Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and The Fringes - February 2014 Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on ground reports from Cashtown and AlexP it seems like it is just a matter of 15 minutes until I start to switch back over to ZR.  Just measured 0.8" of sleet on the board.

Temp up just a bit but still holding at 27.0 degrees.  I guess the sign of the changeover will be the rising temps.  But, for the moment the pinging continues unabated.

Even though dual-pol would suggest I might be getting snow right now, it's actually more like sleet than snow. But in reality, I'd characterize the precip as "very heavily rimed, partially melted and refrozen snow".

That's how it's been down here, it's hard for me to call it a true sleet that pounds holes in the snow when it falls. Lot's of snow grains too. Still some actual snowflakes making it down. 

Really haven't found any pronounced warming via mesoanalysis either. It seems that there could be a thin slightly above freezing layer somewhere between 850 and 700mb but both layers are still just below freezing near UNV. What is still deeply below freezing is the 925mb layer, which has the -6C isotherm dipping all the way south of Altoona. 

During writing this post snow has become the more dominant p-type again for the moment lol. 

Archived