Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Med/Long Range Discussion

andyhb

consider me Cosgrove's biggest cheerleader as of now,

LC: "Despite the scenario offered by the ECMWF and CFS weeklies, I think it unwise to stick with a cold forecast for much of the U.S. in March. There is no support for much Arctic air advection on any dynamical model (in this case the GFS, ECMWF and GGEM ensemble formats), and the key features associated with the harshest winter since 1981-82 are lifting out. With the cAk vortex fragmented and along the Arctic Circle, a semizonal flow will set up across the northern Pacific Ocean and though the lower 48 states. So the trends which develop in the first week of March are likely to continue, if not expand, through the middle of the month. That is, milder temperatures and chances for significant rainfall, with less emphasis on frozen precipitation."

JB and wxbell going for a cold and stormy March.  Lines drawn, will be interesting to see who wins this.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @ the chaser community getting excited over 2 week GFS nonsense.

Yeah way too early to get excited, now if we are seeing a full latitudinal trough like that 5 days out then excitement would probably be sky high, considering the lack of severe weather this winter had.

consider me Cosgrove's biggest cheerleader as of now,

LC: "Despite the scenario offered by the ECMWF and CFS weeklies, I think it unwise to stick with a cold forecast for much of the U.S. in March. There is no support for much Arctic air advection on any dynamical model (in this case the GFS, ECMWF and GGEM ensemble formats), and the key features associated with the harshest winter since 1981-82 are lifting out. With the cAk vortex fragmented and along the Arctic Circle, a semizonal flow will set up across the northern Pacific Ocean and though the lower 48 states. So the trends which develop in the first week of March are likely to continue, if not expand, through the middle of the month. That is, milder temperatures and chances for significant rainfall, with less emphasis on frozen precipitation."

JB and wxbell going for a cold and stormy March. Lines drawn, will be interesting to see who wins this.

the negative departures that will be in place after marches first 2 weeks will be awfully difficult to erase, so I think going for a colder than normal march is definitely the wise choice.

I'm becoming rather intrigued by the potential for an uptick in severe weather in the last couple weeks of the month. Most of the ensemble members indicate a substantial drop in the PNA by the third week of the month in addition to a large AO spike and continued positive NAO. Reading Sam's twitter and checking the indices, it also appears that there will be poleward progression of AAM in this timeframe.

All of these factors would support western troughing and potential leeside cyclogenesis/warm sector advection.

18z GFS for March 12 finally starting to show warmer incursions for the second half of the month to the midwest with a possible nice spring storm for the first weekend of astronomical spring.  One model...one run....but out to 384 the systems start to traverse farther north as would be expected this time of year.   There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

18z GFS for March 12 finally starting to show warmer incursions for the second half of the month to the midwest with a possible nice spring storm for the first weekend of astronomical spring.  One model...one run....but out to 384 the systems start to traverse farther north as would be expected this time of year.   There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

The problem is the GFS is already out of whack even before we get that far, it tracks the 18th-19th storm across the Canadian border while all the other models have it about 400 miles south of that, including some of the GFS ensembles. At this point it might be right but it is probably 5 days too fast for a warm up like it always is at this range.

The problem is the GFS is already out of whack even before we get that far, it tracks the 18th-19th storm across the Canadian border while all the other models have it about 400 miles south of that, including some of the GFS ensembles. At this point it might be right but it is probably 5 days too fast for a warm up like it always is at this range.

I'm hoping Andy's post prior to mine works out. :icecream:

Would love to know what teleconnections they are looking at?

Not saying they are gonna be wrong.

Only big change i have seen is with the PNA. The EPO is as negative as ever ( despite modeling which said it would go positive for a lil while ) and the AO is at neutral. Typically this combo would favor more storms along the west coast ( this they are correct about )  and more of a se ridge BUT this is somewhat dependent on the Atlantic ( NAO etc ) etc. Does not support temps in the 50s/60s in the DVN area. If anything temps would be below normal out that way as the trough would be situated further west then what we have seen alot of this winter and thus from the GL to the west coast vs GL to east coast unless the NAO tanks then it is coast to coast below normal.

AGAIN not saying that is how it will all work out. Just explaining what usually happens.

There is the teleconnection to the Bering Sea and translating the tropical ISO to the mid-latitude.

The Bering Sea Rule states what happens over there in specific regions teleconnects to specific regions of CONUS ~19 days later. The ISO/Rossby teleconnection utilizes the short-term and long-term components of the tropical ISO and correlates the cycles to the mid-latitude recurring Rossby Wave Train.

There is the teleconnection to the Bering Sea and translating the tropical ISO to the mid-latitude.

The Bering Sea Rule states what happens over there in specific regions teleconnects to specific regions of CONUS ~19 days later. The ISO/Rossby teleconnection utilizes the short-term and long-term components of the tropical ISO and correlates the cycles to the mid-latitude recurring Rossby Wave Train.

Oh i know that.. Note the date of the post i made. How did it work out? So again i am still not sure what they were looking at? You cannot make such a call on that alone especially not this winter as they have had mixed signals since the start. Note the comments around this board ( other sub forums etc ) about the MJO not being in sync and thus see the Wheeler chart. At the end other then some long range model shenanigans there really was no real support for the kind of pattern change that they ( that forecaster ) had called for.

Archived