• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Spring 2014 Med/Long Range Discussion

andyhb

The 12z Euro has rain to significant snow for northern IL and southern WI on Monday, and absolutely brutal cold for mid April to follow on Tuesday. -12 at 850 mb over Chicago and -14 over MKE.

Sent from my SCH-I535

the 12z GEM also has a significant snowstorm, although much further east (PA). Interesting that all the models have been hinting at a snowstorm somewhere a week from now.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the mean of those two and you've got yourself a Detroit snow record ;)

:thumbsup:

Speaking of the record....it sucks that we are so close...because I was inspecting 1880-81 very closely...and being SO old....there appear to be a few discrepancies. Xmacis only has a total snowfall of 79.4" that winter. I have the data that I copied when I went to the NWS 12 years ago...and I matched it with xmacis. There definitely appear to be some snow totals missing from xmacis (ie the 79.4 is def low), but there do appear to be one or two snow totals from my marked down data (the 93.6" from the nws books) that seemed suspectly high. Nothing major...but its all the difference in a record or not. Im NOT AT ALL saying that 93.6" needs to be challenged or anything...just that the archaic snow records from 1874 til about 1885 do appear to have a few holes that DTX did a good job at filling...but get screwed up in the electronic xmacis data. Its a record that has stood since the infancy of weather data, and in some ways (looking at Lansings data) I still say this winter was a TAD harsher overall....just a TAD....so we need to get that 2" somehow, even though it really means nothing in terms of the impact this winter had.

The 12z Euro has rain to significant snow for northern IL and southern WI on Monday, and absolutely brutal cold for mid April to follow on Tuesday. -12 at 850 mb over Chicago and -14 over MKE.

Sent from my SCH-I535

anyone who called for anything other than a cold/brutal spring hasn't been paying attention

LOT put together a nice piece a while back about springs or summers following super cold winters…the prognosis was terrible.

this has been a "cold and brutal" spring?

-8.1° is pretty brutal to me. Granted, April has only been -0.9° so far.CLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA823 AM EDT TUE APR 1 2014......................................THE FORT WAYNE CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH 2014...CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1897 TO 2014WEATHER         OBSERVED          NORMAL  DEPART  LAST YEAR`S                 VALUE   DATE(S)  VALUE   FROM    VALUE  DATE(S)                                          NORMAL................................................................TEMPERATURE (F)RECORD HIGH              87   03/21/2012 LOW              -10   03/01/1967HIGHEST            65   03/31        MM      MM       60  03/31LOWEST             -3   03/03        MM      MM       11  03/21AVG. MAXIMUM     40.3              48.0    -7.7     40.2AVG. MINIMUM     20.4              28.7    -8.3     25.9MEAN             30.3              38.4    -8.1

-8.1° is pretty brutal to me. Granted, April has only been -0.9° so far.CLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA823 AM EDT TUE APR 1 2014......................................THE FORT WAYNE CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH 2014...CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1897 TO 2014WEATHER         OBSERVED          NORMAL  DEPART  LAST YEAR`S                 VALUE   DATE(S)  VALUE   FROM    VALUE  DATE(S)                                          NORMAL................................................................TEMPERATURE (F)RECORD HIGH              87   03/21/2012 LOW              -10   03/01/1967HIGHEST            65   03/31        MM      MM       60  03/31LOWEST             -3   03/03        MM      MM       11  03/21AVG. MAXIMUM     40.3              48.0    -7.7     40.2AVG. MINIMUM     20.4              28.7    -8.3     25.9MEAN             30.3              38.4    -8.1

In 2 or 3 weeks, theres a big rowing regatta in Wyandotte that brings high school rowers from throughout the midwest, northeast, and canada to Wyandotte. Its a big event every year in late April, and this is what the river looks like today....I dont even think the rowers have been on the water yet. That is a cold spring.

4024-800.jpg

The system that the Euro is showing for next weekend is fascinating to me.  If the surface low sets up over the Dakotas Saturday, as is hinted, that could leave the MPX CWA in the warm sector with dews in the mid 50's maybe approaching 60°.  Depending on the amount of sunshine realized on Saturday we could see some strong to severe storms before the cold front arrives.  The cold front should arrive sometime Saturday evening leaving us to warm for the snow, but the said cold front appears to be strong for this time of year, and it will be slow moving.  Timing will be critical with this event in respect to snow, overnight snow totals could get out of hand quickly.  Very interesting indeed, possible severe up here and snow to the SE.  What a end to the cold season, if this develops.

A ways out there but decent severe setup on Sunday, would be farther north along the warm front in northern IL Sunday evening on the 12z Euro verbatim and farther south over central IL and IN south of the front during the day Sunday per the GFS and GEM. ECMWF has been consistently slowest and strongest amongst the operational runs for the past several model cycles.

There's excellent model agreement on average to above average temps out to the 10 day range.  We are not talking about an individual system here...it would be a huge model failure to see it evolve into a cold pattern.  Of course, in Alek's case, living 3 feet from the lake might cause some lake breeze issues on any days with weak gradients.   

There's excellent model agreement on average to above average temps out to the 10 day range.  We are not talking about an individual system here...it would be a huge model failure to see it evolve into a cold pattern.  Of course, in Alek's case, living 3 feet from the lake might cause some lake breeze issues on any days with weak gradients.   

Yes, synoptically it going to be a warm pattern. I wouldn't even toss based upon the lake as there looks to be pretty good gradients most of the days. Also it is silly to toss based upon the mesoscale, if the weekend was any indication most areas are going to be warm with a few random cool spots that will be the exception vs the rule.

Archived