• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

With regards to tonight's wind, I just took a walk on the Millersville University campus, and a very encouraging sign is that the vast majority of trees here have shed all or most of their ice. Keep in mind that (in Millersville) this melting process started practically as soon as the sun rose and this afternoon we hit 33-34 degrees for a few hours with sunshine nearly peaking through the clouds at times.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regards to tonight's wind, I just took a walk on the Millersville University campus, and a very encouraging sign is that the vast majority of trees here have shed all or most of their ice. Keep in

mind that (in Millersville) this melting process started practically as soon as the sun rose and this afternoon we hit 33-34 degrees for a few hours with sunshine nearly peaking through the

clouds at times.

Just got home from work and I was surprised at how little ice was left on the power lines. Some trees are still caked. Actually I am at 35.6 now.

I know it is the NAM and the 18z NAM at that but this is darn close. it goes OTS but I don't think it would take much to ride up the coast.

I am no expert though:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/ImageFourPanel.php?model=nam&area=namer&cycle=18&fhr=069&param=500_vort_ht|1000_500_thick|700_rh_ht|850_temp_ht&size=medium

that southern stream wave has no shot for us by itself. Problem is it runs way out ahead of the northern stream trough that we need to phase in. Either we need more interaction and phase between the two or a weaker front runner and leave enough behind for the trailing vort with better upper support to amp by itself.

Just got home from work and I was surprised at how little ice was left on the power lines. Some trees are still caked. Actually I am at 35.6 now.

In short, I do not think this will be as much of an issue (especially down in Millersville) as many seem to be making it. The trees here simply do not have 1/2" of ice on them anymore--given the fact that the ice has been constantly melting for the past 8+ hours.

that southern stream wave has no shot for us by itself. Problem is it runs way out ahead of the northern stream trough that we need to phase in. Either we need more interaction and phase between the two or a weaker front runner and leave enough behind for the trailing vort with better upper support to amp by itself.

Thanks

Maybe someone can help me out with something driving me crazy. I stayed in Baltimore last night so I could get to work. The whole drive up 83 and 81 there was ice accumulation on the trees. But when I got past the 78 split on 81 and the rest of the way to pine grove in southern schuykill county suddenly no ice. Now it's no big deal but there are only 2 options why that would be and there is a problem with each. 1 would be if there was no freezing rain but there is only about 2" of sleet/snow accumulation, not enough if all the precip was snow/sleet given radar estimates are well over 1" qpf. Second option was it was too warm but that seems unlikely that it got warmer in a valley in central pa way north of places in md that had ice. Sorry but this is driving me mts anyone know what the answer is?

And yes I know I'm crazy for even worrying about it.

Local reports that power won't be restored until Saturday at the earliest. So much for "low impact."

Ya the people on here that said this won't be a big deal are looking pretty silly right now. I was honking big ice the whole time. Walked around my area today, lots of  large branches down. Glad our power lines our under ground here so no power issues. Only had it go out for a few seconds earlier today. 

Drove around for work today, from East Prospect, York County to Ephrata, Lancaster County, and then down to Windsor, York County.  The rural areas of York county have a ton of damage and still have a lot of ice on the trees.  Here are some pics from the Lower Windsor area.  For my destination, 2 out of 3 roads in were closed.  In the first pic, you can see the sun reflecting off of some of the trees, it was impressive.

post-3558-0-06224600-1391642319_thumb.jp

post-3558-0-98603000-1391642359_thumb.jp

Drove around for work today, from East Prospect, York County to Ephrata, Lancaster County, and then down to Windsor, York County.  The rural areas of York county have a ton of damage and still have a lot of ice on the trees.  Here are some pics from the Lower Windsor area.  For my destination, 2 out of 3 roads in were closed.  In the first pic, you can see the sun reflecting off of some of the trees, it was impressive.

Hey, I lived in Windsor, 66 Main Street, until we moved to York when I was two. Was wondering, are those pics on Craley Road?

Hey, I lived in Windsor, 66 Main Street, until we moved to York when I was two. Was wondering, are those pics on Craley Road?

I passed right thru there.  The (only) stoplight in Windsor was running on a generator and I didn't see a house with power down there.  Yep, the first pic is on Craley rd, and the one with the trees hanging on the wires is Abels Rd.

Archived