Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15K now. What is the deal with York county? It is the only one that is really bad. 

Not sure but no snow at all melted from the trees today the area had 6 plus. I think that had a lot to do with it, Big cracks all over if I stand out side. Temp has held at 30.9 for the past two hours. 

Shouldn't that be closer to a 1/4 inch considering you measure from the focal point which is the branch?

That's a good question. On a flat surface the number would be halved, I would think, so I wonder what the true measurement for an ice accretion is. No doubt Zak's measurement is correct for the branches/wires, but what is the true and correct measurement for reporting purposes?

That's a good question. On a flat surface the number would be halved, I would think, so I wonder what the true measurement for an ice accretion is. No doubt Zak's measurement is correct for the branches/wires, but what is the true and correct measurement for reporting purposes?

It's from the object to the edge of the ice, not total thickness on both sides. You measure cylindrical objects the same as flat ones.

Looking like I might sneak into the southern edge of the heavier band coming east. Will soften up the ground surfaces but wouldn't be surprised to see another 1/8 of an inch on the elevated surfaces. Decent ice storm but nothing really close to crippling here. Now if it would have been a couple/few degrees colder probably would have been a whole different story.

Some icy refrozen flakes and sleet mixed with huge snowflakes.  Probably 75% true snow and really coming down hard.  Still at 22°.

Looks like snow's trying to hang in there in State College by the looks of the 511 cams. It's sleeting hard down here.. appears that the heaviest precip of the event is moving through currently and its finally warmed up to a point aloft where we finally have true sleet pellets with the frozen raindrop over heavily rimed flakes. Sleet has piled up over an inch on top of the 2.3" of snow we started with. About 3.5" of combined frozen but its compacted down to around 3" or so. This stuff is going to be hard to remove when this event wraps up. 

Thus far it's been a purely "dry" ice event with no freezing rain. I'm sure the glaze on top will be coming once precip lightens up later this morning. Temps have been rock solid around 24. 

Looks like snow's trying to hang in there in State College by the looks of the 511 cams. It's sleeting hard down here.. appears that the heaviest precip of the event is moving through currently and its finally warmed up to a point aloft where we finally have true sleet pellets with the frozen raindrop over heavily rimed flakes. Sleet has piled up over an inch on top of the 2.3" of snow we started with. About 3.5" of combined frozen but its compacted down to around 3" or so. This stuff is going to be hard to remove when this event wraps up. 

Thus far it's been a purely "dry" ice event with no freezing rain. I'm sure the glaze on top will be coming once precip lightens up later this morning. Temps have been rock solid around 24. 

Yeah I can see the snow/sleet line on the correlation coefficient images...stubbornly hanging on the southern Centre County border.  We had a maybe a quarter inch of sleet and some freezing drizzle at some point, but not enough to form a true glaze on the snow...it's like walking in sand now. I should have a decent shot at 6". Still 22° here.

DAM!!!!!!!! Just had a pine come down and take my power line out in the back yard. Still have power but the line is on the ground.

I have been listening to the local scanner and it has been all about lines down the past hour... I am sure the accidents will pick up again in the next hour or so due to slick spots

Archived