joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2014 Med/Long Range Discussion

andyhb

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from Boyne last night.  Just incredible to see that much snow still on the ground in MI.  South of West Branch there are plenty of bare spots in the farm fields but still major piles and drifts and still snow cover in wooded areas.  North of West Branch to Grayling is mostly decent snow cover ... north of Grayling is still mid-winter. 

My trip these past 3 days felt like end of February instead of end of March!!!

I would like to see a 2 day slow and steady soaker with 50's. Fresh snow is no match for the late March sun, but the massive season long snowpack hasn't budged in depth all week.

From what I have seen talked about a rapid change to Nino typically means a cooler than normal spring in the GLs.  Looks like it could be the never-ending-story for us.  There have been some hints in the models of a -NAO and -AO  with possibly +PNA coming in April ... now that would be incredible (no; it is not what I personally want).

Just got back from Boyne last night.  Just incredible to see that much snow still on the ground in MI.  South of West Branch there are plenty of bare spots in the farm fields but still major piles and drifts and still snow cover in wooded areas.  North of West Branch to Grayling is mostly decent snow cover ... north of Grayling is still mid-winter. 

My trip these past 3 days felt like end of February instead of end of March!!!

I can fully second that! Can't believe how much snow is still around these parts, and with more surely coming the next week or two based on the overall expected pattern. 

Here's a pic I took this morning, just after the low of -6 here at the house. At least the sun is out. 

post-1166-0-75740200-1395848666_thumb.jp

right, but your entering the warm season and teleconnectors start behaving differently, definitely by May. The -NAO is not your friend.

Cool since you are talking about a warm April then I know my post is a lock!!!

FYI ... Yes I know come June a -NAO can mean warmth in MI but last I check I was talking April in my post.

OK...i'm ready for summer.  I want to put away the boots, gloves, hats, jackets..just forget about them for a long time.  I hate 70F+ dew points, but at this point i'd rather run the AC then the furnace... 

NAEFS=fail

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/naefs/semaine2_combinee_e.html

we'll be lucky to leaf out in April at this rate.

At ORD DJF precip was 7.24", which is above the average of 5.77"

Well at least in the last 60 days areas of the sub forum have been drying out. Chicago and immediate surrounding areas are the exception.

Just realized how dry it is downstate. 

60dPNormMRCC.png

Met winter wasn't too bad except for southern WI and central IL.

Last3mPNormMRCC.png

After this system next week, the GFS shows a zonal flow straight through till 384 hours. Parade of rain storms.

Been showing the same thing for the last several runs. 

I wouldn't write off the wintry potential of that storm toward the end of next week.

Archived