Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Harv's bud Cohen now probably has his answer on what a split signal means. Snow cover extent can override snow cover growth.

Well the AO has still averaged out positive this winter thus far...so the the snow cover growth is still "winning". But if February continues to the recent -AO pattern, then we could finish near neutral.

I have friends in NNNE who would be more depressed as they don"t have a magic mountain in their back yard

Vermont having a bottom 10 snowy month of Jan. That turns arounds Saturday with 5"-10", widespread all in one day. FEBRUARY starts off sweet

What is N.NNE?  Like FVE and CAR?

I hope we get 5-10" of SHSN on Saturday... but yeah, the Vermont having a bottom 10 snowy month in January was pretty evident early on.  That shouldn't be a surprise to many.  I think it turns around here for the second half of winter.

Speaking of odd patterns though... coastalwx and the BOS area totals are higher than Mammoth Mountain at 10,000ft in the Sierra at the end of January.  That's gotta be a first for so late in the season.  Mods move if you think this gets off-topic.

I hope we get 5-10" of SHSN on Saturday... but yeah, the Vermont having a bottom 10 snowy month in January was pretty evident early on.  That shouldn't be a surprise to many.  I think it turns around here for the second half of winter.

Speaking of odd patterns though... coastalwx and the BOS area totals are higher than Mammoth Mountain at 10,000ft in the Sierra at the end of January.  That's gotta be a first for so late in the season.  Mods move if you think this gets off-topic.

1976-1977 had only 26" of snow at the end of January at Mammoth...BOS had them beat that year to that point with 41.4". Mammoth is pretty far south, their variance is higher than a few hundred miles further north like Tahoe.

1976-1977 had only 26" of snow at the end of January at Mammoth...BOS had them beat that year to that point with 41.4". Mammoth is pretty far south, their variance is higher than a few hundred miles further north like Tahoe.

Mammoth can get a seasons of Boston snow in one storm and that how they do it usually, 3-5 foot dumpers with a bunch of 2-4 footers.

Nice find so quickly.  Man you are a beast with stats, lol.  I would've bet money that hadn't happened before.  But even so, Tahoe has been having a horrible year too...Alpine and Squaw have 12-18" snow depths right now from base to summit with like 15% of terrain open.  That made me feel better about our January up here, haha. 

Mammoth averages about 300 a year I think. The base (where they measure) is about 8000 ft. I have skied there. I once left Los Angeles at a sunny 87F. Mammoth had an 11 foot base. I dropped a milk container in the snow to keep it cold and it fell into the crevasse that resulted from the pack separating from the building. It took awhile before I heard it hit bottom....lol.

GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOUTH LAKE TAHOE...TRUCKEE...

INCLINE VILLAGE

330 AM PST WED JAN 29 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM

PST FRIDAY...

So it appears the drought/ridge is finally relenting some out there.  How will that change affect us as it propagates?

Archived