm on Monday 17th twc is showing a high of 52 but then a mix on wednesday the 19th.  I thought march according to twc was suppose to be colder than normal in the entire east,  well we have 70 today and 70 tomorrow.  something wrong with this picture, doesn't match up with the month of march forecast.    :banned:

It's TWC. Pretty sure their 10 day+ is automatically generated from the latest GFS, so that forecast isn't really a surprise considering the system comes later. Why are you looking at TWC?

610temp.new.gif

It's TWC. Pretty sure their 10 day+ is automatically generated from the latest GFS, so that forecast isn't really a surprise considering the system comes later. Why are you looking at TWC?

610temp.new.gif

your right why am I looking at twc?    think I would have learned my lesson by now.  they seem to show so easily snow for the northeast but when it comes to nc and areas around nc its like pulling teeth for them to show us we have a chance of snow.

Anybody looking at TWC or Accuweather for an accurate forecast must be intentionally trying to get wrong information....especially beyond a couple of days, much less more than a week out!

The 0z GFS doesn't make a lot of sense in how it is able to get enough cold this far south for snow. The system takes a good track and the verbatim output is probably snow, but no way it would be cold enough, if its H5 prog is right, which it isn't. The 6z, IMO, is a much more likely scenario, which shows very little snow outside the mountains.

The Euro is still hanging the threat out in the D9-10 range. The good thing about the latest trends is that the track appears to be favorable for some areas in the SE. I'm not sure that there is currently a mechanism to get enough cold in here for snow, but there's plenty of time to define that as we get closer.

The favored areas are the mountains and the western areas of NC. Getting snow outside those areas is doable, but it's a tough ask this time of year. We're going to really need to see a strong high develop in a favorable location at just the right time, in order to expect more. In mid/late March, that is going to be crucial. Watch for that in the coming model cycles.

Anybody looking at TWC or Accuweather for an accurate forecast must be intentionally trying to get wrong information....especially beyond a couple of days, much less more than a week out!

The 0z GFS doesn't make a lot of sense in how it is able to get enough cold this far south for snow. The system takes a good track and the verbatim output is probably snow, but no way it would be cold enough, if its H5 prog is right, which it isn't. The 6z, IMO, is a much more likely scenario, which shows very little snow outside the mountains.

The Euro is still hanging the threat out in the D9-10 range. The good thing about the latest trends is that the track appears to be favorable for some areas in the SE. I'm not sure that there is currently a mechanism to get enough cold in here for snow, but there's plenty of time to define that as we get closer.

The favored areas are the mountains and the western areas of NC. Getting snow outside those areas is doable, but it's a tough ask this time of year. We're going to really need to see a strong high develop in a favorable location at just the right time, in order to expect more. In mid/late March, that is going to be crucial. Watch for that in the coming model cycles.

My guess looking at the last couple of runs would be one of those situations where we get snow falling but nothing can stick due to lackluster rates. I'm still not overly excited about March doing much. Last week was a bit of good timing with the CAD entrenched but even then we couldn't seem to get enough cold air so thus the majority of it for most was ZR.

12z CMC gives almost the whole state of NC a widespread inch of snow with Greenville jackpotting around 5" on Monday-Tuesday. Haha whats new.  Even gives upstate SC a couple of inches.  It also has a pretty large clipper system loaded up and about to dip south @hr 240 but that is a ways away.

The 12z Euro shows a pretty nice winter storm solution for the western half of NC (roughly) on March 17th-18th.  Looks like a major storm for roughly Burlington to Statesvile and north and west of there.  Surface temperatures are around 32-33 with 850s well below 0C.  Probably a wet snow accumulating to roughly 3-6", which would probably stick given that rates look pretty good.  A funky setup, but ULLs are magical sometimes.

This is probably a waste of my time given that it's the middle of March, but I can't help myself.

As has been noted, there's also a clipper on March 19th that might drop a little snow (skeptical on accumulations, though).

