e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the talk of GFS caving to the Euros warm cutter have ceased but nary a mention of the fact Euro has been colder each run.

GFS trended a lot more toward the Euro than vice-versa...Euro trended less amped for Saturday, but lets nt forget that the GFS was tracking that thing over LI a couple days ago. It might not track over toronto like the Euro said, but it should still be NW over centra/upstate NY. That's pretty much where the GFS tracks it now. 70/30 compromise in favor of the EC

Unless you are talking about 2/5....but that is out in clown range...that means nothing yet.

Afraid some serious suppression depression might be in store for our NNE peeps.

And when the suppression ends, we'll probably return to cutters.  At least my area in the CAD capital holds on to snowpack, which at 15-16" is about average for the date.

wouldn't be surprised to see the cutters return. I keep saying that we've probably had the best part of winter already. Just hope I'm wrong.Best place be this year is the upper mid west.

He is fine, I am not concerned about suppression this time around unless it ends up a sheared out POS

And we know how these southern systems love to juice up as we approach T-0 if we get a lot of convection firing in the SE/GOM. We'll see. It's in lalaland so everything is on the table.

And we know how these southern systems love to juice up as we approach T-0 if we get a lot of convection firing in the SE/GOM. We'll see. It's in lalaland so everything is on the table.

Good chance i won't have to walk around in a shawl holding a fresh pot of coffee with qpf concerns with this systems origin

Well if anything at least the first portion of February looks to be quite active with several storm threats.  Basically exactly what you want to see at this stage.  As for the pattern and how that sets up...it certainly is more favorable than unfavorable but any  more details will just have to be ironed out as you close in on any threats.  

At least it's looking like we'll see continued ridging into Alaska which is always a positive.  

Although the GFS/euro develop some pretty strong ridging across the East by about Day 10...but perhaps it's only brief and then looks like another PV plunge...this time in to northern New England and that pattern post D10 would favor strongest cold anomalies here in New England...maybe we haven't seen our coldest wx yet lol

The bigger question is how much will the ridge retro towards NE Siberia? Ironically if that does happen it shifts the troughing towards the East Coast as the PV tries to move towards eastern Canada. I feel like models are killing the MJO too quickly as it appears to want to stay near the maritime continent as converging 850mb winds and a developing warm water pool (which may be our Nino) try to develop. 

I have noticed a tendency for this retrogression to be too quick, but it appears it will happen in some shape or form. As that happens and the WP flips..you almost might see a tendency for weak ridging over the west coast which may be part of the reason for a PV shift. Also, some signs ridging may build back again in the same area if it does retro. You can see subtle signs of this at the ends of the EC run.

We talked about cleaning up the disussion threads last night in banter and then the met weenie tries to stir ish up today.

I also think it could be supressed, IF....and thats a big, IF the pv slides to our NE instead of over the GL. I pray to the gods I dont believe in that my opinion will not be viewed as a weenie wishcast.

Whats the take on the Mon Euro system which prints out 3-5 inches for a lot of SNE?

That's the 2nd run in the last coupel days that the Euro showed it, but it doesn't seem to have much ensemble support. Its been on and off on the OP runs though.

At the moment it is just another possible outcome, but I'd put it on the more unlikely side right now. We'll see how 12z goes. The multiple shortwaves in the flow with a gradient developing in the east makes for a highly uncertain forecast....but one that favors storminess next week.

Ginx starting regional wars. A week+ out is a long time.

Haha.  That was more for his northern VT friends ;)

Things have just been moving around all over the place...could very well amp back up and then even suppress again.  We have enough time for it to go back to Toronto and then back south again.  Not overly concerned at this point.

That's the 2nd run in the last coupel days that the Euro showed it, but it doesn't seem to have much ensemble support. Its been on and off on the OP runs though.

At the moment it is just another possible outcome, but I'd put it on the more unlikely side right now. We'll see how 12z goes. The multiple shortwaves in the flow with a gradient developing in the east makes for a highly uncertain forecast....but one that favors storminess next week.

Thanks

Haha.  That was more for his northern VT friends ;)

Things have just been moving around all over the place...could very well amp back up and then even suppress again.  We have enough time for it to go back to Toronto and then back south again.  Not overly concerned at this point.

I have friends in NNNE who would be more depressed as they don"t have a magic mountain in their back yard

Vermont having a bottom 10 snowy month of Jan. That turns arounds Saturday with 5"-10", widespread all in one day. FEBRUARY starts off sweet

Archived