• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion III

Marion_NC_WX

12z only out to 138 on Weatherbell...remember the time change today. 12z GFS run starts around noon and then takes about an hour...Euro will be rolling in 2:30-ish today.

12z gfs has a cut off low @hr 204 with a 546 contour centered over the GA/SC border.  Looks like it would produce its own cold air if this were the final solution.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe it, There may be a couple more chances yet, just looking at the models! Wow!!! Like you said I may have spoke to soon? # winter uncancel

Cold chasing moisture above. Would be a nice rain event though. The Euro from last night was close to interesting. It amplified a bit too quickly, but at day 9/10, it'll change anyway.

the may 1992 event. Remember it well. Big cutoff upper low stacked storm system. Mt. Pisgah received 60" of snow from that storm, and for novelty sake, produced KGSP's only snowfall in May on record. A rain/snow mix at 37 degrees. I was stuck in the mid 40's during that washout.

I know one thing...Thursday is going to be a reminder that winter cold can still blast through the region. Both the operational and ensembles are showing -15 850's Thursday morning in the Carolina mountains. For me, after a potential string of 4 straight days in the 70's, Thursday may be lucky to hit 40.

I know one thing...Thursday is going to be a reminder that winter cold can still blast through the region. Both the operational and ensembles are showing -15 850's Thursday morning in the Carolina mountains. For me, after a potential string of 4 straight days in the 70's, Thursday may be lucky to hit 40.

I'm very much looking forward for winter to return. After all, it is still winter on the calendar at least.

looks to have a good snow for the mtns including north Georgia. 1000mb low running thru central nc! This is 192 hours so huge grain of salt.

Yep, an early AM St. Patrick's Day snow is showing up on the 12Z Euro clown fwiw from N ATL burbs N and W (1-3"). For a change, the clown is not off of its rocker as the model is truly generating snow in this case. I'm not saying the model is definitely going to be right. I'm just saying that the clown is consistent for a change.

Yep, an early AM St. Patrick's Day snow is showing up on the 12Z Euro clown fwiw from N ATL burbs N and W (1-3"). For a change, the clown is not off of its rocker as the model is truly generating snow in this case. I'm not saying the model is definitely going to be right. I'm just saying that the clown is consistent for a change.

18Z Goofy clown similar to 12Z Euro clown for 3/17 fwiw.

12z Euro ens mean is an improvement in that it sends the low up the coast, what we would want to see for March.

12/50 12z Euro ensemble members have snow for RDU, one big dog.

12z GFS ensembles 2 members have 988mb and 974mb lows off the coast of NC. LOL. Several other members have this system, but it's inland. Either way, exciting to think about tracking winter storms well into March!

I'm very much looking forward for winter to return. After all, it is still winter on the calendar at least.

Yeah, for at least another 3 weeks.  I'm betting on a nice ull coming down and swinging by under me next Sunday/Monday.  Whatever, the gfs has had a storm since it came up with the ull for a number of runs now...so what's not to believe?  And a cold spring, then a cool summer, a cold fall, and a S. Pole fridged winter coming...can't wait!!!  T

12z Euro ens mean is an improvement in that it sends the low up the coast, what we would want to see for March.

12/50 12z Euro ensemble members have snow for RDU, one big dog.

12z GFS ensembles 2 members have 988mb and 974mb lows off the coast of NC. LOL. Several other members have this system, but it's inland. Either way, exciting to think about tracking winter storms well into March!

would like to have one more snow in asheville before the winter is over.  I thought this last storm we would get heavy snow but all we got was a rain / snow mix, nothing on the ground and GSP had us for heavy snow that night but it never happened.  Yep just one more good snow for asheville and we're be ready for spring.   :snowing:

Surprised more aren't talking about this one. Now inside 200 hours.

12z CMC found it, although has a weird track/look, it bombs

cBzPY0z.gif

18z GFS has a similar look.

Screams of cold chasing moisture though, we'll see. Should be fun to track.

Well, the GFS just shifted our March 18th potential long-shot event about 500 miles south from the previous run, LOL.  Looks like some snow for portions of NC, taken verbatim.  Maybe.

EDIT: Oh, then a nice clipper rolls through on March 19th and drops more more light snow.

I don't know about you, but I'm all-in.  I'm thinking of firing up a thread. :lol:

Well, the GFS just shifted our March 18th potential long-shot event about 500 miles south from the previous run, LOL.  Looks like some snow for portions of NC, taken verbatim.  Maybe.

EDIT: Oh, then a nice clipper rolls through on March 19th and drops more more light snow.

I don't know about you, but I'm all-in.  I'm thinking of firing up a thread. :lol:

Yep, a Carolinas (mainly NC lol...what's new?) special on the 0Z Goofy per my clown. Part 1 3/18-19. Part 2 3/19-20! There's even a bit of CAD thrown in for good measure mainly for the 2nd event. What a winter!!

Yep, a Carolinas (mainly NC lol...what's new?) special on the 0Z Goofy per my clown. Part 1 3/18-19. Part 2 3/19-20! There's even a bit of CAD thrown in for good measure mainly for the 2nd event. What a winter!!

The Canadian also appears to potentially have a pretty major winter storm (maybe for upstate SC, too) on March 17th, though the setup is quite funky.  I can't tell for sure with the lack of maps available at this time, though.

Surprised more aren't talking about this one. Now inside 200 hours.

12z CMC found it, although has a weird track/look, it bombs

cBzPY0z.gif

18z GFS has a similar look.

Screams of cold chasing moisture though, we'll see. Should be fun to track.

don't see much snow with this map unless it had just come thru wnc?

don't see much snow with this map unless it had just come thru wnc?

Yeah that's not a snow map. The main focus is there's a storm bombing out on several models off the SE/MA coast. That particular model run gives Raleigh and some in the Piedmont T-2" but snow maps are silly this far out. There's snow on the back side with a track like that a comma head would form over W NC/C NC

Archived