• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Med/Long Range Discussion

andyhb

Well the euro weeklies have changed their tune for week 2 and 3.. Now showing above normal temps.. Even up in Canada alot of the cold/below normal temps is pushed out.. Colder/BN comes back a bit week 4 but meh that is way out.. Week 2 has more of a western trough/eastern ridge while 3 has the famed GOA low and thus +EPO..

Perfect timing for a GOA low to root itself... Winter is over and snow weenies should be content.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one am glad to see winter exit.

It was epic that is for sure.  I don't think I have enjoyed a winter this much in quite a number of years. 

However, the snow and cold gets rather tiresome by mid-March.  

Bring on some spring, and thunderstorms.

It was epic that is for sure.  I don't think I have enjoyed a winter this much in quite a number of years. 

^This

Ground is unfreezing now, snow is gone, migratory birds are back and by the trends - it looks like mainly rain from here on out.

With a PNA forecasted to go negative I could see where the SE ridge is more of an influence and the blocking funnels the coldest air into the Northeast and Canadian Maritimes. Polar vortex is collapsing and JB should be acknowledging that.

Good read on why the warm up might extend well into April.

http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com/2014/03/seasonal-to-above-normal-temperatures.html#links

---

EURO showing the system around the 1st mainly rain now as the low brings milder air northward.

not going to bite too hard on the all out warmth but it does look like good consensus for much more seasonable to occasionally slightly above average temps which is going to feel great after the past few months. Good stuff.

Saturday night lows might sit at 40 around here according to the EURO.  Amazing. Only kidding but it feels tropical when it breaks 30 without wind around here.

Lezak Recurring Cycle...lol

There's people that swear by that but I'm a bit skeptical myself.  Seems like it's too easy to move the goalposts.

Read through that blog occasionally myself and am also skeptical. I think its ok to use as another piece of evidence when forecasting but that blog puts too much emphasis on it IMO.

Today it just became irritating.  Here we are in late March, no snow on the ground, and bright sunshine and yet the temp was still below freezing at 2 in the afternoon.   

Didn't he say march would flip to warm?? How did that turn out

He flipped his warm March to cold back in mid Feb....(to his credit)...admitting he was guilty of flip flopping.   Right now he is about ready to blow out a forehead vein trying to will an atlantic storm far enough west to bring the I-95 corridor a snowstorm in 2 days. 

He has been absolutely horrid in Feb and March regarding snowstorm tracks.   Ironically missing the last two DC snowstorms by claiming they would trend north.  

There was a time when JB had every low pressure system east of the Mississippi targeting DC with a blizzard....now he's missing their snowstorms.   I'm guessing wxbell subscriptions from DC must be lacking severely.

He flipped his warm March to cold back in mid Feb....(to his credit)...admitting he was guilty of flip flopping.   Right now he is about ready to blow out a forehead vein trying to will an atlantic storm far enough west to bring the I-95 corridor a snowstorm in 2 days. 

He has been absolutely horrid in Feb and March regarding snowstorm tracks.   Ironically missing the last two DC snowstorms by claiming they would trend north.  

There was a time when JB had every low pressure system east of the Mississippi targeting DC with a blizzard....now he's missing their snowstorms.   I'm guessing wxbell subscriptions from DC must be lacking severely.

I think he's trying to will too much cold air now. He'll become more inaccurate as the next week or two goes on.

Haha, probably not a major subscriber base there!

This has been an epic winter but I've had about enough. March 24 and the glacier won't leave. Just hope this is gone by Easter...

Today it just became irritating.  Here we are in late March, no snow on the ground, and bright sunshine and yet the temp was still below freezing at 2 in the afternoon.

post-2502-0-11690400-1395692829_thumb.jp

Definitely looks like winter is down to its last breaths. There is some sneaky low level cold around Hudson Bay that, given some downstream blocking, could make things messy at some point next week but I wouldn't count on it.

Euro wants to hint at a wintry threat in the D9-10 range. Pacific pattern looks less then ideal but blocking ramps up across greenland as a classic archembault progression takes place this week w/ the atlantic canada system. Wouldn't be surprised to see some wintry precip in april if that block sticks around... we do average ~6cm at YYZ I believe.

This has been an epic winter but I've had about enough. March 24 and the glacier won't leave. Just hope this is gone by Easter...

Just got back from Boyne last night.  Just incredible to see that much snow still on the ground in MI.  South of West Branch there are plenty of bare spots in the farm fields but still major piles and drifts and still snow cover in wooded areas.  North of West Branch to Grayling is mostly decent snow cover ... north of Grayling is still mid-winter. 

My trip these past 3 days felt like end of February instead of end of March!!!

Archived