Whatever the case, snow or not, it's cold for mid to late March.  Looks like a fair amount of mid-20s for lows for much of NC and N GA in the extended, all the way out to D10.

EDIT: The 18z GFS has picked up on some snow on 3/17-3/18 for some areas, too.

The 12z Euro shows a pretty nice winter storm solution for the western half of NC (roughly) on March 17th-18th. Looks like a major storm for roughly Burlington to Statesvile and north and west of there. Surface temperatures are around 32-33 with 850s well below 0C. Probably a wet snow accumulating to roughly 3-6", which would probably stick given that rates look pretty good. A funky setup, but ULLs are magical sometimes.

This is probably a waste of my time given that it's the middle of March, but I can't help myself.

As has been noted, there's also a clipper on March 19th that might drop a little snow (skeptical on accumulations, though).

Whatever the case, snow or not, it's cold for mid to late March. Looks like a fair amount of mid-20s for lows for much of NC and N GA in the extended, all the way out to D10.

You and GaWx keep up the updates! Sounds like cold I'd coming, whether it snows or not! Just might be hard to stay up til 2-3 to wait on the Euro!

RAH this afternoon

CONFIDENCE IN DAYS 6 AND 7 IS VERY LOW WITH A VERY COMPLICATED
PATTERN THAT SUGGEST A DIGGING NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH ALONG WITH
SOME SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY COULD RESULT IN A STORM SYSTEM THAT
MOVES ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST COAST. THE CALENDAR AND NWP GUIDANCE
SUGGESTS THAT THE THREAT OF ANY WINTRY PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE
LIMITED BUT THIS HAS NOT BEEN A TYPICAL WINTER AND THE COLDER AIR
WILL NOT BE TOO FAR AWAY. FOR NOW FOR NOW WILL INTRODUCE CHANCE POPS
FOR MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT WITH NEAR SEASONABLE TEMPERATURES.
-BLAES

&&

I haven't looked at a model since Thursday, but come on Euro, not this again, where is spring, the PV is sitting just above the lakes….

I think euros bias is in effect with this one. But if the trend continue towards euro... there should be more cold air available with the setup in whole and ULL than the last one.  540dm would be certainly stronger ULL wise unlike the last. Overall between the 3... all showing a decent frontal passage with CAA taking place and the possibility of moisture in the cold.

Looks Interesting!

gfs_namer_162_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Certainly does. Not too far off of the 12z gfs and 12z CMC. Even though there is differences of the other features too. But possibly a cold front passing through CAA filtering in with an upper level disturbance causing precip behind the front in cold air.

Both look worlds apart from the Euro, but also support the general theme of  the Euro with a W/ NW NC wintry event.

gfs_namer_162_500_vort_ht.gif

Differences but also similarities. 

f168.gif

00z Euro has a 1006mb low off Wilmington and drops a decent hit for Central and Eastern NC. Ensemble mean is 2" for RDU with 23 members with snow and 4 big dogs.

I haven't really been following things since I am more ready for spring now than seeing more snow. Is this for the St Patrick's Day system? Is the Euro the only one showing snow here now?

I haven't really been following things since I am more ready for spring now than seeing more snow. Is this for the St Patrick's Day system? Is the Euro the only one showing snow here now?

not to many folks talking much Brick.  I don't know if the 17th storm is still showing or not.  Just looked at Roberts facebook and he doesn't sound to bullish on any freezing precip for anyone in NC.  :snowing:

i thought Monday was suppose to be looking pretty good for some in nc.  don't know if our experts are tired from the last storm or not really much showing up right now or both.  I should say for Asheville the non storm.  all we had was a little rain/snow mix.

00z Euro has a 1006mb low off Wilmington and drops a decent hit for Central and Eastern NC. Ensemble mean is 2" for RDU with 23 members with snow and 4 big dogs.

You talking about between 144 and 168? That's the only thing I can see on eWall that looks close. Everything else looks like garbage.

Archived