Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 3rd event

Brian5671

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jm.....it's not a huge jump by any means, but there was a bit of a jump north this run. 2-3" now, whereas it was under 2" before. Overall it is a hit drier around phl tho and SNJ takes a whalloping this run

I see now that it went a little bit north, overall though it's drier for most of us. The 0.50" line that went through Brooklyn last run is now over northern Monmouth County.

You know what's funny Twc is completely ignoring this storm. There snowfall through Wednesday map shows no snow south of NYC! Wtf is wrong with them? I think at least an advisory snow here is a lock.

And mikes post is hilarious other then the snow Feilds of mt Washington good luck finding snow on memorial day

500mb heights and the northern extent of the precip shield have increased at least 4 straight runs on the NAM.  Although QPF did decrease slightly in a few areas from 12z to 18z, which is a trivial change IMO.  The northward trend appears associated with run by run increases in the amplitude of the s/w ridge in Quebec province.  It's pretty clear when you cycle through the past 4 runs.  The northward trend does not appear associated with increased strength, sharpness, or amplitude of the southern stream s/w responsible for the storm.

Very moisture packed little disturbance because of it's southern stream origins and I could see some surprisingly high snowfall amounts with this as well as intense snow bands. The 4K Nam looks really impressive and whatever minor QPF cutback the Nam showed is really trivial, and I wouldn't be surprised if it really increased the QPF next run. 

Very moisture packed little disturbance since it's of southern stream origins so I would see some surprisingly high snowfall amounts with this as well as intense snow bands. The 4K Nam looks really impressive and whatever minor QPF cutback the Nam showed is really trivial, and I wouldn't be surprised if it really increased the QPF next run. 

I'm not worried about it because every other model is quite wet and there is a lot of Gulf moisture helping out. There could be a band somewhere of really impressive snow amounts, maybe up to 10". It looks like a thump and go 8 hour system for the most part. It could be a very bad Monday morning and evening commute once more.

Mr. G isn't a meteorologist, Sam Champion, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. If you graduated with a Meteorology degree and practice it for a living, you're a meteorologist.

Pro forecaster tags are meant for those that work in the field but don't have full met degrees.

Mr. G isn't a meteorologist, Sam Champion, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. If you graduated with a Meteorology degree and practice it for a living, you're a meteorologist.

Right, that's what I thought. In a licensed profession, it is usually illegal to practice without the credentials. Everything from hair stylist to surgeon. Teaching is not a licensed profession ( it is certificated, hence it is not illegal to teach w/o credentials in private schools ). In other words, you can still know your weather jm, even if you didn't go to grad school. So what time is this storm coming together, cause we are out of snow days in most towns around central NJ.

Right, that's what I thought. In a licensed profession, it is usually illegal to practice without the credentials. Everything from hair stylist to surgeon. Teaching is not a licensed profession ( it is certificated, hence it is not illegal to teach w/o credentials in private schools ). In other words, you can still know your weather jm, even if you didn't go to grad school. So what time is this storm coming together, cause we are out of snow days in most towns around central NJ.

But there's a difference between a meteorologist/forecaster and a broadcast weather personality. One can do that easily without being a meteorologist as long as you have some clue what you're talking about. But I doubt the nws is hiring someone without a degree in meteorology (usually even requiring a masters)

I don't think you need a degree to practice meteorology. I may be wrong, I don't know, but I don't think it is a licensed profession. But you just can't call yourself a met if you aren't one. Wasn't Frank Fields an ophthalmologist or optometrist ( 2 different degrees by the way )?

no you don't just ask "DR". Bob Harris :mapsnow:

Archived