Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy to see all these pics of what appears to be a crippling ice storm. I'm in Huntingdon county right now and from the window it looks like very little precip even fell. A glaze on porches and bannisters but that is it. No limbs hanging or even ice on the power lines. Have to think it was prmarily sleet or one hell of a dry slot lol

Never lost power but hbg made good morning America!

Hope Eskimo Joe's happy with the ice storm he wanted.

I don't know if its because I live on a hill, but we only have about 0.25" ice.

I hope he loses power for a week. Anomalous weather is fun, until it starts negatively impacting life.

We never lost power.  Underground lines.  Roads were passable, just had to dodge a few small tree limbs in the subaru.

I really need to invest in an axe.

Go to Lowe's and get a Fiskar's Axe and hatchet.  You won't regret it.

just melted down 1.36" liquid equiv.

Nice.  Glad to see qpf was not overdone. Gulf connection FTW.

Made it into work in Bellefonte.  Outside of town the main roads aren't too bad. In town was a mess...some main roads basically unplowed. Almost got stuck.  Light freezing rain here now.

BTW anyone around harrisbug, did the sleet wake you around 3 am? It was so heavy and so our it sounded like pea-sized hail in a TX thunderstorm.

VD07 didn't bring that even.

oh yes sir. i have been up since about 245ish and that is why. I left for work about 530, i wouldn't say the roads were bad but they were not great. I-81 was plowed, but felt like rumble strips because of the ruts, it was also like driving in a lake from the water pooling. Side roads i don't think were touched then. Mount Holley area of Cumberland County took a good hit, i hear them going from call to call, trees and wires down, transformer fires etc.

This..main reason why I don't get the fascination with tornados. Maybe cool to see the evolution and all that, but why wish for something that will ultimately bring destruction.

Exactly. As I said I hate freezing rain and lived through a Rochester NY ice storm - we got between 1.5 to 2 inches of ice. Power out for several days. Severe impacts to infrastructure. Did not want to see it happen again. Even the little ice we got caused us all these problems today.  Lighting flickered a couple of times in Lititz. Got to work remotely at least. Hope everyone is safe.

I went to shovel, holy f be careful. It'll give you a heart attack. 2" sleet compacted topped with roughly .3" zr. Then t started raining and I gave up for now.

So, who's up for a 6" Sunday Special?

it seems like its getting worse on the west shore, as far as storm related emergency calls.

i haven't looked ahead to Sunday, is that what it is now 6"

I went to shovel, holy f be careful. It'll give you a heart attack. 2" sleet compacted topped with roughly .3" zr. Then t started raining and I gave up for now.

My sidewalk (interior townhouse walkway) is basically a frozen lump of snow-ice about 5" tall.  I'm a big guy and I can't make a dent in it with my foot.

I've got 3.7" on top of my car, though that's probably an underestimate since some of the sleet may have just rolled off onto the ground. I don't have a good location to measure it elsewhere.

That's around what I had on top of my car, as well.  But, I also noticed that there was a lot of snow piled up all around it to the side, as if, yes, much of the sleet just rolled off.  I have a couple of good, sheltered measuring locations in a grassy field between my place and the building to the north of mine; from measuring three or four times during the night, I arrived at a total of 5.9", which seems to agree basically with what PennMan and Jamie got.  

So winds this afternoon, 15-20, are going to cause bigger issues won't they? All the heavy branches and lines flying in the winds doesn't pain a sustainable picture for electricity.

that is what I am curious to see... are we sheltered from the 40s ahead of the front in west virginia/southwest pa where it is getting gusty now so not all ice melts if much even melts at all

Archived