• Last Reply

My Wednesday guess...

Snowcast:

post-300-0-35635300-1391462829_thumb.png

Sleetcast*:

post-300-0-75900500-1391462463_thumb.png

Icecast:

post-300-0-77764300-1391462477_thumb.png

Both ptype and amounts are in question, of course, and it wouldn't shock me to see verifications quite different from this, especially in the south-central part of PA.

*I also think I overestimated the sleet-to-liquid ratio (was thinking more 5:1 rather than 3:1 for some reason), so maybe cut the sleet accumulations down by about 1/2 or 1/3 to get a more realistic value.

My Wednesday guess...

Both ptype and amounts are in question, of course, and it wouldn't shock me to see verifications quite different from this, especially in the south-central part of PA.

*I also think I overestimated the sleet-to-liquid ratio (was thinking more 5:1 rather than 3:1 for some reason), so maybe cut the sleet accumulations down by about 1/3 to get a more realistic value.

Nice maps...agree on the sleet #s...3-4" of sleet is pretty hard to attain.  10" would thrill me.

My parents report a storm total of 8" for today in Lebanon County.  Sounds like they are reconsidering not buying a snow blower this year after shoveling all of it.

Nice maps...agree on the sleet #s...3-4" of sleet is pretty hard to attain.  10" would thrill me.

My parents report a storm total of 8" for today in Lebanon County.  Sounds like they are reconsidering not buying a snow blower this year after shoveling all of it.

9-10" would be awesome... not confident we'll have enough actual liquid to deliver that much just yet, but the Euro definitely pushed me in that direction. The NAM being closer to 0.75" is somewhat concerning, but I think the whole storm is too far north on the NAM, and so I expect the heavy band on the north side to actually be over north-central PA rather than south-central NY.

What an awesome storm! I ended up with 8.5" of snow and sleet which melted down to 1.21" of liquid. Under normal circumstances this would have been our foot of snow but in this case it was only a 7:1 ratio. I've got some aching muscles to prove it. Be careful what you wish for!

Edit: We had some rain before the change over to sleet as well in that total so the ratio will be a bit higher for the snow.

34 degrees and a winter wonderland. Congrats to Steve and PSUhoffman for getting in on the action today.

Gotta go clear off the slush as we await round #2 of #3...

Thanks! We ended up here with 5.75". Not too bad for a storm that was only supposed to produce 1-2 inches for the immediate area.

My Wednesday guess...

Snowcast:

attachicon.gif20140205snowcast.png

Sleetcast*:

attachicon.gif20140205sleetcast.png

Icecast:

attachicon.gif20140205icecast.png

*I also think I overestimated the sleet-to-liquid ratio (was thinking more 5:1 rather than 3:1 for some reason), so maybe cut the sleet accumulations down by about 1/2 or 1/3 to get a more realistic value.

Nice map. Echoes my thoughts pretty much.

Archived